Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$100 Order Fee Charged by Tesla Now on Top of Purchase Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original order confirmation, with the subject line "Thank you for your order" has one attachment, "
Model Y Motor Vehicle Pre-Order Agreement
Terms & Condions"a 3 page pdf that looks boilerplate. Nothing specific to my order, though the document says it is made up of three documents

The email itself reads - "Your Model Y Order is Confirmed" and goes on to list what my order is (with no $ breakdown). In the column adjacent to this list is my order # and price.

on 2/21 I checked my order status, took a pdf of the screen and it did show under documents an Order Agreement with a link. Foolish me, I did not notice this and did not click the link. Now my order page is no longer showing this, there's nothing under the listing of Documents, no Order Agreement.

I'll reach out to Tesla and see what they respond with.

Tesla may be 6 years ahead of all the other BEV manufacturers with their car software, but it looks like they've sacrificed the customer support software to do so. I wonder if they actually understand that they're selling these cars to humans.

If you are going to complain about $100 on a $55,000 Tesla, you shouldn't buy it. Otherwise they'll change prices in 6 months or a year and you'll freak out again. This happened to a lot of early Model 3 buyers. Is less than 0.2% of the purchase price worth getting bent out of shape over?

It's a fantastic car. Buy it, enjoy it, and don't look back.

Reactions: GOFORIT5
Not looking back and not freaking out, but fair's fair.

I "chatted" with Tesla today.
Here's the relevant text from the chat

Brian
12:07 PM
I am concerned that from the time I ordered to now, there has been an additional "Order Fee" of $100 added to other accounts. When I placed my order this was not included. Am I subject to this "new" fee?
Nicole
12:08 PM
When you ordered there was a $2500 deposit required?
Brian
12:09 PM
Yes, that was paid
Nicole
12:09 PM
Perfect! We changed that a couple months ago from a refundable $2500 payment to a $100 nonrefundable payment. We've made that change with all of our vehicles. You will not be charged an additional $100.

If you are going to complain about $100 on a $55,000 Tesla, you shouldn't buy it. Otherwise they'll change prices in 6 months or a year and you'll freak out again. This happened to a lot of early Model 3 buyers. Is less than 0.2% of the purchase price worth getting bent out of shape over?

It's a fantastic car. Buy it, enjoy it, and don't look back.

Just took a shot of Teslaquila. Love this drinking game.

• Funny
Reactions: beezy
I also made the $2,500 deposit and now see the $100 Order Fee removed from my order details. Good to see they made this correction.

When you say you "now" see it "removed on order details".. I never had it on my *order* - but it's still there on the price breakdown ....

But thanks for the positive feedback from the Tesla rep - hopefully they will correct that...

As to the "if you're worrying about $100" comment further up... Yes it's peanuts in the cost of the car - but it's still a dinner out to celebrate my shiny new car..

The chat person I "chatted" with said that Tesla was in the process of updating accounts, that's why I don't see any pricing details.

Sounds to me like they have a bunch of people running around randomly "updating" accounts. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who's account shows what. Not very encouraging.

You made a payment back in 1969? lol

I'm sure many people know this, but just in case - 1970/01/01 00:00 GMT is the earliest date that can be represented by (most) Unix computer systems, and it has propagated in many other systems as well.

Given that US is "behind" GMT, "0" in US timezones is somewhere late on 1969/12/31, hence the date.

What this tells us is that some update in their order system reset the order date to null or 0, and the web UI faithfully renders that as 31st December 1969. Yay for testing…

I'm sure many people know this, but just in case - 1970/01/01 00:00 GMT is the earliest date that can be represented by (most) Unix computer systems, and it has propagated in many other systems as well.

Given that US is "behind" GMT, "0" in US timezones is somewhere late on 1969/12/31, hence the date.

What this tells us is that some update in their order system reset the order date to null or 0, and the web UI faithfully renders that as 31st December 1969. Yay for testing…

Makes it hard for Tesla to prioritize on order date. Maybe that is why deliveries seem random with respect to ordering.

#TeslaDumpsterFire

The $100 deposits on Model Y and Cybertruck are non-refundable. Only the $2500 Model Y reservations from pre 11/2019 are refundable.

Wrong. Cybertruck reservations are refundable:

Cybertruck Refundable.png

Last edited: