Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1000 mile road trip with SCer throttled 2015 Model S 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
I'd like some feedback from those of us with older Model S's that have now been SCer throttled.

my car does often hit 115 kW (or better) SCer rate, but that only lasts a few seconds. Even with a low SOC my car is charging below 90 KW for much for much of the charging session and i'm wondering how that will effect a 10 hour road trip with several charging stops.

when I drove from NYC to SW Florida back in January 2016 my car was (almost) always ready (ie done SCing) before the humans were ready to leave the rest-stop.

but I worry that what was in 2016 a 20 minute SCer stop will be closer to 35 minutes and if you add that to a 10 hour drive that includes several SCer stops -- and only one driver -- getting from NYC-SW FL will take way more than 2 days. I did it in 3 days years ago bc I stopped tp visit family in northern FL

I think this will all just come down to your patience level. I have a 2014 Model S 85 with about 83,000 miles on it, and just last year in about July 2020 I drove out to the Kansas City area to visit my mom. It was about 1,500 miles each direction. I don't really know if I've been throttled yet, but haven't cared to try to measure it and determine that. But either way, I wasn't bothered at all, even though, I think I don't really see over 90 kW most of the time, but that's still very sufficient for my charging stops.

But again, I am not one of those impatient people who sits in the car and fumes and stares at the display waiting for it to charge. I always plan to plug in and walk away and find something to do, so it never bothers me.

I think if you use abetterrouteplanner.com, it now uses the slower charge rates and will give you a reasonably close estimate of the charge times.

With Corona, no roadtrips.
Last one was end of 2019, in the winter for our ski vacation. We certainly noticed the difference. We have always been planning the charge stops with an activity: lunch, shopping, coffe break... and before the reduced speed, the car used to be ready way before we were. Which kinda frustrated me as we could hit the road sooner, but never did. With as consequence indeed longer travel times, but very relaxed.
That was then. Now, car usually needs another 5 or 10’ when we are reasy to go. Not a big deal but noticed by the family. “We still have time...coffee ... desert kids?” :)

I'd like some feedback from those of us with older Model S's that have now been SCer throttled.

my car does often hit 115 kW (or better) SCer rate, but that only lasts a few seconds. Even with a low SOC my car is charging below 90 KW for much for much of the charging session and i'm wondering how that will effect a 10 hour road trip with several charging stops.

when I drove from NYC to SW Florida back in January 2016 my car was (almost) always ready (ie done SCing) before the humans were ready to leave the rest-stop.

but I worry that what was in 2016 a 20 minute SCer stop will be closer to 35 minutes and if you add that to a 10 hour drive that includes several SCer stops -- and only one driver -- getting from NYC-SW FL will take way more than 2 days. I did it in 3 days years ago bc I stopped tp visit family in northern FL
If you use a better route planner you can specify chargers restricted. It will use the correct charging curve and give you realistic times for charging

If you use a better route planner you can specify chargers restricted. It will use the correct charging curve and give you realistic times for charging
ABRP is impressive - I played with it a lot, looking at driving / charging times for hypothetical trips to visit family etc, when deciding which battery size to look for.

Boeingpilot - name sounds familiar - have we met on the Vectrix forums a while back?