Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D upgrade to 72amp charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just heard back from my DS on this. They will add the high amperage charger for a change fee of $500. Though this is less than I would have paid had I optioned it to begin with - building the exact same car today offers this option installed for free. I understand things change and there are pricing changes and technology changes we all must endure for things to move forward, but throwing this in for a buyer whose car has not been built sourced yet seems to be the logical thing here. Holding a guy up for $500 who just committed to spending $117,000 with you seems a bit cheap to me.... I think I'll pass...
You can make a config change I think for $500 cost if it is at least 2 weeks from start of production, but if they are offering it to you for $500, then it doesn't matter.

Frankly, I didn't see the need for 72A charger, it isn't fast enough to make a real difference in actual use.

Just heard back from my DS on this. They will add the high amperage charger for a change fee of $500. Though this is less than I would have paid had I optioned it to begin with - building the exact same car today offers this option installed for free. I understand things change and there are pricing changes and technology changes we all must endure for things to move forward, but throwing this in for a buyer whose car has not been built sourced yet seems to be the logical thing here. Holding a guy up for $500 who just committed to spending $117,000 with you seems a bit cheap to me.... I think I'll pass...

Well different DS different story. I asked my DS about this. After consulting with the factory he told me that - since my car is more than a month away from production - he and his colleague in California are pretty sure it will be built with the extra charger. If so it saves me $1500. Great!

Yes I know the technology is there and it's commonly deployed in Canada. SunCountry is rebranded Clipper Creek EVSEs. They're installed as one-offs in the US, mostly as free stations, but the commercial charging networks in the US aren't using them. I would estimate that less than 5% of the J1772s in the US were 40A or greater five years ago and the percentage is no higher today. Not when ChargePoint and EVgo are all still installing 30A units. These companies plan to meet the demand for faster charging with DC charging, not high amp J1772s.

I agree 80 amp public J1772 stations aren't coming in quantity anytime soon to the US. But with Tesla Destination Chargers many of them are installed at 80A. Especially now that they can share a circuit, a hotel can put in 4 80 amp wall connectors on a single 100 amp circuit. According to Tesla's latest blog update there are 9,000 destination chargers and the goal is to have 15,000 by the end of the year.

Thankfully I only had to pay $1,000 for the 72 amp upgrade when I ordered my X. I definitely think it was worth it. I have an 80 amp Wall Connector installed at my house and have used high amp public Tesla connectors a few times.

What does the 72A charger actually gives you in practice? Home charging at 48A will fill the car up overnight for sure, 72A will make it take say 4 he instead of 6.5. It is still too slow to wait around for and the standard rate is fine for an overnight stay. That is of course if the charger can support 72A charging at all.

I use it all the time. I often need to travel at the end of the day, after my workday. I've usually burned some mileage over the course of the day and need to charge up before I leave. With my 80 amp charger at home, that gets done a lot quicker than it would with a 40/48.

Just came back from a weekend road trip. The two destination chargers at our hotel were both limited to 40A, which is typically what we've seen with destination chargers. So having the 72A charger may not help much with destination chargers, unless the locations decide to invest in higher amp connections.

For home charging, 48A is enough for overnight charging, and with 344 miles of 100% measured range and the supercharger network expansion, seems unlikely we'd ever need 72A at home.

Though, for $500, I'd get the 72A charger, if it was offered - so we'd have the same configuration that will be standard for most S 100Ds.

I'd rather it be a 96A charger (22kW) like the old dual chargers so that way those of us that have 32A 3 phase power can get the full 22kW from our home HPWC's.
ATM, the UMC is limited to 11kW, the HPWC 3 phase can deliver 22kW but the car can only take 16.5kW.
Or as a start upgrade the UMC to 16.5kW/24A or better still 22kW onboard charger/UMC/HPWC

I ordered a 100D on 4/5 and paid for glass roof. I did not select high amperage charging. My car is not in production yet and last week I asked my sales rep if I could get $1500 off my order for the glass roof. I just received an email saying my order was modified. Glass roof & high amp charging (which I didn't ask for!) are now included on my order. Woo hoo!

I know it's not a huge deal, but it's nice to reap some bonuses after ordering without having to pay the higher price for a 100D (I didn't want SAS). :)

As a previous Nissan Leaf owner - I cherish every speedy electron I get (my original "classic" 2011 leaf only get 12 miles per hour of charge at 16 amps). Do I need the 80a on my CPO 2013 all the time? Nope. But when you do need it, man is it spectacular and worth it 100%. I guess the only instance you would never opt for it is:

1) there is no way you can add 100amp breaker service in your garage
2) you always have a fallback second vehicle (even while traveling) and its another Tesla

Other than that - worth it.

Today I received confirmation the upgraded charger had been added to my build as I requested for no charge. Faith restored and looking forward to delivery...

Or you know, have to visit a supercharger to charge at 115 kW for free? :D
I guess you didn't read my post. The 80A destination charger let us charge while we unloaded our things and unpack at the cabin.

This whole should I or shouldn't I add high amperage charging is silly. It's unique to each person. I can tell that for me it's very important. Folks are dropping $4500 for wheels, $8k on FSD that's not enabled, $2500 on audio, $3500 on upgrades seats,etc, but the balk at the most important aspect of the car which is the battery and it's ability to charge said battery.

One more reason to full (72/80 amp) charging ability. I've got a 2012 S with dual chargers (80amps), and in October took a road trip that had me charging at Lake Topaz. A tree had knocked power out not 30 minutes before I arrived with 68 miles of range left. We had to trek north to Gardnerville where there was a TWC on a 100 amp circuit. What should have been a 45 minute wait at the super charger turned into 3 hours. If I only had the single 40 amp charger it we would had had to wait 6 hours. As it was lunch plus streaming netflix a movie on an iPad was able to make the time pass less painfully.

I have a 2014 P85D with dual chargers (80A), and a 80A HPWC at home.

I will agree with others that in 99% of scenarios, charing at 40A is totally fine, but I have certainly had at least a few occasions when 80A made a large improvement ... Once when a bad traffic accident blocked access to the Supercharger station, and I needed some charge to return home, and a nearby hotel had 80A chargers. Once when we had a roadtrip planned and my wife forgot to plug the car in the night before ... A few times when I came home after a long road trip, and the plan was to shower and then head out for a dinner.

It isn't necessary every day, but the flexibility, for me, was more than worth it.

At the same time, I also was charging off of a 14-50 for my first year of ownership, and it was only after 1.5 years that I even had a single chance to use any charger over 80A, so it's clearly possible to live without it.