TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

100 Tesla Model S Convertibles Are Headed To China

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by mountaineer, Apr 14, 2014.

1. mountaineer

mountaineer Member

100 Tesla Model S Convertibles Are Headed To China | TechCrunch

Hold on to your hat. The Tesla Model S is about to get more breezy thanks to a drop-top conversion by Newport Convertible Engineering. Both hard and soft top conversions are now available — they don’t come cheap, though.
    A soft-top conversion costs $29K and a hard-top $49K. Plus, the buyer has to supply the Tesla Model S. But, once converted, there’s no question that you’ll have the raddest Model S parked outside of your local Blue Bottle.
    NCE just announced that an investor in China has already ordered 100 conversions. Because why not.
    According to NCE, the conversion shop has been working on the project for six months with Tesla and recently asked the car company for assistance in supplying 5,000 more Model S’s to meet demand.
    Of course as with any vehicle modification, the converted vehicle is often wildly different from a non-modified example. There is often extensive modification required to a vehicle’s frame when the top is removed, resulting in extra weight and, therefore, a car that handles differently (read: often poorly). But when the top is down and the wind is blowing through your hair, zero to 60 times are moot.

- - - Updated - - -

The demand is China is really strong. Many people think Model S is more and high-tech and fun to drive than MB S-series, BMW 7 series, Audi A8. Additionally, it's much much cheaper in China so it's a far better value.

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I could care less about less about a converted Model S, but I'm very happy to hear about 100 cars ordered with the possibility of another 5000 soon. That's a $500 million dollar sale since I doubt they would convert unloaded minimal versions.

3. maoing

maoing Active Member

is this message real?

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Quote "According to NCE, the conversion shop has been working on the project for six months with Tesla and recently asked the car company for assistance in supplying 5,000 more Model S’s to meet demand."

If that is true...WOW.

But I don't see how such a conversion could be sold in the US without going through DOT crash testing.

5. RationalOptimist

It does suggest a relatively simple new model offering. The quietness of Model S would make the convertible experience pretty thrilling. But Elon's rightful obsession w safety might well rule it out.

6. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

7. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Funny that they don't seem to know the difference between a Model S prototype (used for the photo) and an actual production car.

8. blakegallagher

#8 blakegallagher, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Thanks for this. That was very usefull .. Since this particular item is very helpful here and this thread is different from the Model S Convertible I am going to include post 13 below. If the threads are merged feel free to delete this entire posting.

The larger and darker text is my inability to quote the original and trying to manually edit it so you can get the gist of what NigelM posted :)

9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

If they buy the car from Tesla and then convert it I think they can do anything they want to it. OEM's need to crash test vehicles, not aftermarket customizers.