Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D slow off the line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a new 100D for a drive yesterday and although it had nice torque from 30-50, off the line it was pretty slow. Seemed like it was really holding back. I was under the impression that with electric motors, the best torque is off the line. Is this just because I was in a loaner car or because of some other setting. It wasn't in Chill mode.

Thanks!

Loaners only limit top speed (max 80mph). A slower launch it could be a couple things, temprature changes the resistance of the battery so it might have been a little cold, also as the weight of the X shifts to the back wheels, the front motor has less traction. This is why the performance X has the larger motor in the back. The tire tempratures can change launch as well and the surface of the road could be unfavoriable for a good launch .

Even with warm outside tempratures people that do tests on these cars need to do a couple launches to get an ideal time. So you might have had a good launch if you tried a few times.

If the car isn't "uncorked" yet (see the long thread regarding that), this could be part of it. There is a bit of an artificial torque limit near 0mph placed on non-P dual motor cars in order to differentiate the performance models.

On top of that, Tesla does not like burning rubber — traction control could be ramping your torque as to not screech your tires.

Overall though, it is a valid observation that on the non-P models, it feels like the car is holding back on you between 0 and 30mph. For me, this improved a lot after "uncorking" but still it's apparent that there's a software limit.

I thought it was well known Tesla artificially limits motor performance to stratify the product line. I.e. P models have no limits (beyond safety), then the 100, 90, 75, etc. are all "tuned" so the lower product is just a bit slower.

Will be interesting to see how they arrange the P model 3 next to the S.

The 100D is plenty quick for me at least. I rarely use the full power. (Usually only the very occasional red light.)

I do notice quite a lot of power limit when the front wheels aren't pointing straight forward, though. And the traction control light won't stop blinking in winter, of course. ;)