Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree.
Matching the headliner color with the seats may be reasonable, but trim is a personal taste. But forcing wood decor with black leather seats are non sense.

I just specced a Toyota for fun and it was quite a similar experience in how interior color and materials etc. were bundled.

This is pretty much unheard of in the premium automotive landscape, though.

Go spec your average Audi A6 (the more closely to Tesla priced A8 has even more) and they have like 12 different textiles and 12 different decors and four different roof materials to pretty freely choose from. That's like 500+ combos. And that's before including asking them to custom build you something else, which they have dedicated divisions/services doing too...

Tesla now has 4 textiles and 3 decors tightly bundled into only 9 different combos. That is Toyota territory, not Premium car.

(Audi A6 also has something like 25 exterior colors compared to Tesla's recently limited 7. Plus of course you can order any color you want too at an extra cost and have many more other exterior styling options.)

Last edited:
Basically I'd be happy to spend the 3/3.5K to upgrade both my X90Ds to X100Ds, but only if that doesn't affect the free supercharging. Otherwise I'm sticking with what I ordered.

I would upgrade, $3k = 15 000kWh when supercharging at 20ct/kWh. Nearly 50k miles. That seems a lot to supercharge on top of the over 1000 miles per year supercharging you get anyway.

Reactions: ABC2D
Unless you drive thousands of miles each year cross country I don't see that the unlimited supercharger should make that big of a difference to anyone, besides if you do go over the 400kw i don't think the extra few dollars should hurt your pocket considering the price of a Tesla.
Ah, but you're being logical. FREE is psychological more than financial, for almost everyone.

The LCT is a dis-incentive! (not to mention the other 3 taxes on taxes). What a joke, only OECD country not to have incentives for Evs

There is this, in every litre of petrol or diesel sold in Australia there is a 38 cent fuel levy. If you are filling up with electrons you are not paying that tax.

Also the LCT is halved for low and zero emission vehicles.

So they may not be direct cash handouts, but trust me you are getting tax benefits that ICE vehicles are not.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
And still @diesel pressed disagree with my comment that this is a terrible move from customer-perspective.

I challenge anyone to find a good for customer point of view in this change... less trims... tons less combos... more price...

Here are few:
- makes decision easier for the indecisive
- combinations that people regret are avoided
- if bundles are based on popularity, buying such combination increases resale value

Reactions: GSP
Awesome news - only $3k more than the 90D. That is a bargain for 40 miles of range.

I have a 90D on order, base price was $89.5K when I confirmed on 1.6.17. . . However, in design studio base 90D has been bumped to $92.8K. . . I've done a quick review of the standard build and it appears to just be a price bump without any additional features or benefits. So 100D is "only" $3K more than 90D only as of this morning. It's ~$6K more than 90D was yesterday. LOL

And still @diesel pressed disagree with my comment that this is a terrible move from customer-perspective.

I challenge anyone to find a good for customer point of view in this change... less trims... tons less combos... more price...
Here are few:
- makes decision easier for the indecisive
- combinations that people regret are avoided
- if bundles are based on popularity, buying such combination increases resale value

That sounds a bit too nanny state for me, but okay, points for creativity. :)

Reactions: RogerHScott and GSP
I suspect Tesla extended the unlimited supercharging deal to 15 Jan to consume their stock of 90kWh packs. I don't think those of us with an order in now will be able to upgrade without losing unlimited SC. I'm sending a note to ask if I can upgrade and keep my SC as I'm not yet in production. I'm prepared to hear "no".

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
That sounds a bit too nanny state for me, but okay, points for creativity. :)

well, they wiped out my interior spec. . .tan, figured ash, black headliner (is going to look awesome on my obsidian black car). So, while I may not have interior design skills, it's a safe bet that someone will be disappointed that the tan only comes with the light headliner. I saw this combo in the local Showroom and it was awful. I would go to black seats before doing tan and light headliner.

Sorry Ranger, responded to wrong post, but you get the drift.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I just specced a Toyota for fun and it was quite a similar experience in how interior color and materials etc. were bundled.

This is pretty much unheard of in the premium automotive landscape, though.

Go spec your average Audi A6 (the more closely to Tesla priced A8 has even more) and they have like 12 different textiles and 12 different decors and four different roof materials to pretty freely choose from.

Enjoy steering your Audi for hours and hours while you admire your custom interior. I'll take fewer color choices and the world's best lane keeping in my "premium" car. I have a Bentley GT. Guess how often it gets driven since my 70D showed up? That's right - almost never. When I get around to it the dear thing is going up for sale. Despite all that yummy smelling leather and primo interior the *real* luxury is silent drive and my Tesla doing the steering while I relax through long So Cal drives. Awwww baby didn't get to spec the right wood with his favorite headliner. Someone call the wambulence.

I don't see how this helps in that though, as the quality issues have very little to do with interior colors etc.

I guess that is why you are not a production engineer.

No automotive company has quality problems relating to interior colors.

But the highest quality brands limit choices and bundle.

The less you worry about trim logistics the more attention you can pay to where the actual defects are happening.

According to Consumer Reports the Mercedes S Class is usually the least reliable car sold in America.

I suspect Tesla extended the unlimited supercharging deal to 15 Jan to consume their stock of 90kWh packs. I don't think those of us with an order in now will be able to upgrade without losing unlimited SC. I'm sending a note to ask if I can upgrade and keep my SC as I'm not yet in production. I'm prepared to hear "no".

Please repost when you hear. . .letting you do my dirty work for me. Same boat. . .post confirmation / preproduction on a 90D. Interestingly my chosen interior spec combo is gone too. . .wonder if they did upgrade us if I would even be able to get that combo (tan.figured ash.black headliner)

I have a 90D on order, base price was $89.5K when I confirmed on 1.6.17. . . However, in design studio base 90D has been bumped to $92.8K. . . I've done a quick review of the standard build and it appears to just be a price bump without any additional features or benefits. So 100D is "only" $3K more than 90D only as of this morning. It's ~$6K more than 90D was yesterday. LOL
Because the pre selected seat is the premium white leather now
if you select the multi patern textile seat you will get 89500 and 92500 for the 100D

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado and GSP
I guess that is why you are not a production engineer.

No automotive company has quality problems relating to interior colors.

But the highest quality brands limit choices and bundle.

The less you worry about trim logistics the more attention you can pay to where the actual defects are happening.

According to Consumer Reports the Mercedes S Class is usually the least reliable car sold in America.

This is ridiculous, I'm sorry. It would be one thing to defend Tesla on this due to their smaller size and still a bit of startup/growup nature, I could buy that. I can excuse this due to their size and stage, sure, I'll give them a pass.

But to sort of celebrate Tesla's limiting of interior options at premium range to a Toyota level as some sort of quality win is just preposterous. The premium competition offers hundreds of interior design combinations, some of them perhaps thousands. Tesla offers 9.

Maybe Tesla needs to hire some production engineers.

p.s. I understand it is a bit different overall in the U.S. where most cars are sold from the lot. In the premium/luxury segment in Europe, we are used to order custom cars with massive options lists. But Tesla sells a custom order car...

That's not nice done by tesla.