TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

100D Roadtrip Idea - Entire Natchez Trace on one charge (440 miles), speed limit 50mph

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ratsbew, Feb 18, 2017.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

#1 ratsbew, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Map of the route
    Speed Limit

According to plugshare, there are public chargers very near both ends of the Natchez Trace. According to Tesla's website, a 100D can travel 468 miles at 50mph and 70 degrees without climate control.

This would be a great drive for someone to attempt without charging.

Bonus points if it can be done 100% with autopilot.

2. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

From a technical standpoint, it may be possible, but probably at a lower speed than 50 MPH. Elevation changes, traffic conditions (maintaining constant speed) and weather (rain, snow, temperature, wind) could also have a significant impact on range.

You should also assume you'll only use 90-95% of the charge, and not risking damaging the battery pack by depleting it too far.

3. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I've never driven it, but apparently there is a substantial portion at 40mph which should help increase the range buffer.
    If someone's going to do it, they need to do it before it gets too hot where they need A/C.

4. WMAC

WMAC Member

There are a lot of elevation changes, but, it's a net 1,000 feet change. From Nashville, it's essentially downhill. I've thought about it as I live about 5 miles from the start in Nashville. Would be better to get 10 100D drivers to do it in an AutoPilot convoy and take turns drafting like a bicycle peloton. That would make it a no brainer to get all the way there.

5. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I love this idea! Make it an event that will get headlines.

6. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

That would be a beautiful drive! I've driven a great deal of it, and it can be very nice. It's been a good while, but I recall that traffic typically is fairly light and easy to deal with (due to the highly enforced, low speed limit).

Now, should something go awry, are there any spots along the way where you can bail out for an emergency charge?

7. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Charging options are sparse. There are chargers just off route in Tupelo, MS which is approximately mid-way, but that defeats the challenge of one charge.

There are also chargers in Jackson, MS for an emergency top-off (if going north to south).