Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1000 mile review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen on the forum that Tesla Model S--Performance can do 0-60 in 4 seconds flat or just under 4 seconds ( I know the spec sheet says 4.4 sec). Can anyone else confirm that? If so, I would not consider 4 secs vs. 3.7 secs as "kill the Model S on the track". I'm sure Panamera turbo S maybe faster, but slightly, I would say. But, then again, I'm not a car person, so maybe someone else can chime in....

jchangyy - I found the track test numbers for the model S below. 4.3 is what Edmunds could get it to do. Similar to what a Panamera GTS will do (4.1 sec), which is probably more similar in price point to the Model S. Killing the Model S on the track actually has nothing to do with 0-60 time (most races actually have running starts). Skidpad performance and Slalom performance actually are better indicators, which tell you how fast and agile a car can take corners. Panamera GTS has a slalom time of 68.6 mph and does 0.96 Gs on the skidpad. The number differences seem minor, but translates to huge lap time differences. Additionally, testers have found that the Model S loses performance as the battery heats up. Still, the numbers are impressive. 60-0 it actually brakes 3 feet shorter than the GTS!

Model S Acceleration
0-60
(sec): 4.3 (4.3 w/ TC on)

1/4-Mile
(sec @ mph): 12.6 @ 108.3 (12.6 @ 108.2 w/ TC on)

Braking
60-0
(ft): 108

Handling
Slalom
(mph): 66.8 (66.0 w/TC off)

Skid
Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.86 (0.86 w/TC on)

btw - the Boxster is a great sports car, regardless of sex. in fact, i plan on buying the new model next year, over a 911 (can afford either). does that make me a girl?

The new Boxster is phenomenal. I've been a 911 driver because the Boxster has always felt claustrophobic to me inside with the top up (and I'm not a big guy), but other than that, the new 2013 model is really fantastic. As incredible as the Tesla is, I'm still too much of a gearhead to completely give up deep exhaust notes and a manual transmission.

I'm at 1 month and about 700 miles on P85.

Agree with all of Kishdude's observations about the pluses. Foremost of which is the power delivery - which I've also described as "roller coaster". It's the only thing that I've experienced that is close. Also agree that it is very, very hard for me to enjoy driving another car after 1 month. Driving my prior car (Jag XFS) to CarMAX for disposition after first week with Model S alleviated the last shred of affection for a car I had just LOVED for almost 5 years, and confirmed there will be no buyer's remorse here. Every time I drive my wife's Mini Cooper S, I react the same: ychhh, where's the throttle response, what's this gear shift lag, what's all that noise?!?!?! I'm still OK when I drive my Jeep on snow days, because... no expectations, it's just a Jeep.

Another plus is the thought that's gone into design. Little reinvention just for reinvention's sake, but a lot of little things that just make sense. Like the door handles serving as locks. I'm one of those absent minded people who walks away and then wonders if I locked the car. Now I can see if it is locked or not. Like the battery integrated into floorpan below axle height. Great thinking, and about the only way you could get this performance out of EV with this range using today's battery technology.

Downsides: software driven car has software bugs... who woulda thunk? Still don't like the front bias audio as much as most premium systems, but I don't turn it on much anyway because the sound of silence is so captivating.

I will agree that it is NOT a car for 2 types: 1) racers. It is not - nor does it pretend to be - a track car. 2) long haul drivers. If this is going to be your only car and you take a lot of long (>280 mile) trips, you don't want this car until the charging infrastructure improves.

jchangyy - I found the track test numbers for the model S below. 4.3 is what Edmunds could get it to do. Similar to what a Panamera GTS will do (4.1 sec), which is probably more similar in price point to the Model S. Killing the Model S on the track actually has nothing to do with 0-60 time (most races actually have running starts). Skidpad performance and Slalom performance actually are better indicators, which tell you how fast and agile a car can take corners. Panamera GTS has a slalom time of 68.6 mph and does 0.96 Gs on the skidpad. The number differences seem minor, but translates to huge lap time differences. Additionally, testers have found that the Model S loses performance as the battery heats up. Still, the numbers are impressive. 60-0 it actually brakes 3 feet shorter than the GTS!

Model S Acceleration
0-60
(sec): 4.3 (4.3 w/ TC on)

1/4-Mile
(sec @ mph): 12.6 @ 108.3 (12.6 @ 108.2 w/ TC on)

Braking
60-0
(ft): 108

Handling
Slalom
(mph): 66.8 (66.0 w/TC off)

Skid
Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.86 (0.86 w/TC on)

that's fair enough. Model S was not built to be a track, racer car like porches you mentioned.

Is the Boxster a "girl's car" because women are chronically underpaid relative to men but still appreciate good engineering, or did you have some other explanation in mind?]

I've heard the Mazda Miata dismissed as a "girl's car" because it's sporty looking but doesn't have a lot of power. Ironically it's a damn good track car - lightweight with excellent balance and handling. Lots of guys in the local motorsports club run them. The same thing could be said of the Boxster, in that it doesn't have huge power but has excellent handling. The thing is, a car like that with a good driver can outclass a more brutish muscle car on the track. The brute will gain on the straights, but just watch what happens in the corners.

So you should decide to take that as a compliment - a car for someone with skills rather than a heavy foot.

(I run a Honda S2000 on the track... another "momentum" car with moderate power but great handling. Loads of fun.)

So beyond this rough start, how has the car been for us? Just as the OP said-- it is a marvel of conception, design, utility, beauty, comfort, and performance. I too, am a "car guy", having owned a Ferrari 360, a Mercedes SLK, an Audi A8, a Lancia Zagato, a Mitsubishi 3000 and others. The Model S is head and shoulders over all of them in overall quality of ownership. It is the first vehicle that is truly of this century, and an extraordinary accomplishment for the team that created it.

For sure. The Model S may have a few glitches here and there, but that will get sorted. That shouldn't take anything away from the fact that it outclasses just about everything on the road. It's so smooth, quiet, and responsive. A real pleasure to drive.