Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"1000 miles" of free supercharging is 400 kWh of energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To summarize:
- 8 charging sessions
- "1003 miles" consumed
- 388.59 kWh consumed (by the vehicle)
- 2.60 mi / kWh average conversion rate

So the next time you receive "1000 miles" of free supercharging credit, consider it 400 kWh! I don't know why Tesla obfuscate this, but perhaps there's a legal reason why they can't just say "400 kWh" of free energy credit. (e.g. tax implications?)
Great experiment! Regarding the "1003 miles" consumed, is this the actual number of miles traveled by the car as would be read on the odometer or is it the estimated miles that Tesla uses in its range calculations (which are often inflated)?

Neither one. It's actually third conversion rate as I mentioned in the my initial post.

To summarize:

1) EPA rating: 326 mi / 72 kWh usable = 4.52 mi/kWh (221 Wh/mi). 1000 real-world miles should in theory require "only 221 kWh" of energy.
2) Supercharger: 2.60 mi/kWh. "1000 miles" used is 400 kWh of energy.
3) Actual driving: ~3 mi/kWh (333 Wh/mi) 1000 real-world miles uses 333 kWh of energy. (This one will vary person to person based on your driving speed, but generally nobody gets even close to the EPA efficiency figures).

For something worth about $100, I never understood why people went so gaga over this 🤷‍♂️

Because it's always the small things that piss people off. You can get people to come to work at the weekends, cancel the annual merit increase, make them attend pointless team building meetings, but take away the coffee say, or close the patio where they eat lunch and you'll see them start to leave

It would be simpler and more effective to include the full $100 worth of free supercharging with each new purchase without having to use the referral system, but make it only good for the first month vs the 6 months you get with a referral, and possibly include one month of free FSD to try and entice people to buy into the FSD system.

A better system than giving 1000 to your customer and another 1000 to a random stranger would be to just automatically give 2000 to your customer