TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

100D Model X now or wait 2 + years for Tesla Truck?

Discussion in 'Pickup Truck' started by jimbo69ny, Aug 14, 2019.

1. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

Hey guys,

I have a deposit on a 100D MX right now. Delivery should happen in 2-3 weeks. With the new raven models, better efficiency and amazing price drops I was tempted and jumped. $88k for a white, base wheels, black interior and no FSD. Ordering process was sooo easy. Everything is standard now! Only choices are color, wheels, interior, seats and FSD.

I was going to hold out for a Tesla Truck. I really would love to get back into a truck but I just cant wait 2 years. Ive been driving my reliable 2014 Toyota Rav4 EV since I bought it new. Its the longest Ive ever owned a vehicle. Nothing existed that I wanted more (that could afford). But I just sold it and need a new car. My family needs a lot of space so we cant go smaller.

Im in a good situation financially so I decided to splurge and go for the X. Its a big leap for me. $1000 a month is more than double I have ever spent on a car. I'm definitely not rich so this is a big deal.

The hints that Elon has dropped suggest that the Truck could be cheaper. Do I buy a used Rav4 EV for cheap, drive it for 2 years then buy a Truck or love the X I just bought?

2. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

Rav4 EVs are a pretty hot commodity so I am confident that I could flip another one. Im leaning towards the X though.

3. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Hard to say since you need to get a car anyway. Have you looked into the used Xs? Maybe it's 2 years, maybe it's longer.
    I'm keeping my 2002 truck going until the pickup is ready. At least that's the plan.

If I may ask, why did you sell the 2014 RavEV if you are still considering replacing it with the same model?

4. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

Because I received a great price on it and I know I could replace it if I needed to.

I have looked for used X's. Ive been looking every day.

5. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

This may not be helpful, but I got a Raven X in June. It's awesome.

• Like x 1
  6. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

The only mistake you can make in getting a Tesla is putting it off. Just get one now and figure out the truck when it's actually available. You won't regret it.

• Like x 3
  7. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Member

you can sell the x just as easily as the rav.... get the x!

• Like x 2
  8. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

But 2 year depreciation could be painful.

9. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Member

So could not driving a tesla for two years.... Tesla’s are much less likely to get into accidents, and when they do crash, they are safer.

10. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

Of course we never know what the future holds but the used 2016-2017 that I am seeing are being advertised at only a $15,000 discount. And those are for cars that do not have the full self driving option and many of them don’t have all the features that are now standard. I think the 2019+ will be the most coveted version. And with the current promotion I get free unlimited supercharging which I am super excited about!

• Like x 1
  11. Krash

Krash Data Technician

If you go used, get a late 2016 AP2 w transferable free unlimited supercharging from a private seller.

My S was my first new car. I just couldn't find a similar used one that depreciated enough.

12. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

The wait would kill me, get the X now and then the Truck after a few price drops..

• Like x 2
  13. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

In 2-years, if Full Self Driving is working, the Model X that you buy today could potentially be worth more than you paid for it. I emphasize "potentially".

• Funny x 3
  14. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

Holding out for an ideal Tesla that is 2-3 years out is miserable when you can still be driving one in the meantime.

If I were planning on swapping to the truck in a few years I'd get into a used X instead of going whole hog on a new Raven.

15. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

I ordered a MX 100D. Should be here in 2 weeks. Its a HUGE payment for me. Most expensive car Ive ever owned. Its a stretch. But I think I can do it and if I cant Ill trade it in on a truck in a couple years because they are supposedly going to be cheaper.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Congratulations! Enjoy! Let us know how you like it.

17. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I’m confident that you will love it and feel like it’s worth every penny.

18. ZoomsansVroom

ZoomsansVroom Supporting Member

Get the X. Keep it until you're ready to replace it, then the pick up will have been out for awhile, and had the kinks worked out.