Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D (not P100D) power levels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the 90D will be discontinued soon leaving only the 100D, hopefully Tesla will release more info and/or someone will do a precise measurement, ideally a comparison to 90D. It is possible that the 90D speeds are understated to make the gap to P90/100D larger, as in it can actually do 4.0 or 4.1 but Tesla states 4.2. If that is the case, the 100D will actually do 4.2s without any change in power/torque. That is a pure guess though, I do hope that 100D has more max power than 90D so it will have the same acceleration performance even if it is heavier.

Another possibility is that Tesla measures performance at max gross weight, and that the mass gross weight for the 90D and 100D are actually the same. This means that you can carry less payload in the 100D compared to 90D but they of course will have the same spec and weight at gross weight. That seems unlikely as car manufacture tend to measure spec at some minimum weight.

From what I was explained by a SC tech, the 100D motors were 'de tuned' or software limited to limit the amperage and keep the performance of the car far enough away from the P100D. In reality the 100D architecture should allow for a greater level of performance than a 90D if the motors were tuned for it. However given the 100D is sold as more of a range topper than a performance version, it makes sense to tune accordingly.

I've driven both a 90D and a 100D and I could not perceive any difference. 100D still Fast as F....

They are identical in terms of performance...only range is increased. The 100kw battery is certainly capable of handling a larger rear motor without worrying about too much about range reduction. (p100D). I wonder if there will ever be a software update allowing the 100D to accelerate into the high 3.7/3.8s realm. At least to further help differentiate from the model 3 without getting too close to the 2.5/2.3 sec P100D. Hmmm

As much as I would love a sub 4 second s100d, I don't think that is going to happen. I think Tesla wants to keep the gap between the P as wide as possible because the premium is just so much. I had been driving a p90d AP1 loaner for the past 2 months and am finally going to my s100d this weekend. Going to miss the acceleration but it will still be the fastest car that I've own. I do sincerely hope AP2 is now close to AP1.

As much as I would love a sub 4 second s100d, I don't think that is going to happen. I think Tesla wants to keep the gap between the P as wide as possible because the premium is just so much. I had been driving a p90d AP1 loaner for the past 2 months and am finally going to my s100d this weekend. Going to miss the acceleration but it will still be the fastest car that I've own. I do sincerely hope AP2 is now close to AP1.

You had a loaner for 2 months?! Please enlighten :)

Per a post I saw a few moons ago by @wk057 the non P Dual cars have power limited by the motors, not the battery.
The discussion basically said that the motors were the limiting factor in performance, unlike the P cars where the battery was the limiting factor.
With that being said the Voltage from the pack on 85,90, and 100Kwh packs is the same, so in lieu of weight differences the performance is the same.

Per a post I saw a few moons ago by @wk057 the non P Dual cars have power limited by the motors, not the battery.
The discussion basically said that the motors were the limiting factor in performance, unlike the P cars where the battery was the limiting factor.
With that being said the Voltage from the pack on 85,90, and 100Kwh packs is the same, so in lieu of weight differences the performance is the same.

It's also clear that Tesla is software limiting the current ramp to the SXXD. I'm fairly convinced that most of the holy !@#$ factor on the P cars is the suddenness of the acceleration, not the top acceleration itself. If Tesla steepened the current ramp, you could easily get the XXD under 4 seconds 0-60. And it would scare passengers very nicely.

Alas, there is no chance that they ever do it. I expect to see a small cottage industry in hacking these cars once the older cars come off of warranty. And getting full performance out of the XXD is likely one of the first things that will happen.

The S85 and P85 have the same motor. Not only that, Jason's modified P85 is pull more power and accelerates faster from a roll than a P85D.

The reality is none of the speculation matters. Waiting for hard data from anyone who will log the power either through the REST API or CANBUS.

Has anyone with a plain 'ol 100D measured power levels or with PowerTools or current and voltage with a CANBUS logger?

If so, 0-60? Passing 50-70, 70-90, etc?
I've been wondering what power my Model X 100D has, it doesn't say so anywhere in the written material supplied by Tesla. I don't have any tools for measuring, but I have determined the car reports delivering well in excess of 300 kW peak with the pedal to the metal. The power meter goes up to maybe 350-450 kW.

It's also clear that Tesla is software limiting the current ramp to the SXXD...Alas, there is no chance that they ever do it. I expect to see a small cottage industry in hacking these cars once the older cars come off of warranty. And getting full performance out of the XXD is likely one of the first things that will happen.
I agree with much of your conclusion (uncorking aside) but there is no current ramp per se. Looking at the runlogs now we know that the performance differentiation involves rate of change of power (or possible torque limit that creates an initial fixed rate of change) as well as max power and max current. Max current is the least noticeable of the three. You can see the differentiation here.