Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100d first trip from Bay Area to L.A. (Anaheim)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that was a nice surprise. I charged to 100% at home, and made it to Disneyland with one 30m stop at the Bakersfield supercharger (we ate at the IHOP there, and then continued on). I arrived at Disneyland with 27% left. That was surprisingly easy, and a really enjoyable trip. We did have a nice little tailwind, and if that wind continues, the trip home won't be as generous, but it will be interesting to see if it is still a 1-stopper. I had my TACC set to 85mph the whole way (and during one spirited jolt I did hit 115). This car is a blast! We hit 2 stretches of construction on I-5 where we averaged about 5mph for 30 minutes... each time! I let autosteer do the work during those stints.

Tomorrow AM I get the REUS upgrade, spend a day with my son down here, and then we drive back -- but this time hopefully listening to an amazing sound system!

Finally... AP2 did great in the slow stuff, but it is clearly not ready for prime time if there is any complexity. I tried to see if it could navigate a freeway exit at about 15mph (sharp circular onramp), and it could not (would've driven off the road). However, it did excellent in long stretches of traffic, straight road, under 55.

Expect strong headwinds on return home so might require extra charging stop. I would have the trip energy graph displayed on the lower half of the center screen, be prepared to lower speeds or hypermill.