TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

100D stroked at <10% charge. Any concerns.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jbdvm1988, Apr 29, 2018.

1. jbdvm1988

jbdvm1988 Member

My 100D is at the SC awaiting replacement of the rear dive unit. I checked the phone app and noticed the SOC was under 10%. The SC told me there were no concerns with storing the car for 5-6 days until the drive unit is replaced. Does anyone know if this is a major problem. The service center person seemed very confident of the answer he gave but many things I’ve read disagree with what I’ve been told

2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

They should charge it to 50%. Leaving it at less than 10% is bad for the battery.
    The person at the service centre should know this, they might just be palming you off.

• Like x 1
  3. jschwefel

jschwefel VIN #1249, aka “Frank”

I agree. There are a lot of opinions on this, but I’m convinced 50% SOC is the best for the battery. Have them plug it in and set the charge level to 50% via the app.

• Like x 1
  4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yes, even Apple recommends 50% for long-term phone storage.
    Basically 50% is ideal, but anywhere around there is almost as good (30-70%). But <10% for days on end is definitely bad for the battery. Heck, even the 12V battery will die of the main battery fully depletes.

5. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Member

6. Ande

Ande Member

When the car stop driving, you still have 4kWh to spare.
    10% for a few days is not long term, and not bad.

• Like x 1
  7. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Why?

The higher the charge, the more damage occurs. 50% is often recommended because it causes far far less damage than 100%. Storing long term at lower SOCs, you risk running to near zero which WOULD be bad for the battery since some cells may be exposed to reverse polarity which will destroy them.

But 10% is really more like 15% and there is zero chance of going to near zero after a few days.

10% should be fine.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

10% is not a problem, 0% is.
    The reason why people say store near 50% is such that any vampire drain won’t take it down to 0% anytime soon.
    For Li-ion battery, time based degradation is worst when it is hot and high state of charge. So if you can gauntaee that it won’t drain to 0%, 10% is just fine. Minimize storage time at high charge % (90+, or even better yet, 80+)

Due to this reason, I usually charge to 80% in winter, 70% in summer

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I've read multiple sites saying it's best to store at 30% - 50%, and plenty of sites warning about leaving <20% for long periods.
    I don't know how reliable they are, but I don't know how reliable you are either :)

eg. Apple says "It's best not to leave a lithium ion battery in a low charge state (<20%) in a sleeping notebook for more than 48 hours."
    How to store Apple notebook computers and their batteries

The good folks at electricbike.com say "I would even go so far as to encourage anyone with an ebike to put their battery onto a smart-charger once a month to a 50% charge to ensure it doesn't get low. Or at a minimum check your voltage to be sure it's still over 20%"
    Long Term Storage of Lithium-Ion Batteries - Electricbike.com Ebike Forum

The JAXA Hayabusa spacecraft left its batteries at 50% for its 18 month journey through space.
    https://batteryworkshop.msfc.nasa.gov/presentations/04_Long-term%20Storage%20Li-Ion%20in%20Space_YSone.pdf

Battery university recommends " lithium-based chemistries should be stored at around a 40 percent state-of-charge (SoC). This minimizes age-related capacity loss while keeping the battery operational and allowing for some self-discharge."
    BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University

Powerstream recommends "The batteries should be stored at room temperature, charged to about 30 to 50% of capacity. We recommend that the batteries be charged about once per year to prevent overdischarge."
    Battery Storage FAQ, battery manufacturer's recommendations for storing batteries, storing lead acid, sealed lead acid, NiCad, NiMH and lithium ion batteries

10. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Dig a little deeper as to WHY those recommendations are made. It's strictly for the purpose of preventing the battery from going to 0% since you'd expose some cells to negative polarity and destroy them. You don't need to know how reliable I am. All you need to do is a little research if you care.

• Like x 2
  11. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

Yes, and furthermore imbalance happens with low SOC if it's under load. However in this case, it's not likely to be under load with low SOC, so for a few days 10% shouldn't do damage in any way.

-Jim

• Like x 1
  12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Got a reference for this?
    That the only reason to avoid low SOC is steer clear of this low threshold?
    Everything I’ve read guides me to believe that the batteries are happiest around 50%.