Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D hesitating on full throttle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 6 month old 100D is hesitating on accelerator stomps, whether launching from zero or from slow speeds. It's like the max power is being retarded, and it takes about 6 seconds to get to 60. But if I do part throttle, or slowly press the accelerator down, it takes off like a rocket as usual. I noticed this maybe a month ago, but can't quite pin it to a specific release. Car is in sport mode, range mode off, and this happens with SOC down at 30% or up at 80%. Temps in the 40's or 50's, with no yellow bars on my energy gauge.

Any thoughts? Do non-P models just have built-in power retarders that I didn't notice before? Or maybe traction control is kicking in? I'm running stock Goodyear 19" rubber, which isn't that sticky. Do I just need to avoid quick accelerator movements? Kind of sucks because it happened twice when I was trying to demo the instant torque to someone who had never been in an EV before. They just weren't impressed.

The TC in these is like voodoo so subtle and smooth.
40degree roads will give up some traction how bad would depend on tires you have.

I woke up to -18f actual temp even once the battery is warm power application will be limited by cold tires/road and I just have a slow old P85

Having similar issue with my P90D. Ranger has ridden with me twice and interrogated the logs but unable to figure it out. No rhyme or reason as to when it happens. Random times. Random conditions. Sport mode. Insane mode. I'm in Florida so can't blame temp or icy roads. Tesla hasn't been helpful in figuring it out so far.

Good thought on the Obstacle Aware Acceleration. I will disengage and report back.

So I tried it with obstacle-aware acceleration off, and it seemed to be better. Can't say for sure as I didn't do back-to-back tests or use a stopwatch - maybe I can try this weekend. Though I did hear a clunking sound from the suspension or motor on hard acceleration - not good either.

Reactions: tfinan
So I tried it with obstacle-aware acceleration off, and it seemed to be better. Can't say for sure as I didn't do back-to-back tests or use a stopwatch - maybe I can try this weekend. Though I did hear a clunking sound from the suspension or motor on hard acceleration - not good either.
I tried it too. Definitely better. I have to be extra careful pulling into 7-11 so as not to drive through the front door but am enjoying having full acceleration again.

• Funny
Reactions: tfinan
Tried it again now that I'm on 50.7. No stopwatch yet, but tried it back to back with and without OAA, and without it definitely has a harder kick when mashing the accelerator. Plus power delivery up to 60 mph is smoother; with OAA on it's kind of jerky like the power delivery isn't constant. This was in the cold too - temps around 37 and car sitting outside in it all day. but with OAA off, no sign of hesitation or sense that the traction control was kicking on.

Even my old RWD 85 (non P) hesitates sometimes and it always comes back to traction control. Unless you have excellent grip the slightest slippage of the wheels will have TC kick in. It doesn't always start blinking. I tried turning TC off a few times when I noticed the slight hesitation and almost always did it eliminate the hesitations. Sometimes it gets me in trouble, though LOL