Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D upgrade to 72amp charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100Ds have only been in production for the last month or so before the latest change (including the all-glass roof and the 72amp charger). Has anyone been in contact with their DS to see what the 72amp charger upgrade will cost for those who didn't order it as an upgrade prior? I suspect the All-glass roof would be more difficult/impossible to retrofit.

IMG_1156.PNG
At least $1,500 if even available

View attachment 223604 At least $1,500 if even available
What does the 72A charger actually gives you in practice? Home charging at 48A will fill the car up overnight for sure, 72A will make it take say 4 he instead of 6.5. It is still too slow to wait around for and the standard rate is fine for an overnight stay. That is of course if the charger can support 72A charging at all.

Your time is the most valuable commodity you have - if you have a wall charger with a 100 amp circuit do yourself a favor and get the 72 amp upgrade. The earlier you get it with the ownership experience will just give you that many more hours saved throughout the time you have with the car.

At Tesla service centers with superchargers (we have 2 in Chicagoland) you might find yourself in a situation with a queue to access them (especially at 1053 w grand in Chicago) - the charger upgrade should get you home to finish charging in an hour where you might otherwise be waiting all that time to plug in). It would be 90 minutes with the 48 amp unit - just one example of time wasted with the standard unit.

At Tesla service centers with superchargers (we have 2 in Chicagoland) you might find yourself in a situation with a queue to access them (especially at 1053 w grand in Chicago) - the charger upgrade should get you home to finish charging in an hour where you might otherwise be waiting all that time to plug in). It would be 90 minutes with the 48 amp unit - just one example of time wasted with the standard unit.

I don't understand this hypothetical. If you're trying to get just enough juice to get home, and the superchargers are fully queued, where would you go to get your 60 minutes of 72 amp charge?

This weekend I wound up using an 80 AMP public charge station, though I could only draw 48 AMP from it. Would the 72 AMP upgrade have helped me in this situation?

I've actually never been clear why I can draw 300 AMPs from a super-charger at 350 V, but I can't draw 72 AMPs from a home circuit (without the upgrade).

I drive a little over a 100 miles round trip daily. Some evenings my wife wants to go into town for dinner and that's another 140 miles round trip. With a 72Amp I can juice up while I change clothes and get ready to head bank out. Time is our most valuable commodity and not something I will skimp on. My only real complaint is that it is now free on my Model 3 1/2 weeks after I took delivery

in the future there will be more 80A public charging stations. Its a relatively small price to pay for when you go on roadtrips and are not near a supercharger but theres a L2 station nearby.

Also if i remember correctly, the upgrade to a 72A charger after delivery was $1900.

in the future there will be more 80A public charging stations. Its a relatively small price to pay for when you go on roadtrips and are not near a supercharger but theres a L2 station nearby.

Also if i remember correctly, the upgrade to a 72A charger after delivery was $1900.

Still waiting for that future. Every new station I see go in is 30A @ 200V. Well, maybe even down to 192V.

I don't understand this hypothetical. If you're trying to get just enough juice to get home, and the superchargers are fully queued, where would you go to get your 60 minutes of 72 amp charge?

This weekend I wound up using an 80 AMP public charge station, though I could only draw 48 AMP from it. Would the 72 AMP upgrade have helped me in this situation?

I've actually never been clear why I can draw 300 AMPs from a super-charger at 350 V, but I can't draw 72 AMPs from a home circuit (without the upgrade).

You can draw 300A from super charger because it is DC. Public charger and home charger are AC and needs to go through a rectifier before it can be used to charge the battery. At least that is what I think...

People have been saying that for the past 5 years, but I haven't seen it. Chargepoint, EVgo, etc. are not deploying 80A J1772s and have no plans to do so. They're deploying DC charging for faster charging than 30A J1772, not high amp J1772.

Reactions: theheff
Our new S 100D has the "standard" 48A charger. We decided not to spend the extra $1500 to purchase the 72A charger, because of the 4 years of experience with our S P85 - once the supercharger network was installed, we never really needed more than 40-48A charging.

Assuming that we needed 80% of charge (staying between 10-90%) with our S 100D, with a 48A charger, we should be able to get back to 90% in 8 hours - which is fast enough to get a full (90%) charge overnight or at a destination charger. And when superchargers are available, they don't use the onboard chargers, so it doesn't matter if you have a 48A or 72A charger.

Since most S 100Ds will have the new 72A chargers as a standard feature - I checked with Tesla about upgrading our S 100D to have the new charger - and the cost of the upgrade is $1900 - what Tesla quoted when we ordered our S 100D in January.

For now, we've decided to stick with our 48A charger. If it turns out that we really could benefit from the 72A charger, we'll reconsider doing the upgrade. And, I suspect that as Tesla produces more of the 72A chargers, the price will likely come down - and a future upgrade could cost less than $1900. HPWCs were originally much more expensive - and those prices have dropped considerably down to around $500...

Though, I'm pretty confident 48A is enough, especially as more superchargers are added to the network...

Reactions: JClu
I don't see the need to go from 48A to 72A. Doesn't help enough to enable new behaviour or scenarios. I'll take it if it is nearly free, but would not appreciate a forced bundle. I would have to guess only a small percentage of people would have thought this option A la cart

I don't see the need to go from 48A to 72A. Doesn't help enough to enable new behaviour or scenarios. I'll take it if it is nearly free, but would not appreciate a forced bundle. I would have to guess only a small percentage of people would have thought this option A la cart

I agree, although for this week only the forced bundle is actually free (or cheaper than free!) when you compare it to what I paid less than a month ago. After April 24th when the base price is raised by $5000, then I guess the price delta goes away, but my 100D will still be less optioned out than the one month younger base model.

I drive a little over a 100 miles round trip daily. Some evenings my wife wants to go into town for dinner and that's another 140 miles round trip. With a 72Amp I can juice up while I change clothes and get ready to head bank out. Time is our most valuable commodity and not something I will skimp on. My only real complaint is that it is now free on my Model 3 1/2 weeks after I took delivery

100% agree. I have dual chargers (80A max) and while I charge overnight I don't the extra speed. But, when I do need the extra speed it's worth every penny. For example, driving all day and then needing to go back out at night. With 80A charging I can have over 60 miles added an hour. Otherwise, my family is relegated to one of our ICE vehicles. Another scenario invoked driving to a cabin for a weekend getaway. The cabin had a Tesla 80A charger. This allowed us to coast in on fumes, charge up quickly, and then go get groceries before dinner. Without 80A the family would be starving while we waited to charge.

People have been saying that for the past 5 years, but I haven't seen it. Chargepoint, EVgo, etc. are not deploying 80A J1772s and have no plans to do so. They're deploying DC charging for faster charging than 30A J1772, not high amp J1772.

Every sun country charger i've run into in Canada is 80A.... The technology is there and is being rolled out. Maybe not where you live, but it's out there. Washington state also has them along some corridor i forget which one, but its out there. As more high-kw battery powered cars get out there the demand for faster charging will speed up deployment/upgrades. Dont forget the majority of J1772 cars out there are nissan leafs with tiny batteries.

Supercharging uses DC direct fast charging and it bypasses your car's onboard charger, so it can charge at whatever rate the supercharger decides. Home/destination charging feeds your car AC power which your car's charger must convert to DC power for your battery, and that rate is limited by how much amps the charger can handle. Two different charging technologies. When the Model S first came out, there wern't even any superchargers.

Reactions: gopassgas
Every sun country charger i've run into in Canada is 80A.... The technology is there and is being rolled out. Maybe not where you live, but it's out there. Washington state also has them along some corridor i forget which one, but its out there. As more high-kw battery powered cars get out there the demand for faster charging will speed up deployment/upgrades. Dont forget the majority of J1772 cars out there are nissan leafs with tiny batteries.
Yes I know the technology is there and it's commonly deployed in Canada. SunCountry is rebranded Clipper Creek EVSEs. They're installed as one-offs in the US, mostly as free stations, but the commercial charging networks in the US aren't using them. I would estimate that less than 5% of the J1772s in the US were 40A or greater five years ago and the percentage is no higher today. Not when ChargePoint and EVgo are all still installing 30A units. These companies plan to meet the demand for faster charging with DC charging, not high amp J1772s.

Just heard back from my DS on this. They will add the high amperage charger for a change fee of $500. Though this is less than I would have paid had I optioned it to begin with - building the exact same car today offers this option installed for free. I understand things change and there are pricing changes and technology changes we all must endure for things to move forward, but throwing this in for a buyer whose car has not been built sourced yet seems to be the logical thing here. Holding a guy up for $500 who just committed to spending $117,000 with you seems a bit cheap to me.... I think I'll pass...