Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10'000 mAh battery chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
I must be just displacing a decimal somewhere, but I can't find the error.

Aren't these devices incredibly cheap for what they are? What am I missing?

e.g.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...8444120.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.sdTiw4&s=p

So that's let's say $5 for 10Ah @ 5V = 50Wh. (There are a bunch of places that sell them around the $5 mark).

That makes this $100 per kWh, which is far lower than Tesla or GM gets for battery prices, and it's especially since cheap since this is a packaged product.

What's stopping me from just buying 200 of these for $1000 and string together my own 10kWh powerpack? (Apart from common sense.)

Most likely the specs are not real and you would not really be able to get 50Wh out of that pack. Also, it's only 5V 1A, so it's C/10 discharge. 200 pieces would give measly 1,000W. I would also worry about the cycle life. More practically, you have to think about how you put energy back into each module. There is a separate connector for input and output. Of course, if you just used the bare cells out of these, then you could do something more straight forward.