Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D badge now in source code of online design studio...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would make sense for them to time the 100D announcement late enough not to impact Q4 sales - but early enough to drive sales for Q1.

Even if they don't have enough battery packs to build 100Ds right now, they'll likely have enough volume to build them sometime in Q1.

If they push out the 100D announcement, they may risk depressing Q1 sales. While the phase out of unlimited free long distance charging might encourage some customers to order before the end of the year and get delivery in Q1 - I suspect there's a larger number of potential customers sitting on the sidelines waiting for the larger battery pack.

Interesting thought. It sounds quite plausible, but it goes against the maxim: "If it's conspiracy or cockup, bet on cockup every time."

Wow, now there's an interesting twist to Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia I've never heard before. It's usually more along the lines of: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

• Funny
Reactions: sandpiper
Would make sense for them to time the 100D announcement late enough not to impact Q4 sales - but early enough to drive sales for Q1.

Even if they don't have enough battery packs to build 100Ds right now, they'll likely have enough volume to build them sometime in Q1.

If they push out the 100D announcement, they may risk depressing Q1 sales. While the phase out of unlimited free long distance charging might encourage some customers to order before the end of the year and get delivery in Q1 - I suspect there's a larger number of potential customers sitting on the sidelines waiting for the larger battery pack.

That's the issue isn't it? That's why (as with AP1 and AP2.0) they've often announced a new toy only after it was already shipping - allowing owners of the new hardware to pay for the upgrade, or leave it software disabled.

The 100D introduction is different than the other major feature announcements (like AP 1.0 or 2.0), because Tesla has already introduced the 100 battery pack for P100DL and Musk indicated other models would be available when production volume of the 100 battery packs increased.

We know the hardware is being built - all we're waiting for is Tesla to start putting the 100 battery packs into the non-performance D configuration - so it makes sense there are potential owners out there waiting for Tesla to make that configuration available. Anyone who is satisfied with a 90D will buy one now and anyone willing to pay more to get the longer range of a 100D is already on the sidelines waiting - so the timing of the announcement likely won't impact 90D sales (because the 90D will likely be lower price than the 100D).

But what will the price be?
The P100D cost $10k more then the P90D so i belive it will cost $10k more then the 90D but on the other hand I think that it's way to much for tesla to take $1k/kWh when they have said that the cost for batterypack is under $190/kWh. I know that they want to make as much profit as possible and some will probably buy it ether way. On the other hand, the price drop of batteries have been some of the reason that they now can outfit all cars with autonomous hardware without higher the price.

The P100D cost $10k more then the P90D so i belive it will cost $10k more then the 90D but on the other hand I think that it's way to much for tesla to take $1k/kWh when they have said that the cost for batterypack is under $190/kWh. I know that they want to make as much profit as possible and some will probably buy it ether way. On the other hand, the price drop of batteries have been some of the reason that they now can outfit all cars with autonomous hardware without higher the price.

I'm hoping you're right. A 100D would resolve most of my current range headaches. But with the low C$ it's a bit tough to rationalize some of the current pricing.

The extra 10k$ paid on the performance version does not just get you 10kWh extra range, but also the fastest accelerating car in production, where the market is sure to accept even a hefty markup.

So the 10k$ difference does not have to apply to the non-performance versions.

The extra 10k$ paid on the performance version does not just get you 10kWh extra range, but also the fastest accelerating car in production, where the market is sure to accept even a hefty markup.

So the 10k$ difference does not have to apply to the non-performance versions.
There is a different in performance between 75D and 90D to so it could be that 100D have better performance then 90D but we have to wait and see how Tesla do with the pricing.

Hopefully we'll known soon the price, performance and range of the 100D - and be able to order them.

My guess is that they will announce it soon (after its too late to impact Q4 sales) - for delivery in Q1 - to help push Q1 sales.