Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D motor LOUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I'm looking to potentially buy a 100D loaner from Tesla. I'm driving it right now but the first thing I noticed was how loud the motor (I'm assuming the front based on feel/direction)... I had a P100D loaner not too long ago and was surprised with how quiet it was conoarec to my 2013 P85 RWD, but this 100D is actually LOUDER than that... What is considered normal? I'm happy to upload a recording if anyone wants to give me their opinions... Want to make sure I'm not buying a car with issues

Thx!

You really shouldn’t be able to hear much noise from the motor. If it is louder than a 2013 model I would say there is a problem.

Good news is that the vehicle would be under warranty I suppose. It would be nice if Tesla inspected/fixed vehicles from the used fleet before selling them.

You really shouldn’t be able to hear much noise from the motor. If it is louder than a 2013 model I would say there is a problem.

Thanks for the response. This was what I figured. Good news is that the vehicle would be under warranty I suppose. It would be nice if Tesla inspected/fixed vehicles from the used fleet before selling them.
Indeed it would. They fixed the wheel rash proactively (which wasn't done when I purchased my 2013 P85 as a service loaner so that's a plus) but the center screen also has a yellow tint all around its edges... I'm reading that might be glue related or something so they'll need to fix that too..

If you don't mind me asking, why before purchase? Is there a danger of waiting until I hit 12,500 miles and my first service?

some questions I would be asking myself:

If you are hearing it now, isn't that something that will bother you everytime you drive the car? Can you wait 12,500 miles?

Is that an agreement you have with the service centre? That they will replace it at the first service? Got it in writing?

If not, then how long until it gets bad enough for them to agree to replace it? What if it never gets worse, they don't agree it is a problem, and you hear the same noise no better or worse until it is off warranty?

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Thanks for all the responses guys... I've been waiting for them to send me a contract to sign since, well depending on how you count Saturday (when I flew into Dallas and they didn't have any of that ready) or Monday (when they said they would expedite and get one over to me)

I suppose you're right- car has a couple things that must be fixed before I will buy:
1) Front motor Houston, we have a problem... it's definitely got issues. Fix.
2) I have the yellow border around the center screen. Really on a 257xxx build? Fix.
3) squeaks and rattles - These aren't as urgent but the biggest one is the tapping coming from the microphone area by the rear-view mirror that drives me insane :eek::eek:

I sent them an email a moment ago requesting that. Thought was by sending today it will be in their mailboxes Monday morning which is a full 7 days since their emails last Monday stating they would be in touch... I really want Tesla to succeed, but it is unlikely they will be able to without massive improvements in their customer facing processes and procedures :(

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Hey guys,
I'm looking to potentially buy a 100D loaner from Tesla. I'm driving it right now but the first thing I noticed was how loud the motor (I'm assuming the front based on feel/direction)... I had a P100D loaner not too long ago and was surprised with how quiet it was conoarec to my 2013 P85 RWD, but this 100D is actually LOUDER than that... What is considered normal? I'm happy to upload a recording if anyone wants to give me their opinions... Want to make sure I'm not buying a car with issues

Thx!

I purchased a 100d loaner built nov 2017 that had 2660 miles on it, rear motor does seem loud compared to other loaners ive had while mine was in for service. All my noise originates from the rear motor especially cruising at 48-52 mph , sounds like bearing whine from poor preload possibly.

I am in a nosecone p85d loaner right now and it is completely silent , probally the the best of all. Go figure.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Rear motors should be perfectly silent in all model S by now.

The front motor (if you have one) has a little electric whirring sound and it's the only motor you'd hear in the car, and is normal to hear it.

Unless you're perfectly fine with a used vehicle in the condition you drive it away with, don't take it.

Rear motors should be perfectly silent in all model S by now.

The front motor (if you have one) has a little electric whirring sound and it's the only motor you'd hear in the car, and is normal to hear it.

Unless you're perfectly fine with a used vehicle in the condition you drive it away with, don't take it.
This is a service loaner. Considered new. Front motor is making more than electrical whine. It has a mechanical aspect to it. Will get a recording and post for you guys to weigh in..

This is a service loaner. Considered new. Front motor is making more than electrical whine. It has a mechanical aspect to it. Will get a recording and post for you guys to weigh in..

Just get the fix in writing. There were reports of similar a long while back. Seams like they match the description your experiencing. Been pretty quiet on drive unit noise for a while.

Probably the pigtail connector got untaped under the microphone cover

This is a good guess! The cover comes off with a firm pull. Easy to check.

Just get the fix in writing. There were reports of similar a long while back. Seams like they match the description your experiencing. Been pretty quiet on drive unit noise for a while.

This is a good guess! The cover comes off with a firm pull. Easy to check.

Definitely asking them to put fix in writing on the screen and drive noise. Thanks for the suggestion on pulling that grill off. Will do that next time it starts and determine if it's something I can fix myself. Cheers! :)