Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D Autopilot range world record attempt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone should attempt to do a closed-circuit world record where you set the autopilot to 25mph and let the car drive itself 500+ miles until depletion. The hardest part would be finding a track with nicely painted lane markings for the autopilot to follow.

I think the hardest part would be controlling your bladder.

51rZZ3%2BuCeL._SL1500_.jpg

I question whether you really have to be in the car.

Just put some weights on the steering wheel, and use AP.

Have some lead car slow the Tesla down so you can get out, but put some weight on the seat. Then get out of the car, and have the lead get out of the way.

Then let the 100D drive itself around the closed circuit.

I question whether you really have to be in the car.

Just put some weights on the steering wheel, and use AP.

Have some lead car slow the Tesla down so you can get out, but put some weight on the seat. Then get out of the car, and have the lead get out of the way.

Then let the 100D drive itself around the closed circuit.

A closed circuit is one thing, real world driving is another.

The documented attempts so far have been impressive because they have been on real roads. They've driven slowly, sure, but the attempt was something anyone could have done (with that amount of patience... I can't drive slower than 30 without getting an eye twitch).

The documented attempts so far have been impressive because they have been on real roads. They've driven slowly, sure, but the attempt was something anyone could have done (with that amount of patience... I can't drive slower than 30 without getting an eye twitch).

I don't see much difference between a closed circuit versus out in the middle of nowhere on a straight road for hundreds of miles.

I don't take a whole lot of stock in a real world attempt unless speed limits are obtained. I don't think I could drive 25mph for very long without being driven off the road, and pummeled.

Try it. Closed circuits do you no favors. The pavement is stickier and it's mostly cornering.

Reactions: matblk
Oh please.. not another 30 mph turtle race show off. I am not sure we are proving anything by driving 25mph on circles or god forbid on a public road. And if you have a truck drive in front and you can draft right behind close and can even get 600miles.

A Tesla driving at 25mph to prove a point? it only supports the meme that EV drivers are slow and lane hogs.