Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D available and only $3000 more than 90D what should I do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
before I paid extra $10,000 to upgrade from 75D to 90D. Just 1 hour ago 100D is available, only $3000 more! But the range increased by 38 miles! That make my 75D -> 90D upgrade like an idiot!! My car is not under production yet, just have the VIN number. What should I do? Ask the sales to change it? Is the extra $500 worth it? How long will the delay be (it was said to be there by Feb 16).

The 100D is no brainer upgrade ... only $3k more than the 90D and bargain for 41 miles of additional range.:cool:

100D .png

Last edited:
Hi all,
before I paid extra $10,000 to upgrade from 75D to 90D. Just 1 hour ago 100D is available, only $3000 more! But the range increased by 38 miles! That make my 75D -> 90D upgrade like an idiot!! My car is not under production yet, just have the VIN number. What should I do? Ask the sales to change it? Is the extra $500 worth it? How long will the delay be (it was said to be there by Feb 16).
The 100D is cheap at both $3000 extra and at $3500 extra. I would ask to have it changed.

We will see what the delay might be. For Norway, the site currently lists delivery in April for the 100D and May for the 90D, so there might not be a meaningful delay.

I have 2 X 90Ds on order

My questions are:

1. Are these 90Ds actually 100D packs?

2. Can I upgrade to 100D now and not lose free Supercharging?

3. Can I upgrade to 100D later and continue to supercharge for free for life?

This is what the owner adviser responded. Man, what should I do?
"
back in the office tomorrow. I know it will delay you cars production and you may be subject to a modification fee and we would lose the ability to build the car with ventilated seats. Will share an update tomorrow.

Thanks,
Josh

Sent from my iPhone
"
The most intolerable thing to me is the delay, but I think it is also unavoidable.

I have 2 X 90Ds on order

My questions are:

Not sure for #1, but if delivery is Feb/Mar, most likely not.

Here are some details that my OA provided:
As mentioned, your order will continue as originally configured if you decide to not change to the 100D battery option. Should you decide to make no changes, you will still receive your Model X with free supercharging access and ventilated seats.

If you decide to change to the 100D battery option, you would then be subject to our new price book and would therefore not qualify for free supercharging access or ventilated seats. Your order can remain the exact same with the only change being the 100D battery.

Below is a look at the pricing structure for supercharging in Texas and surrounding states. The below fees will only apply if you decide to switch to the 100D.

** Please note that each Tesla customer will receive 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits are awarded annually.

· To clarify the price structure below, Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.

· Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.

Texas Supercharging Fee :
$0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW
$0.16 per minute above 60 kW

Louisiana Supercharging Fee :
$0.07 per minute at or below 60 kW
$0.14 per minute above 60 kW

Oklahoma Supercharging Fee :

New Mexico Supercharging Fee :

Not sure for #1, but if delivery is Feb/Mar, most likely not.

Here are some details that my OA provided:
As mentioned, your order will continue as originally configured if you decide to not change to the 100D battery option. Should you decide to make no changes, you will still receive your Model X with free supercharging access and ventilated seats.

If you decide to change to the 100D battery option, you would then be subject to our new price book and would therefore not qualify for free supercharging access or ventilated seats. Your order can remain the exact same with the only change being the 100D battery.

Below is a look at the pricing structure for supercharging in Texas and surrounding states. The below fees will only apply if you decide to switch to the 100D.

** Please note that each Tesla customer will receive 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits are awarded annually.

· To clarify the price structure below, Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.

· Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.

Texas Supercharging Fee :

Louisiana Supercharging Fee :
$0.07 per minute at or below 60 kW
$0.14 per minute above 60 kW

Oklahoma Supercharging Fee :

New Mexico Supercharging Fee :

Hi,
Where did you get this fee information?
Do you know how much is it in California?
Thanks.

This extra 35 miles is not for daily driving. It will come in extremely handy when you do a road trip on a cold windy day, when the range reduces to 250 miles or even less. This will give you the extra buffer and comfort for you to reach the next supercharger without compromising on speed or heating comfort.

heck I paid $2.5k for a DC plug in my 2012 Leaf that I never used because there was no Chaedmo chargers around at that time.

This extra 35 miles is not for daily driving. It will come in extremely handy when you do a road trip on a cold windy day, when the range reduces to 250 miles or even less. This will give you the extra buffer and comfort for you to reach the next supercharger without compromising on speed or heating comfort.

heck I paid $2.5k for a DC plug in my 2012 Leaf that I never used because there was no Chaedmo chargers around at that time.

No one does not understand that.

But since tesla does not put in a buffer, and is expanding super charger network... much more than 3k could have been seen as a rip off. That was my only point.

Hi all,

YES, it is most definitely worth it. Especially if you already upgraded to a 90D.

I did some calculations, but I don't have Model X 60D to 75D numbers; so I'm using the Model S.
Old Pricing Model S 60D to 75D: $9000 for 37 mi. ($243.24/mi)
New Pricing Model S 60D to 75D: $7000 for 37 mi. ($189,19/mi)
Model X 75D to 90D: $10,000 for 20 mi. ($500/mi + Performance Increase)
Model X 90D to 100D: $3,000 for 38 mi. ($78.95/mi)
Model X 75D to 100D: $13,000 for 58 mi. ($224.14/mi + Performance Increase)

Without getting into the software, charging at 100% discussion. The 75D to 100D is already a pretty good deal if you can afford it. Going from a 90 to 100, is a screaming deal. Even if you have to pay the $500.

Thinking about it another way. If Tesla gave you the option to downgrade back down to a 75D but keep the 90D performance, and refund you $2,000 (78.95/mi x 20 mi + $500 Change Fee) Would you do it? If yes, the upgrade may not be for you. If your answer is **** no! Then you should probably upgrade. If you needed to check your wallet, bank account, and/or credit report. I can't help you.

I have 2 X 90Ds on order
My questions are:

1. No, they're not. There's been a couple of articles about upgrading from a 90D to 100D. It involves a battery pack swap. Here's one article.
2. There's been a claim or two that it was done, but during the confirmation period and not during the change period. Nothing has been confirmed.
3. Unknown, based on Tesla's statements; you should be able to. The supercharging for life is tied to the VIN of the car. If you upgrade and do a hardware battery swap, you would retain your VIN and thus your supercharging. But refer to #1, it's $20,000; vs upgrading now would be a $3,000 additional plus $500 in change fee. The difference is $16,500 for free supercharging.

$16,500 will buy you 82,500 kwh @ $0.20/kwh. If my math is right (it often isn't) that's an estimated 275,000 miles at 300 wh/mi on the supercharging network to break even.

The only way #3 would make sense is if you need a replacement battery pack anyway. But you're looking at a failure that would be out of warranty, which would be 8 years down the road; and kind of makes this discussion a moot point as we will be talking about another battery by then.