Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D not available to update order that has free supercharger option per Tesla rep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It really doesn't make sense that if you had a 75 on order, you could upgrade to a 90 and keep Unlimited Supercharging, but going to a 100 you lose it.
The reasoning I heard is the 100D pricing takes into consideration that you don't have unlimited supercharging... additionally, makes the 90D owners (like me) feel a little better about having unlimited supercharging and not waiting for the 100D. Would not be surprised if the 90D option disappeared after the confirmation windows pass though. Maybe they have extra batteries to clear out though.

Some areas of the world have longer than 7 days to confirm (UK is 14) so I don't think they wanted to wait another week+ to announce the 100D. Would have been cleaner to wait until nobody could change their orders though.

It really doesn't make sense that if you had a 75 on order, you could upgrade to a 90 and keep Unlimited Supercharging, but going to a 100 you lose it.

It makes sense if you think about it right. They aren't allowing upgrades to something that didn't exist when you made your order. That's how it was explained to me. "New price book. Ordering out of the new price book means canceling the old order and creating a new one. No upgrades." Might even be a limitation of their accounting system or software. I have no idea. From a customer point of view, I'll agree that it looks inconsistent.

Meanwhile, the fact that it's only $3K to upgrade from 90 to 100 is awesome! That certainly helps take the sting away for people who decide to give up free supercharging, and possibly ventilated seats.

Reactions: Cowby and MP3Mike

Of course it makes sense. The 90 was available when free SC was offered, the 100D wasn't. As others have pointed out in other threads, Tesla allows customers to make changes to their orders under the same "pricing books" that they placed their orders under, and that trying to get a product from a new pricing book means that you pay the new pricing.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The other issue in addition to the 90D being obsolete, as some have said...in relation to battery capacity, is whether the autonomous functions or AP3.0 will obsolete the current AP2 hardware, especially with the very recent top tier hires, by TESLA.

Just another reason that a case can be made for the cancellation of current orders that are pending confirmations.

Thank you very much

FURY

The 90D isn't obsolete. It's still an excellent car with excellent range. A cheaper, slightly less capable computer isn't obsolete just because a more expensive, more powerful version exists.

The 90D isn't obsolete. It's still an excellent car with excellent range. A cheaper, slightly less capable computer isn't obsolete just because a more expensive, more powerful version exists.

Tesla's vehicles are more gadgets than cars. The thing about gadgets is that they're obsolete the day they ship. Within a year they're hopelessly obsolete. If that bothers you, then you shouldn't buy them.

I got my P85 in late September 2014. That meant it was one of the first that had AP 1.0 hardware. I had no idea I'd be getting that. Hooray! Not instantly obsolete like the cars shipped a week earlier. Two weeks later Tesla announced the dual motor version. Oh, no! Obsolete! The P85D not only drove better and didn't need chains in real snow but was now the new quickest car, by a lot. So much for being top of the heap (approximately, since the P85+ was slightly quicker). Two months later the P85 was discontinued entirely, pretty much the definition of obsolete. So it goes.

Great car. Love it. The newest cars not only have all that stuff, they have heated steering wheels, charging ports that can close themselves, newer and fancier autopilot hardware, LTE, different and better wheels, and it goes on and on. But hey, my frunk is roomier! At this point, I think I'm ready to trade up. The AWD has always been desirable, the AP 2.0 is the future, and the 100D provides enough superior range that it will make a qualitative difference. So, all I need is the right deal. But I'm not going to kid myself -- whatever I might get, it will be obsolete the day I get it.

The reasoning I heard is the 100D pricing takes into consideration that you don't have unlimited supercharging... additionally, makes the 90D owners (like me) feel a little better about having unlimited supercharging and not waiting for the 100D. Would not be surprised if the 90D option disappeared after the confirmation windows pass though. Maybe they have extra batteries to clear out though.

This makes the most sense. Consider the 60 to 75 upgrade is $6500 USD (or $433/kWh), the 75D to 90D is $10000 ($666/kWh), the 90D to 100D at $3000 ($300/kWh) downright "cheap".

While it would have been nicer to have other "incentives" for the lower tier product lines, at least Elon/Tesla is doing this.

Btw, I'm surprised the P model didn't get an upgrade. I would imagine from marketing perspective they would want a P1xxD that at least had a few miles more range than 100D (just to continue the one claim that the P has longest range). I have feeling they are working on this and will release this model out soon.

Some areas of the world have longer than 7 days to confirm (UK is 14) so I don't think they wanted to wait another week+ to announce the 100D. Would have been cleaner to wait until nobody could change their orders though.
So logically there's a price reduction coming to 75D for new orders without unlimited SpC...?

• Funny
My advise is for anyone who can switch to the 100D from the 90D for 3 to 3.5k and lose super charging should just do it. Here is the math:

1) 400 kWh free per year,
2) 400 kWh = about 1000 miles
3) 1 kWh will cost about $0.20
4) 1000 miles would cost about $80
5) 3000 miles a year would cost about $160
6 )10 years of using 3000 super charging would cost about $1.6k
7) cost of upgrading to 100D from 90D is about 5k still a good deal for a heavy super charger user

I understand that the free super charging is nice, but really 1.6k is not much in the scheme of things. BTW I lost $5k deposit when I changed from a 7 seat configuration to 6 seat configuration because I ordered before there were any Model X to test drive, and I missed out on AP2 by less than a month, and do not have the option for a 100D obviously. Count yourself lucky. I would trade my free super charging for a $3.5k upcharge and 100D upgrade in a heartbeat.
this is a good analysis. I would get 100D and lose free supercharging over keeping the 90D order.

Cancelled my 90D reservation today. I alredy have an S AP1 and will wait for Model3's development to spill over to X, even if Q1 18. I have a feeling significant changes will then occur with the X or whatever it will be called.

Prolly; the Ghosting gets a fix, maybe AP3 with the new hires at the top (that one bothered me the most about getting an X now, as there could easily be a new AP and that may be the message with those hires...), Rear ducting for HVAC (currently missing in the 5 seat configuration), headlight improvement, greater towing capacity and battery capacity, with fast charge capability, could/would also be in place, maybe functioning ventilated seats,

Thank you very much

Fury

@FURY you are correct.......
If you wait long enough, there will always be something new.
But the innovation won't stop because you finally bought your car.
IMG_0311.jpg

Hi NikeWings and Elon!

You are both correct...sort of. The issues at present in the evolutionary curve of Model X, with the perhaps Major policy change and a between the lines shift, with the new hires at the top of the AP chain, make the cost (purchase/ benefit (wait 6-12 months, especially if already owning a ModelS which may/works quite well for one's needs, attenuate that overworked ideation of simplictic procrastination.

Thank you very much

Fury

Hi NikeWings and Elon!

You are both correct...sort of. The issues at present in the evolutionary curve of Model X, with the perhaps Major policy change and a between the lines shift, with the new hires at the top of the AP chain, make the cost (purchase/ benefit (wait 6-12 months, especially if already owning a ModelS which may/works quite well for one's needs, attenuate that overworked ideation of simplictic procrastination.

Thank you very much

Fury

I love my S and don't blame you for enjoying it as long as its desirable to you!
Have fun.

@FURY you are correct.......
If you wait long enough, there will always be something new.
But the innovation won't stop because you finally bought your car.
View attachment 211652

As a MX owner I get this. How the frak are you going to explain this to a Model 3 owner who picks up their car and they find it is 'obsolete' since Model 3 owners who pick up their cars in 3 months are vastly superior? A HUD for example. AP3, bigger battery for same price, etc.

The 2016-2020 Volt is going to be a POS its entire run and no one complains because we all suffer together!

My advise is for anyone who can switch to the 100D from the 90D for 3 to 3.5k and lose super charging should just do it. Here is the math:

1) 400 kWh free per year,
2) 400 kWh = about 1000 miles
3) 1 kWh will cost about $0.20
4) 1000 miles would cost about $80
5) 3000 miles a year would cost about $160
6 )10 years of using 3000 super charging would cost about $1.6k
7) cost of upgrading to 100D from 90D is about 5k still a good deal for a heavy super charger user

I understand that the free super charging is nice, but really 1.6k is not much in the scheme of things. BTW I lost $5k deposit when I changed from a 7 seat configuration to 6 seat configuration because I ordered before there were any Model X to test drive, and I missed out on AP2 by less than a month, and do not have the option for a 100D obviously. Count yourself lucky. I would trade my free super charging for a $3.5k upcharge and 100D upgrade in a heartbeat.
That's what I'm going to do. I ordered a 5 seat 90D with delivery in late Feb/ Mar. I'll gladly give up the free SC and perforated seats for 40 miles more range. I want to tow an Airstream and the larger range the better. I doubt I'll put more than 12,000 miles each year and maybe as much as 4,000 per year of that will be towing. Larger battery will last longer as there will be fewer full battery recharge cycles.

