TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

100d is coming soon

Discussion in 'Model S' started by xborg, Oct 24, 2016.

1. xborg

xborg Member

#1 xborg, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Hi all,

I've just found some info. 100d is coming soon, probably before end of the year. I know it is not surprising, but I've just wanted to give you a heads up in order to prevent more angry customers who say "I should have wait".
    If you are thinking about getting a 90D, think twice. Probably there will be some good 90D inventory discounts towards the end of the year.
    100D range will be about %20 more than 90D.

Also some other rumors I've heard:
    -New Ventilated seats for all cars.
    -Upgraded-faster main console units
    -Improved the hands off detection
    2 more, but not in near future:
    -New suspension option(with 8 years warranty). Active pothole detection maybe?
    -Auto-presenting doors for Model S.

Thanks.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  2. eyespii

eyespii Member

Great news? What's your source? And what does "upgraded main console unit" mean?

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Where are you getting that range will be 20% greater for only 10% more battery capacity?

4. xborg

xborg Member

Faster MCU, with less lags and better browser. Not sure about Airplay.

5. xborg

xborg Member

90D or 100D is just a badge. It is like Mercedes C500 vs C63. It doesn't represent the exact usable battery capacity.
    P100D already has %20 more range than P90D.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. Konassc

Konassc New Member

I wonder if a faster MCU might already be in place.. My new S 90D (mfg around 9/1) shows no lag in the MCU and is a noticeable improvement from my older S

• Like x 1
  7. geoffreak

geoffreak Model 3 Reservation Holder

I think in Bjorn's latest video he mentions that 90D has 75kWh usable battery. An increase to 100D with 90kWh usable would mark an increase of 20%.

• Like x 1
  8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

No it has an estimate that is ~16% greater, but there are no official numbers for it yet. (270 vs. 315.)

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

NOOOOOO!!! DAMN IT - I WANT MY MONEY BACK... OMG. This is criminal - so much improvement - Tesla you suck - the worst damn company in the world -- auuuuuugggggghhhh.(Charlie Brown voice).. I'm going to write a letter to Elon the God of car perfection and complain that I didn't get 10 more stinking kilowatts. This is horrible - OMG..... I don't have the best car anyone more -- sobbing, sucking thumb, going fetal, dark depression, drinking whole bottle of Blanton's in a sippy cup, suck thumb again, cry some more, slip into a dark intoxicated sleep, with a sweaty butt, dreaming of the neighbor I hate driving by in a P10,000D you know the new one that comes out in four years - that is a hovercraft and sounds like an X wing fighter and is so fast the USAF replaces the F-22 Raptor with it - crying in my dream - mommy!!!!!!

Wake up the next day and realize I'll just give the 90D to my wife and get the new one... Happy face. Best part is I don't have to shame myself in front of a global audience. Fake rant over... where did I put the Blanton's... time to celebrate! The 100D will be an awesome car and the rumors about it will be even better. Elon keep it up big guy - Here's a drink to you man - I think you deserve a sip of Angel's Envy - the official drink of Model S owners everywhere - man I wish it were Friday already.

• Funny x 17
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  10. Ohji

Ohji Member

The new suspension option is interesting. Where in the heck did you hear about that?

Assuming there is a new suspension option, one could imagine that with all of the cameras the model S now has and the processing power it has with Drive PX2, Tesla could employ a system that eliminates lean-in in curves (similar to Mercedes' Magic Body Control) or that scans the road ahead and prepares the suspension for bumps, road imperfections, etc (also akin to the MBC and/or the pothole detection referenced by the OP). That would be a nice upgrade!

Out of all of the options mentioned, the one I hope for the most is the upgraded MCU. I feel that would be the one upgrade that would actually positively affect my use of the car most.

11. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I hope not. Then all the people who took delivery on 8/31 will be burning Elon in efffigy in front of the factory.

12. xborg

xborg Member

I wouldn't like to share my source. Hence this changes are not %100 verified.
    As you know Tesla may change direction anytime. Last year, they were building test cars with double mobileye cameras, look what happened this year :)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. msnow

msnow Active Member

What's your source or is this speculation?

14. Troy

Troy Member

The 315 mi estimated EPA rated range should be expected to be approved. EPA doesn't do any range tests. Car manufacturers do the test themselves based on the test criteria released by the EPA. EPA just approves the paperwork.

Based on the data we know, Model S 100D EPA rated range should be 294*315/270= 343 miles.

294 = S90D range
    315 = P100D range
    270 = P90D range

• Like x 1
  15. xborg

xborg Member

Check the approved EU ratings on Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla UK
    P90D = 316 Miles NEDC
    90D = 346 Miles NEDC
    P100D = 381 Miles NEDC
    I estimate that 100D will be 415 Miles NEDC.

• Like x 1
  16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Awesome. Now if only Tesla would sell a tow package for the S. With a 100kWh battery and Dual Motors that could provide a useful towing range.

• Like x 1
  17. Alketi

Alketi Member

The upgraded MCU is so overdue. Tegra 3 is an absolutely ancient processor.

I was hoping they'd upgrade it along with the AP2.0 changes, but Elon dropped the hint that they'd move to a newer version of Linux in December -- so that would coincide with the timeframe you mentioned.

• Like x 3
  18. Troy

Troy Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    @xborg, you are right. That's another data point to consider. I will use the European NEDC range numbers in kilometers on Tesla order page here to be more precise. It shows these numbers:

P90D = 509 km NEDC rated range
    P100D = 613 km NEDC rated range

The increase is 613/509-1= 20.4%. If we apply that to the 294 mi EPA of 90D, S100D EPA would be 354 miles. To summarize, S100D EPA-rated range should be expected to be between 343 and 354 miles. 343 is based on 16.7% increase from P90D to P100D EPA and 354 is based on 20.4% increase from P90D to P100D NEDC rated range.

• Like x 2
  19. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Ahhh, I see what you did there. If some of these do not come true, the more particular ones in particular, since the others are "duh", then you say Tesla changed directions rather than your "source" was wrong. Good one.

• Funny x 1
  20. xborg

xborg Member

If Tesla is working on something, It doesn't mean that it is going to be released for sure.
    My source may be wrong, or they may prototype and then, stop working on a particular change.