Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D vs. P100D and towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a big-ish tow last weekend, about 240 miles each way to the track and back.

The X did great, pulling over the Grapevine without issue. On the way north, started the descent with 66% and finished it with 70%. Regen was more than sufficient to maintain/control downhill speed.

Pulling up that same grade southbound, usage leveled off at around 1720Wh/mi - but by the time we made it to Redondo Beach to charge, was down under 600. I attribute this to that leg starting at some altitude (Tejon Ranch - which also has a nice pull-in stall BTW).

For every person who asked me about the race car, there were 10 asking about the tow vehicle. And somebody got a pic of the rig at the track-

Axis Of Oversteer on Twitter

One hiccup was when pulling over a speedbump, when the trailer axles went over the bump at low speed, the rapid back-and-forth longitudinal force made the X freak out and park itself... fortunately it let me go again within a few seconds. After that, took it suuuuuper slow over speedbumps to keep that from happening.

Reactions: Kacey Green
j-rho- Just a thought, when you go over a speed bump, without a seat belt on, the same thing happens whether you are towing or not. I have found that if I have a seatbelt on, this does not happen. I believe the car thinks with a split second reduced weight in your seat, you have left the drivers seat and will put the car in park. Maybe something to test, but works for me.

The P100D only weighs 60 pounds more than the 100D. This must just be the weight of the larger rear motor. Wonder if you could get a larger motor from a wrecked P100D model S or X and then have the same vehicle that people are paying many thousands more for?

Good info. Thanks for sharing

What is in there? Viper GTS?
Gen4 ACR. X pulled it out to Willow Springs last weekend, worked great.
D7866CE3-732D-4080-BF7F-526A6D50EF61.jpeg

Before purchase I’d had concern about a non-P’s ability to pull this load up steep grades, but it went southbound up the grapevine just fine, needed only about 60% throttle.

On this trip was able to do 4 of 5 charges without unhitching, which was nice.

Before purchase I’d had concern about a non-P’s ability to pull this load up steep grades, but it went southbound up the grapevine just fine, needed only about 60% throttle.
The X is rated to tow 5,000 lbs, what does your trailer + race car weigh? I can’t imagine it would be a problem up any grade.

I have towed my 17 ft camper trailer, which loaded up is maybe 2,300 lbs, up the Grapevine no problem. I can easily pass the cars and trucks that are laboring up that grade.

The X is rated to tow 5,000 lbs, what does your trailer + race car weigh? I can’t imagine it would be a problem up any grade.

I have towed my 17 ft camper trailer, which loaded up is maybe 2,300 lbs, up the Grapevine no problem. I can easily pass the cars and trucks that are laboring up that grade.

I’ve done just about the limit with a large diesel generator (trailered) in tow. The X in 75D trim has plenty of power to move it.

I might cry because of the range loss, and as a result move at 30mph up grade but power is not the limitation.

;)
Errr, ummm, well, let's just say that based on my experience, one probably needn't worry about things bursting into flames if they go a bit over the limit.

Oy, bad headwind headed west from Indio tonight. Figured leaving with 96% would get me to Lake Elsinore (90 miles) but even at 50mph, wasn’t gonna happen.
Making an extra stop at Cabazon, which is right off the 10 and quite trailer friendly.

Figure it must be a 20+mph wind. Going the other way, was using about half the juice to go 65.

Attachments

• BA055C1E-FCDD-4089-8A76-1A4907995BA2.jpeg
    BA055C1E-FCDD-4089-8A76-1A4907995BA2.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 1E777DDD-0384-49F5-8C6E-8233F647D65F.jpeg
    1E777DDD-0384-49F5-8C6E-8233F647D65F.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 426
Tesla Winds and Elevation is good for these situations. Here's a picture from a trip last year across Kansas. You can use airspeed as your "speedometer". So if you know 55 mph is your ideal speed than keep airspeed at 55 mph.

tw.jpeg

Another thing I'll sometimes do is ignore speed and just go by avg usage over a 5-15 mile period. So if my ideal is 500Wh/mile I'll drive at whatever speed keeps the energy usage at that number.

And yes...sometimes that means I'm in the right lane going < 50 mph and getting passed by everyone. Luckily that's rare.