That's what I'm going to do. I ordered a 5 seat 90D with delivery in late Feb/ Mar. I'll gladly give up the free SC and perforated seats for 40 miles more range. I want to tow an Airstream and the larger range the better. I doubt I'll put more than 12,000 miles each year and maybe as much as 4,000 per year of that will be towing. Larger battery will last longer as there will be fewer full battery recharge cycles.

Hmm... new calculations:
1) 1000 miles free a year
2) 7000 miles regular consumption = 7x$80 = $560
3) 4000 at lets say *double consumption due to towing = 4x2x$80 = $640
4) $1.4k cost per year for super charging
5) 14k in 10 years super charging
6) 3.5k for upgrade and change fee
7) Total cost of 100D upgrade would then be $17.5k over 10 years of lots and lots of super charging and towing

That's a lot. But I just realized the 12,000 miles you refer to might not all be super charging miles? And my assumption of twice the consumption might be off as well. If you can afford it, I would still go for the 100D upgrade in your position because it sounds like towing is a big part of your life style. 100D will certainly make that towing a better experience with less range anxiety between super chargers and less sitting around charging all the way to 100 percent to make that next super charger = a much more enjoyable experience.

Hmm... new calculations:
1) 1000 miles free a year
2) 7000 miles regular consumption = 7x$80 = $560
3) 4000 at lets say *double consumption due to towing = 4x2x$80 = $640
4) $1.4k cost per year for super charging
5) 14k in 10 years super charging
6) 3.5k for upgrade and change fee
7) Total cost of 100D upgrade would then be $17.5k over 10 years of lots and lots of super charging and towing

That's a lot. But I just realized the 12,000 miles you refer to might not all be super charging miles? And my assumption of twice the consumption might be off as well. If you can afford it, I would still go for the 100D upgrade in your position because it sounds like towing is a big part of your life style. 100D will certainly make that towing a better experience with less range anxiety between super chargers and less sitting around charging all the way to 100 percent to make that next super charger = a much more enjoyable experience.
that is a lot of super charging per year. for me, i think the 100D instead of 90D makes sense because I won't do more than maybe 3 to 4 big road trips per year and won't likely fit 2000 miles into this. but who knows, i might love traveling so much, i might use the car more than my usual habits. everyone who owns a tesla keeps saying this.

And my assumption of twice the consumption [while towing] might be off
Towing energy usage data posted on TMC by members like @JimVandegriff , @jackbowers , and @fortytwo showing that towing a medium sized camper trailer does in fact cut the range about in half, or even more under some conditions.

@azbob did say that about a third of his annual mileage will be while towing. If I were in his position I would go for the 100 battery and forget the unlimited free Supercharging.

Computer analogy doesn't apply. Power is the same.

Less range but better charging perks is a trade off.

P75/P90 and FUSC versus P100 have separate optimized cases depending on use.

Cancelled my 90D reservation today. I alredy have an S AP1 and will wait for Model3's development to spill over to X, even if Q1 18. I have a feeling significant changes will then occur with the X or whatever it will be called.

Prolly; the Ghosting gets a fix, maybe AP3 with the new hires at the top (that one bothered me the most about getting an X now, as there could easily be a new AP and that may be the message with those hires...), Rear ducting for HVAC (currently missing in the 5 seat configuration), headlight improvement, greater towing capacity and battery capacity, with fast charge capability, could/would also be in place, maybe functioning ventilated seats,

Thank you very much

Fury

My take is there is no better time than the present to own a Tesla since I've been observing and finding a "reasonable perfect moment" to jump in.

The 100D is a super battery for a reasonable price. A car ordered today with AP2 hardware should have full AP1 capability by the time it is delivered. It's all upside from there.

I am not 100% sure on the windshield ghosting fix (I wonder if tinting helps????) but I'm willing to throw down cash to gamble that AP3 hardware is nowhere near the horizon. They have barely touched AP2 hardware capabilities. Tesla has to be smart and leverage all the AP2 Hardware now and keep it the same for an efficient roll out to the Model 3 fleet. EAP has to be fixed soon and not fixed for the beta testing Model S/X users. It has to be fixed for the Model 3 mass market rollout.

Throwing in new AP3 hardware would be suicide and they would have to start from square 1 again.

Great times to enter in the MX family since last October would have been:

1 - AP2 Hardware
2 - Free unlimited super charging ending.
3 - P100D

4 - Faster battery? Maybe 100D has it, but still fast enough for me as is. HUD? HUD could be 2 years out.

Don't discount the enjoyment of the car in the present time. I was able to get rid of both my Audi Q5 and Honda Odyssey van with the MX. I am trying to find extra reasons to drive because its such a neat car!