Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% vs Supercharging from 80-90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we run a regular trip where we need 100% to get there.
We have 2 options,
1. Charge at home to 100%
2. Charge at home to 90% and stop at the SC site that is 10% away from us along the route and charge up to 90% again, which only takes about 12 minutes. That puts us at the same SOC as we are if we pass the SC site having left home with 100% so adds 12 mins to the trip but avoids being at 100% for any time and subs that for more SC time in the 80-90% range.
What do you think is better for the batteries?

So we run a regular trip where we need 100% to get there.
We have 2 options,
1. Charge at home to 100%
2. Charge at home to 90% and stop at the SC site that is 10% away from us along the route and charge up to 90% again, which only takes about 12 minutes. That puts us at the same SOC as we are if we pass the SC site having left home with 100% so adds 12 mins to the trip but avoids being at 100% for any time and subs that for more SC time in the 80-90% range.
What do you think is better for the batteries?

You may have to do both in the winter.

I would have answered as above until about a month ago when I discovered I apparently have been throttled, and can't Supercharge above 80kW now. Now my answer would be to not Supercharge unless you have to, as it is a limited resource and apparently may damage your battery. But I'm not bitter or anything...

You may have to do both in the winter.

For winter travel and to a lesser extent hot summer days I run the HVAC heavily before leaving home while plugged in and while supercharging. Make sure you are not wasting battery on HVAC catching up if you need full battery capacity.

When traveling at single digit F temps I will preheat the car to 80F to create a heat reservoir.

I would have answered as above until about a month ago when I discovered I apparently have been throttled, and can't Supercharge above 80kW now. Now my answer would be to not Supercharge unless you have to, as it is a limited resource and apparently may damage your battery. But I'm not bitter or anything...

That is pretty messed up. What has Tesla stated to you as to the reason as why you're being capped?

That is pretty messed up. What has Tesla stated to you as to the reason as why you're being capped?
My experience in the past in getting an accurate answer from a Tesla employee about anything battery-related has been less than fruitful. I can probably guess what the answer(s) would be (assuming I could get someone to communicate). If it becomes a problem, I'll try some action. The most frustrating thing is having my charge rate go down when many others are going up.

Seems to me Supercharging at a higher rate just means you will get capped sooner...