Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D badge now in source code of online design studio...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not been overly tempted to upgrade until now. That added range is awfully tempting.

If you assume that the same ratio applies from the 100D to P100D, then you're looking at at least 343 miles range. If you take the actual EPA calculated P100D range of 323, that yields 351! Or for all us metric folks 563 km!

That's pretty durned impressive. And 40% more than what I get with my P85D!

Last edited:
Very tempting to order a 90D now in hopes of getting a software limited 100 battery if I take delivery before March 31.

I'm pretty curious about timing on this. If they announce now, but can't deliver now, the will have a whole raft of cancellations. That's not good for sales.

And why do they keep doing this? They HAVE to know that people are continuously dissecting the website coding to look for this sort of thing.

It won't come out until next year to get sales going again once free supercharging finishes.

Not sure if this applies to Model S (probably does), but Elon Musk clarified on the recent call that everyone will still have free 'long distance' supercharging for life. So basically just trying to cut down on local supercharging. The 100D should be the ultimate road tripping machine, especially with EAP/FSD.

I also would be looking for a software limited option.

I have a S85 now, and AP2 is calling my name. While I know a 75D would be enough... I feel the Need4speed. but the 75--90 price jump is considerable. I'd love a 100D option that's sold to me as a... 85D? maybe and I can go bigger later...?

A method to their madness perhaps? ;)

That occurred to me. But I'm more inclined to think that it's just a screwup. What possible benefit would come from leaking this out this way?

I also would be looking for a software limited option.

I have a S85 now, and AP2 is calling my name. While I know a 75D would be enough... I feel the Need4speed. but the 75--90 price jump is considerable. I'd love a 100D option that's sold to me as a... 85D? maybe and I can go bigger later...?

I doubt it. They've never sold the large battery cars that way.

A way to announce something without really announcing it? Gives people a heads-up without committing to a date? I mean, what's the benefit of Elon tweeting out a cryptic one-liner? Same kind of thing.

Of course. But in this case it can only have detrimental effects. A lot of his prior tweets have to do with features that are software loadable or are a long way down the line, and that aren't likely to cause people do delay/cancel.

That occurred to me. But I'm more inclined to think that it's just a screwup. What possible benefit would come from leaking this out this way?

A method to their madness perhaps? ;)

My theory: It's only (or mainly) those who take a keen interest who complain, and very loudly, when they lose out on a new feature. So Tesla is throwing a bone to those people, but they are doing so more for their own benefit since dealing with those whiners is a hassle. Tesla wants to avoid this so they purposely leaked this, just like when I said they leaked AP2.0 purposely back in May:

This makes sense after the AP 1.0 release fiasco, and the many unhappy customers, and the long Tesla bashing threads about it here. Along with this leak, and to mitigate matters further by Tesla, I think we won't see this in vehicles for a few months at least. The hardcore fans who come here will postpone, or delay ordering, of course, but that's good for Tesla because those will be the number one complainers. So this is a great plan since it won't affect the vast majority of people looking to order who will still get the vintage AP. Good thinking Tesla! Tesla runs too tight of a ship for this to be a genuine leak, and that's aside from the fact that tracking leaks is relatively easy and the penalties are too great, for someone to risk this leak with no apparent gain. That's my theory -- or guess -- anyway.

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

The same applies here. Unfortunately, I don't think we will see the 100D until after January 1, 2017 (so no free SC) and probably more like March to May 2017. They tend to send the leak out about 4 - 6 months before availability, if my theory is true, and if history is any example.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: sandpiper and EinSV
My theory: It's only (or mainly) those who take a keen interest who complain, and very loudly, when they lose out on a new feature. So Tesla is throwing a bone to those people, but they are doing so more for their own benefit since dealing with those whiners is a hassle. Tesla wants to avoid this so they purposely leaked this, just like when I said they leaked AP2.0 purposely back in May:

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

The same applies here. Unfortunately, I don't think we will see the 100D until after January 1, 2017 (so no free SC) and probably more like March to May 2017. They tend to send the leak out about 4 - 6 months before availability, if my theory is true, and if history is any example.

Interesting thought. It sounds quite plausible, but it goes against the maxim: "If it's conspiracy or cockup, bet on cockup every time."

My money is on an early January announcement, to start building orders after the supercharger deal ends.

Not sure if this applies to Model S (probably does), but Elon Musk clarified on the recent call that everyone will still have free 'long distance' supercharging for life. So basically just trying to cut down on local supercharging. The 100D should be the ultimate road tripping machine, especially with EAP/FSD.
My guess is that he was just referring to the free 400kWh.

According to @wk057 the "100D" and "P100D" emblems have been in the firmware for several months. I believe he mentioned it here in the hacking thread.

Only P100D if I recall. And in any case, that's not relevant. We all know that the 100D is coming. It's just a question of when they get enough batteries. I like Canuck's theory that this leak is a way to let the enthusiasts know that it's coming relatively soon.