Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$100 Order fee is a fee, and not a deposit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can thank the auto industry Union for the destination fee. Now it's required for every automaker, even if they're a non union company like Tesla. And the doc fee has always been an overpriced item. Does it really cost them $75 in paper and to use an already pre made form that was just copied. You'd think the industries "Doc" fee would be included as part of the price of the vehicle, but no, it's an added expense based solely on greed.

Covers fedex fees too. Remember those plates they send you via fedex? Also covers the time for someone to stand in line at DMV filing paperwork for you.
I don’t find it unreasonable. Paying $75 just for me to avoid the DMV makes it seem worthwhile.

Covers fedex fees too. Remember those plates they send you via fedex? Also covers the time for someone to stand in line at DMV filing paperwork for you.
I don’t find it unreasonable. Paying $75 just for me to avoid the DMV makes it seem worthwhile.
That’s the thing though, in certain states Tesla either doesn’t or no longer does this for you and in fact you are charged extra for temporary permit tags...I’ll be arguing this point when it comes delivery time.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
That’s the thing though, in certain states Tesla either doesn’t or no longer does this for you and in fact you are charged extra for temporary plates...I’ll be arguing this point when it comes delivery time.

Even without that, I’m not sure it’s excessive. Document storage, scanning, etc aren’t cheap either.
It’s certainly less than any other dealership I’ve ever dealt with.

No one has sent me plates via FedEx, they were sent by the DMV. And no one is standing in line at the DMV, it's all done electronically.

Maybe in CA, but that's sure not how it's done here. Tesla (and dealerships) need to stand in line at the DMV to process paperwork. They usually batch it up and do a run every 1-2 weeks or so. Then the DMV hands them our new plates, and it's up to Tesla to fedex them to us.

It's not pleasant. Welcome to 1967-era mainframes.

• Funny
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
67754E97-6959-476E-9140-1A22557503B2.jpeg
After lots of back and forth between my sales advisor and I they finally fixed the fee and it is being credited. It was a huge hassle though so I think Tesla is just on people just giving and not fighting it.

For certain reasons, my bank needed to send the total amount listed in the MVPA, which included the original $100. (I'm in a pre-pay state). Because of this, I essentially overpaid by $100 and will have to submit an overpayment case post delivery.

I'm not sure why my Tesla account deducts the $100 correctly while the MVPA does not.