Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall several folks predicted this. Have they got the 100D production all smoothed out or is a sales boost needed or both?

It's probably the same battery pack as the P100D (which has been selling since Sept/Oct last year)
If so then 100kWh packs have had at least 3-4 months of actual production.
Coinciding with the changes to limited SC, this is probably timed to put Tesla in the news again.

Reactions: bhzmark
Also, bundling came with a subtle price increase - plus no more free dark ash wood decor with anything but textile seats (white combo was cheaper when priced separately).

And still @diesel pressed disagree with my comment that this is a terrible move from customer-perspective.

I challenge anyone to find a good for customer point of view in this change... less trims... tons less combos... more price...

• Disagree
Reactions: krouebi and diesel
Looking at the Model X only, and forgive me if my math goes astray somewhere... It's late and I'm tired, but the price range gap from the MX 75D to 90D is an additional 20 miles for $10,000 or $500 per additional mile. The range breakdown from 90D to 100D is 38 additional miles for $3000 or $79 per additional mile. Now that is a bargain! Still, the jump from 75D to 100D is $13,000... That is a big chunk of change for 58 miles and enough money to purchase HALF of a Model 3... after governmental rebates of course... The 75D still strikes me as a bargain.

Reactions: bhzmark
1. I seriously doubt it. There is no indication of that at this stage. Historically, maybe at some later date during the transition there might be short period of shipping 90D orders as software-limited 100D but that is not guaranteed and, anyway, is not likely to happen right now when Tesla still likely has 90 kWh battery stock left to sell (which is why 90D remains alongside 100D on the Design Studio).

2. According to @Yggdrasill upthread, 100D upgrades to orders would lose free unlimited Supercharging.

3. Good question. Assuming 100 kWh battery upgrade is/becomes available to the 90D, it could very well be an avenue to keep the unlimited Supercharging.

The reason why I think 1 is a possibility, is that first of all, you choose 90D and then 100D. They also have the same 0-60 and Top speed (though 155 is prob just an electronic limiter).

2. Is this confirmed for US orders also? Would love to have a blog post on the issue.

3. If they are soft-locked 100s, then this would be a viable question.

Basically I'd be happy to spend the 3/3.5K to upgrade both my X90Ds to X100Ds, but only if that doesn't affect the free supercharging. Otherwise I'm sticking with what I ordered.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Does the factory have 2 to 3 months supply of 90d battery packs? Since the cost to go from 90 to 100 is only 3k, one would assume that no one is going to order a 90 going forward which would suggest that those of us with pre-15th orders with March or early April deliveries for unlimited supercharging would be built from a stock pile of old 90 battery packs.

The reason why I think 1 is a possibility, is that first of all, you choose 90D and then 100D. They also have the same 0-60 and Top speed (though 155 is prob just an electronic limiter).

2. Is this confirmed for US orders also? Would love to have a blog post on the issue.

Basically I'd be happy to spend the 3/3.5K to upgrade both my X90Ds to X100Ds, but only if that doesn't affect the free supercharging. Otherwise I'm sticking with what I ordered.

1. Yes, you can choose 90D or 100D, but historically Tesla has kept the outgoing model available alongside the new model until it sells out. It also helps a bit in making sure not so many people cancel their existing 90D orders since they are not simply bumping 90D to 100 kWh hardware but instead keep selling it separately... if a 100 kWh soft-lock 90 kWh battery appears at some point, I would expect that to happen later when 90D is no longer available for order and Tesla is merely fulfilling existing 90D orders and runs out of 90 kWh packs before that... Anything if of course possible, so we do not know, but this is my feel based on the past years' precedent.

2. No, I don't think we can call it confirmed anywhere. But that is what we hear from Norway and it makes sense if Tesla wants to protect their existing 90D order and inventory car base from cancellations and being left with a bunch of 90 kWh packs... But sure, it is not confirmed.

3. I think this could be a viable question even without soft-lock, though of course battery pack change price is on a different level in that case...

Last edited:
Does the factory have 2 to 3 months supply of 90d battery packs? Since the cost to go from 90 to 100 is only 3k, one would assume that no one is going to order a 90 going forward which would suggest that those of us with pre-15th orders with March or early April deliveries for unlimited supercharging would be built from a stock pile of old 90 battery packs.

They may well have that many. They might even have more that they are building as unlimited supercharging inventory cars for an end-of-quarter blowout. :)

But sure, it is possible that if Tesla runs out of 90 kWh packs before fulfilling all those orders (and they can't get people to upgrade), a software limited 100 kWh pack in a 90D might be possible at some stage. But I do not think it is the situation now...

When Tesla presented P100D they said that they who already had got there P90D delivered could upgrade to P100D for $20k and if they haven't get it delivered yet they could get it for $10k so if they don't have software limited 100 kWh battery in your car don't expect it to be cheap.

Attachments

• 100d.PNG
    100d.PNG
    113.3 KB · Views: 62
if Tesla wants to protect their existing 90D order and stock car base from cancellations and being left with a bunch of 90 kWh packs

Consider my situation though, I have 2 X 90Ds ordered, VINs assigned but not in manufacturing yet. Wouldn't it be better for Tesla to take $3k more than my current order, and give me a 100D than sell a 90D.

