Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% Renewables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone had paid the extra ~5.5c per kWh for 100% renewable electricity now that they have a Tesla.
I understand it may be a rip-off, but just curious to know if any of you have gone down that path.

For me, with a Volt, I use battery only every day unless I go on a trip and then I use petrol as well.
If I end up getting a Tesla I would consider paying the extra 5.5c AGL is asking, for 100% renewables.

Because we use a lot of Brown Coal for electricity generation in Victoria, it would be a further contribution to clean air.

Plugging the 5.5c extra rate into my spreadsheet it would cost me about an extra $200 per year.

Being a bit lazy on research, does anyone know how this renewable energy is procured?
Does it require the retailers to source existing renewables, create new (wind farms for example) or get it from other states such as Tassie which is all renewables.
http://www.nem-watch.info/widgets/RenewEconomy/
I would imagine this would need close scrutiny/auditing to ensure they're not fudging the numbers.

I was wondering if anyone had paid the extra ~5.5c per kWh for 100% renewable electricity now that they have a Tesla.
I understand it may be a rip-off, but just curious to know if any of you have gone down that path.

For me, with a Volt, I use battery only every day unless I go on a trip and then I use petrol as well.
If I end up getting a Tesla I would consider paying the extra 5.5c AGL is asking, for 100% renewables.

Because we use a lot of Brown Coal for electricity generation in Victoria, it would be a further contribution to clean air.

Plugging the 5.5c extra rate into my spreadsheet it would cost me about an extra $200 per year.

Being a bit lazy on research, does anyone know how this renewable energy is procured?
Does it require the retailers to source existing renewables, create new (wind farms for example) or get it from other states such as Tassie which is all renewables.
http://www.nem-watch.info/widgets/RenewEconomy/
I would imagine this would need close scrutiny/auditing to ensure they're not fudging the numbers.

I switched to 100% renewables tariff with Origin when the carbon tax was repealed as it meant no real increase in the rate I would pay per kWh but at least meant something was being done about emmissions. As I understand it they are obliged to buy the equivalent amount of energy to your total use from renewable sources. That could be anywhere on the same grid (eg I believe that the whole of the east cost has interconnections, but we are not connected to WA). I think the renewable energy purchase requirement is in addition to any base commitment they give/are obliged to have.

because I have political issue with AGL (they hate the RET), they also increase your rates more than the regulated approved amount if your on a contract. I switched to click energy which don't offer 100% greenpower I just buy it separate from ATA now C3 only 4.6 c/kwh. (price has gone up $64 a MWh)

- - - Updated - - -

it's government monitored http://greenpower.gov.au/ for more info. basically it's the RET so each year we have to purchase x amount of green energy (large scale certificates) from green power approved generators. retailers use your greenpower money to meet there obligations on purchasing of green power.

We buy 100% green already basically just to reduce our carbon footprint (we inherently use quite a bit of power for various reasons and solar isn't a practical option for us as yet). Being able to use that in the Tesla soon will be a bonus.

I strongly recommend you check out and switch to Powershop.

They are a 100% renewable (as in, all of their projects are in renewable energy). What that means is you can buy either normal power or 100% green power from them, and all of the profits go back into their parent company, Meridian, who then use that money to build more renewable energy projects like windfarm.

When you purchase "green power" from the likes of AGL, Origin etc, you are making them buy the equivalent amount of certificates to meet their legal obligations. That is, they don't actually use your money to increase their investment in renewable energy products. Plus they hate the Renewable Energy Target, which is what we need for more renewable energy projects to get off the ground.

With Powershop, I actually save money compared to the big 3 AND I'm supporting a 100% green company. Feels good.

Plus they have a great app where you can monitor daily energy usage. It's awesome.

Check them out - I've switched all of my friends and family to Powershop and they love it.

I strongly recommend you check out and switch to Powershop.

They are a 100% renewable (as in, all of their projects are in renewable energy). What that means is you can buy either normal power or 100% green power from them, and all of the profits go back into their parent company, Meridian, who then use that money to build more renewable energy projects like windfarm.

+1 we use Powershop too.

I was paying for "natural power" from Synergy but now I offset my all my carbon at Community Climate Chest https://www.climatechest.org.au/host/ata/

It's a donation so tax deductible and a share of the proceeds go to local environmental groups. You can choose which renewable energy projects your money goes to.

Just ordered a 5 kW PV system. Most of the time I can charge the car during the day using solar :biggrin: