Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D owner: First loaner Model S (75D) experience at SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just dropped off my new inventory 100D at the local SC to get some work done (roof alignment and detailing) and picked up a loaner 2018 75D loaner Enterprise rental. The loaner has 20k miles and I felt a pretty noticeable difference in the way the car handles compared to my brand new 100D w/ less than 1k miles, but that was to be expected. For a lack of better words, the car felt a bit softer or worn-in (and a tad more sluggish) in the way the car drives and breaks, however, what surprised me the most was the difference I felt in the amount of regenerative braking or lack thereof on the loaner. This made me wonder if the regen strength weakens over time because the car is pretty much identical to my car, minus the smaller battery pack, or if it's all just in my head (most likely the case). I went to a supercharger right after picking it up and made sure the regen and acceleration settings were set to standard and the handling set to sport but found myself using the breaks more than I would in my car after charging the loaner to 160 miles and driving in near perfect weather. No real questions or complaints here but I wanted to share my thoughts after realizing that my new car will not drive (nor smell) like a new car forever. Don't get me wrong, the loaner 75D still drives great, but it was a reality check that the grass will always be greener on the other side. As I was leaving, I saw a Model Y in the showroom which was originally going to be our first Tesla, but we ended up going with a MS new inventory. No regrets, but I definitely gave it a real good look before walking out to my loaner. I digress.

• Funny
Reactions: Keester97
IMG_0089.jpg

loaner 2018 MS 75D

From regen perspective, a lot would also depend on the software version on the loaner. With 2020.24.x i noticed that the regen braking was not that agressive as before and i had to apply brakes to bring it to a complete halt . However with 2020.28.x the strong regen braking is back.

• Informative
Reactions: Bixby MS
Also. non-raven cars do not have one pedal driving and this regen would not be as strong or effective...as its goal is not to stop the vehicle but to slow it down as it regenerates.

Huh? Every car back to the 2012 Model S has one pedal driving. My 2016 doesn't stop fully all the time, but it will slow the car to slower than human walking pace. In 4 years I've rarely touched the brake pedal when the car was going more than 5 mph.

As for the noticeable lack of regen, it might just be the settings. I haven't looked in a while, but there is/was a setting for reduced regen.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Every car back to the 2012 Model S has one pedal driving.

I was going to make the same observation.

When I was first shopping for my current car I was really given the impression that early cars didn't have 1PD. It was only by actually seeing how the cars actually drive that I found out how little difference there is in that regard. If you slow down normally, the early cars slow to around 5mph, then the last 'stop and hold' you need to apply manually. I've seen some suggest that this (regen to standstill) is a factor in Ravens having greater efficiency, but that must be a microscopic difference given the tiny amount of energy there is to recoup at such slow speeds.

I also wonder if regen strength changes are more down to ambient temps than big changes in software. To argue against my self, I would say that I feel regen is stronger with latest software, but even in summer with 15deg C I have had regen limited to 50 kW or less until the motors have to do some work.

I think biggest difference in ride and feel come from wheels / size and tires, and obviously suspension version. So far, I have yet to find a setup I prefer to 19" / stock tires / Raven air.

State of charge can affect regen power, a more fully charged battery cannot accept all the current available from regen, thus weakening it. Also notable, the 75D battery in general can accept on average 25% less current at any given state of charge, meaning it's regen power should start tapering off at lower states of charge relative to the 100D. Not sure if this would explain your specific situation as you didn't mention the loaner's state of charge.

• Informative
Huh? Every car back to the 2012 Model S has one pedal driving. My 2016 doesn't stop fully all the time, but it will slow the car to slower than human walking pace. In 4 years I've rarely touched the brake pedal when the car was going more than 5 mph.

As for the noticeable lack of regen, it might just be the settings. I haven't looked in a while, but there is/was a setting for reduced regen.

thats what I meant. Full stop vs slow down to a crawl

This made me wonder if the regen strength weakens over time
They lowered regen a few times. It used to go past 60kW in the beginning (I remember people talking about 80kW but the bar didn't have numbers past 60), then it was lowered to 60kW for a few years. Then even more when they were trying to stop batterygate fires last year, but I think it came back a little bit after that. Your car probably isn't limited as much as older packs they are trying to protect.

They lowered regen a few times. It used to go past 60kW in the beginning (I remember people talking about 80kW but the bar didn't have numbers past 60), then it was lowered to 60kW for a few years. Then even more when they were trying to stop batterygate fires last year, but I think it came back a little bit after that. Your car probably isn't limited as much as older packs they are trying to protect.

Recent trip in Raven LR I noticed 74kw regen with not especially hard deceleration.

Screenshot_2020-07-15-20-52-53_1.jpg

iirc others have posted up to 100kw regen, but not sure what software version.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: croman and Chaserr
Yes! I almost bought one this winter if they had just announced the recall already and let me know if the current batteries are safe or not. I found out t6he standard range was still a 75 pack and those are essentially the same design as the 85 - I can't risk another batterygate.

Chevy's 2020 Bolt has more range and charges faster than my Model S, Porsche was comfortable and faster but less range. Nothing comes close to a new model S. Tesla just needs to do the right thing - everybody makes mistakes and I bought mine because I swallowed their "best warranty in the world" line hook line and sinker. Now I just want my car repaired so I can sell it and get one that doesn't have the same problem. If they make an attempt to be what they claimed when I bought my Model S I still want a new one.

...wonder if the regen strength weakens over time...

I don't think so.

...the car is pretty much identical to my car, minus the smaller battery pack...

No. Not identical. Please see Tesla blog.

Yours is about efficiency so you can feel the regen force stronger and it can stop to a standstill by taking your foot of the pedal.

Not with the older ones because they are different motors with a different design in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I don't think so.

No. Not identical. Please see Tesla blog.

Yours is about efficiency so you can feel the regen force stronger and it can stop to a standstill by taking your foot of the pedal.

Not with the older ones because they are different motors with a different design in mind.
You may not know this but the OP purchased a "new" inventory showroom vehicle that is actually a 2018 pre-raven model S.