These cars will eventually be absorbed into my fleet, so free supercharging is a must. However, it'd be great if I could get them as 100Ds with Free supercharging. That'd be amazing

When Tesla presented P100D they said that they who already had got there P90D delivered could upgrade to P100D for $20k and if they haven't get it delivered yet they could get it for $10k so if they don't have software limited 100 kWh battery in your car don't expect it to be cheap.

Yea, but my cars only have VINs, they haven't started production on them yet (slated for delivery here in Southern California in March).

Consider my situation though, I have 2 X 90Ds ordered, VINs assigned but not in manufacturing yet. Wouldn't it be better for Tesla to take $3k more than my current order, and give me a 100D than sell a 90D.

These cars will eventually be absorbed into my fleet, so free supercharging is a must. However, it'd be great if I could get them as 100Ds with Free supercharging. That'd be amazing

I get that it is certainly different for Tesla to change an order that is not yet in production than, say, re-order a car for a customer for whom it has already been built. Your's is a fair question and the idea does not sound impossible at all.

On the other hand, they may also be interested in moving those 90 kWh packs they may have. Keeping unlimited Supercharging exclusive to those might help move that stock.

Finally, making a clear separation between 100D and unlimited Supercharging, it may help with some customers taking 90D delivery now who might feel disgruntled by missing the order window. Now they have something special the 100D folk don't have...

Or Tesla is thinking the 100D is a demand lever in itself: people who want it, will take it anyway and Tesla gets to deduct that unlimited Supercharging cost from their balance sheets.

Just speculation. All we know is the word from Norway, but that is hardly confirmed yet.

And still @diesel pressed disagree with my comment that this is a terrible move from customer-perspective.

I challenge anyone to find a good for customer point of view in this change... less trims... tons less combos... more price...

Watch a few episodes of Gordon Ramsay's Hotel Hell...A common theme is the owner of the hotel making menus as long as their leg and the poor chef having to try and make them all in parallel. The outcome is s***t food that tastes bad and is served late. Gordon comes in, reduces the menu down to a few simple dishes, the throughput of the kitchen increases and the customers love the food.

Tesla are essentially applying the same principle here. Do a few things well, do them fast and to the highest quality.

Would you prefer a more expensive car, with quality issues that arrives 6 months late but the exact exotic pearl ivory speccled whatever color paint or would you prefer a limited selection, great quality and a car that arrives on time at a lower price?

Unless you drive thousands of miles each year cross country I don't see that the unlimited supercharger should make that big of a difference to anyone, besides if you do go over the 400kw i don't think the extra few dollars should hurt your pocket considering the price of a Tesla.

It can be a big psychological difference, though, for a much larger audience during the transition period. Free unlimited for life of car simply sounds wonderful, no matter how little one uses it in the end.

I agree it probably makes little difference saleswise 6 months from now. But for someone on the edge right now, it is a clear differentiator before and after the cut-off. Judging by the online comments, I think it plays into the purchase decision of many.

Watch a few episodes of Gordon Ramsay's Hotel Hell...A common theme is the owner of the hotel making menus as long as their leg and the poor chef having to try and make them all in parallel. The outcome is s***t food that tastes bad and is served late. Gordon comes in, reduces the menu down to a few simple dishes, the throughput of the kitchen increases and the customers let be the food.

Tesla are essentially applying the same principle here. Do a few things well, do them fast and to the highest quality.

Would you prefer a more expensive car, with quality issues that arrives 6 months late but the exact exotic pearl ivory speccled whatever color paint or would you prefer a limited selection, great quality and a car that arrives on time at a lower price?

Well, we all agree - especially the Model X forum - comparing Tesla's build quality to Gordon Ramsay's Hotel Hell is fitting. :D I don't see how this helps in that though, as the quality issues have very little to do with interior colors etc.

However, I just do not think this simplication really has anything to do with that. Tesla had no quality issues with its different wooden trims that are now gone. And especially no quality issues with combining different interior options together that still remain (the products are the same, you just can't combine them freely).

My guess: The main reason here is not build simplicity, it is interior matching for inventory cars - with a bit of added logistical cost savings.

As for reducing the menu, I agree that is common in high-end restaurants. On high-end vehicles, though, very personal customization is absolutely the norm. The level at which the Germans do it is exquisite, the standard selections are far larger than Teslas was before the change (let alone now!), and infinitely more when you include their exclusive options.

The latest Tesla move makes their interior options look more like a Toyota in comparison. It is quite unlike the price-level in which they compete for custom orders.

Well, we all agree - especially the Model X forum - comparing Tesla's build quality to Gordon Ramsay's Hotel Hell is fitting. :D I don't see how this helps in that though, as the quality issues have very little to do with interior colors etc.

However, I just do not think this simplication really has anything to do with that. Tesla had no quality issues with its different wooden trims that are now gone. And especially no quality issues with combining different interior options together that still remain (the products are the same, you just can't combine them freely).

My guess: The main reason here is not build simplicity, it is interior matching for inventory cars - with a bit of added logistical cost savings.

As for reducing the menu, I agree that is common in high-end restaurants. On high-end vehicles, though, very personal customization is absolutely the norm. The level at which the Germans do it is exquisite, the standard selections are far larger than Teslas was before the change (let alone now!), and infinitely more when you include their exclusive options.

The latest Tesla move makes their interior options look more like a Toyota in comparison. It is quite unlike the price-level in which they compete for custom orders.
I agree.
Matching the headliner color with the seats may be reasonable, but trim is a personal taste. But forcing wood decor with black leather seats are non sense.

Reactions: krouebi