Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D available and only $3000 more than 90D what should I do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Free supercharging is over rated. For someone who will be doing road trips of 3k miles a year it is worth $100 per year.

Tieing up any purchasing decision to the availability or lack of free supercharging is plain silly.

I agree. I did some calculations in another post and came out with a cost of $1.6k for 10 years of supercharging 3000 miles a year at .20/kWh. Add that to $3k upgrade charge and $.5k change fee and you are at $5.1k total cost over 10 years for someone who does heavy super charging. IMO $5.1k is still totally worth upgrading to a 100D and most likely it would cost less.

Reactions: bigez1
I agree. I did some calculations in another post and came out with a cost of $1.6k for 10 years of supercharging 3000 miles a year at .20/kWh. Add that to $3k upgrade charge and $.5k change fee and you are at $5.1k total cost over 10 years for someone who does heavy super charging. IMO $5.1k is still totally worth upgrading to a 100D and most likely it would cost less.

And remember 1000 of those miles are already available for free. And very few will actually road-trip 3000 miles every year. If you typically keep a car for say 6 years, then free supercharging benefit is less than $1000. A rounding error in a $100k+ purchase.

Ok, what really makes me feel unsafe is that,
if I change my order now, and on the delivery date (end of March), I think Tesla will introduce something cool at that moment.

"TESLA introduced 350 KW charge battery pack with 21-70 cell, 120 KwH , with $5000 more than the old 100 KWH pack".
Thing like that .

That would be fine actually, my fear is that he announce that in 7 days.

Last edited:
my wife is going to be mad anyway.
She doesn't agree me to upgrade to 100D for $3000 . Apparently she didn't read my text message when I told her I was about to upgrade from 75D to 90D by spending $10,000

She will be mad when we are on our road trip and each time we spend 40+ minutes at a Super Charger station. She will complain that the car is expensive and yet inconvenient for a trip. And 90D will of course needs more stops than a 100D.

I probably made the worst decision by buying this car simply to get the $7500 in 2017.

If she's reconciled to the 90D, maybe you can show her that the upgrade to the 100D is such a much better deal. Also, tell her about the rumors that the 100D might be able to charge faster when the new superchargers are up and running. I don't know if this reasoning will be helpful, but the upgrade from the 75D to the 90D cost $500 per additional mile of range, while the going from the 90D to the 100D will only cost $78.95 per mile.

I think Tesla will introduce something cool at that moment.

There will always be that moment. At any point in time. As a rule of thumb, every time there's some sort of sales push, there's a change to the car.

Financially, I think the jump from 90D to 100D is much more palletable than jumping from a 75D to a 90D. That's my situation though. Heck if the 60D was available, that would financially be the best deal, but might suck for someone who commutes 100 miles/each way.

Do what puts you at ease so you can enjoy the car. Our Tesla is a Model S 60D. No PUP. No SAS. No High Amp. No EAP. No FSD. And yes, it's solid black. We still absolutely love the car. Averaging 2500 miles/mo, we have yet to use a supercharger once, nor have we run out of range.

90D or 100D. Supercharger for life or not. You'll enjoy it. Don't stress over this. Is Is it a good deal? Comparatively yes. Want it? Can you afford it? If yes to both, go for it. If you don't think you need it, can afford it, then don't stress. Shrug it and keep your order.

She doesn't agree me to upgrade to 100D for $3000 . Apparently she didn't read my text message when I told her I was about to upgrade from 75D to 90D by spending $10,000

She will be mad when we are on our road trip and each time we spend 40+ minutes at a Super Charger station. She will complain that the car is expensive and yet inconvenient for a trip. And 90D will of course needs more stops than a 100D.

I probably made the worst decision by buying this car simply to get the $7500 in 2017.

Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. ;) The 100D is simply a stellar deal for a great car. It's not a bad choice. Depending on your SC habits, I think 90Ds and 100Ds are both good choices.

There will always be that moment. At any point in time. As a rule of thumb, every time there's some sort of sales push, there's a change to the car.

Financially, I think the jump from 90D to 100D is much more palletable than jumping from a 75D to a 90D. That's my situation though. Heck if the 60D was available, that would financially be the best deal, but might suck for someone who commutes 100 miles/each way.

Do what puts you at ease so you can enjoy the car. Our Tesla is a Model S 60D. No PUP. No SAS. No High Amp. No EAP. No FSD. And yes, it's solid black. We still absolutely love the car. Averaging 2500 miles/mo, we have yet to use a supercharger once, nor have we run out of range.

90D or 100D. Supercharger for life or not. You'll enjoy it. Don't stress over this. Is Is it a good deal? Comparatively yes. Want it? Can you afford it? If yes to both, go for it. If you don't think you need it, can afford it, then don't stress. Shrug it and keep your order.

I like it. No fluff. Could of knocked off another -5k to go with rear drive only!

I would be all over a S40 if Tesla would sell it again.

Really depending where you're driving you're going to be hitting nearly every SC because of how they are spaced out. Driving from Seattle to Socal this year in my S maybe there would have been one charger I could have skipped but they are so spaced out on that trip there's no skipping really unless you literally had 2x capacity. That's why I stuck with my 90D order confirmed last night.

Reactions: Quesder
Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. ;) The 100D is simply a stellar deal for a great car. It's not a bad choice. Depending on your SC habits, I think 90Ds and 100Ds are both good choices.
That's correct I shouldn't have asked for permission yesterday. I was hoping to hear some differ
If she's reconciled to the 90D, maybe you can show her that the upgrade to the 100D is such a much better deal. Also, tell her about the rumors that the 100D might be able to charge faster when the new superchargers are up and running. I don't know if this reasoning will be helpful, but the upgrade from the 75D to the 90D cost $500 per additional mile of range, while the going from the 90D to the 100D will only cost $78.95 per mile.
Hi,
I once believe that 100 pack could be able to charge at a super higher rate, but now I think it cannot.
Based on this thread.

P100D SuperCharging Rate

if it can, then the diagram should be even flatter.

That's correct I shouldn't have asked for permission yesterday. I was hoping to hear some differ

Hi,
I once believe that 100 pack could be able to charge at a super higher rate, but now I think it cannot.
Based on this thread.

P100D SuperCharging Rate

if it can, then the diagram should be even flatter.

If it's a loan payment, you can rationalize it adds very little each month for a lot more security.

I would also consider taking less options elsewhere if the boss is firm on the money amount. You can activate eap later. Many survive without the PUP package etc.

You'll definitely get a higher resale value in the future with a 100D.

The difference in price between a 60D and a 90D is $16,500. With an added range of 76 miles, that comes out to $217 per extra mile.
Now between the 90D and 100D it's only $3,000, so with an added range of 41 miles, that comes out to $73 per extra mile. Three times cheaper.

Plus, you might spend less time supercharging the same amount of miles since the charging rate significantly drops towards the end.
I'd say it's worth the extra $3,000!

Jumped the 90D ship today and changed order to 100D
Didn't think I would do it but the more I thought about it especially with being on the road often I opted to max out at 100D
One thing that pushed me over the edge is I'll need to pass thru the Chattanooga to Nashville SC's which is ~190 miles and the 100D should handle with less anxiety vs the 90D

Reactions: 1 person
I jumped already.
I estimated that $2000 may be enough for SC fees for 10 years, if the fee rate don't change.
I won't drive from Fremont to Yellow Stone anyway.
I don't have that many vacation days.

In the future I might get a 10-year-old P100D model S which has FUSC for $40,000 to enjoy 0-60 in 2.4 sec

Reactions: ALLMYNE