TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

100D

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tropical1, Nov 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz Fidelius Family Office

I'd like the extra range simply because my family prefers to make fewer stops on road trips, and would like to make more road trips in the X instead of the Cayenne. I'm willing to pay for the upgrade price to the 100D, which I'd guess would be $10K if they offered it today. But a mid-four-second 0-60 time is fast enough for me, so the P100D is not that attractive.

I jumped on the P85 option when I got my Model S in early 2013, but the regular non-P Tesla performance has improved so much that I no longer find the Performance option compelling. Hell of a compliment to Tesla's product line, IMHO.

• Like x 1
  2. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Tesla needs to get to a 400-500 mile range car.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

They will, several years from now. Batteries keep gradually improving.

4. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Active Member

I don't now. Tesla started in late 2012 with the S and the range was 265 miles. Today, 4 years later, it is 315. If that rate of increase persists, then we'll see 400+ in about 8 years. 500+ will take 16 years.

Or, we could look at it as a percentage. That would mean Tesla gained 19% in 4 years. So, in 4 more years, the range should be around 375. In 8 years, 446. In that scenario, it would be around 6 years to reach 400 miles.

And then we have to wonder, are the batteries better, or are they just making them larger? I recall reading an article stating Tesla left a lot of empty space in the 85's battery pack. Did they just fill that space? If so, we may be near the maximum range already. I sure hope not.

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Elon tweeted a few months ago that the battery packs may peak out at around 100kwh, maybe a tad bit higher.

However, that doesn't mean that there isn't room for advancement. They could definitely make the packs lighter but keep the same energy, thereby increasing range by reducing weight. There is also room for improvement in longevity and in charge rates.

6. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

most of my driving in the MS is long distance. I drive from Boston to DC fairly often. It would be nice to just have to charge once on the way down :)

• Like x 1
  7. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Count me in on one of the people hoping the Model X 100D is released soon. I'm ordering my Model X today (to replace my P85D) but would love the extra range as Superchargers are a little scarce around here still and the extra 12-13% would be helpful. May delay production a month or two but can't wait too much longer... will miss my Tesla too much!

• Like x 2
  8. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

On the other side of the coin, I'm out of range quite often and can't take the X some places I'd like to because it is "only" a 90D. 100D or higher would get me some of those places, and would save two supercharger visits on a long trip we often take (according to the calculators anyway).

9. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

If they would simply go with a flux capacitor and a 1.1 gigawatt nuclear reactor they could have unlimited mileage.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  10. outie

outie Active Member

That only applies to the current cells (18650). The new cells (2170) are going in the model 3 and that's what they'll use in the future.

11. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Anyone know when the new cells will be used in Teslas? Wonder what the first packs will be and if they will be lighter as a result. A P100DL with 20% lighter pack would get to 60 even faster which is crazy to think about. Unless the lighter weight limits traction? Maybe that's the secret sauce to the incredible drag races we see on all-season tires - the massive weight of the car keeps it planted with better traction.

Regardless... I just want Tesla to announce the 100D availability for the Model X so I can confirm my order. I've been a good boy, Santa Musk... PLEASE!!!!!

• Like x 2
  12. vigge50

vigge50 Member

When Tesla had the opening for the media I believe they said that 2170 will first go to Tesla Energy, then Model lll development and production and then 6-9 month(tesla time) after introduction in Tesla energy it will come to Model S and X.

13. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018

My bet is on them holding the 100D until next year to avoid having them available with free supercharging for life. I know, I'm a cynic...

• Like x 1
  14. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Hopefully not too long into 2017. I've ordered with delayed production to Feb 2017 with the hopes I can get the best of both worlds.

• Like x 1
  15. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

What does everyone value each trip to the supercharger at? $.10-20/kwh? Assuming you fill up 80% or 80kwh, that would be $8-16?

16. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Depends on your local electricity rate. Canada seems to have inexpensive electricity compared to California. I pay about $0.06/kw.

17. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

P100DL premium is probably $20k over the 100D price. I'm guessing based on the P90DL/90D difference. There will be some residual value of that $20k at eventual sale, but my guess is that it'll depreciate more aggressively than the rest of the car. Depending on how much you value the performance, the math might favor paying for Supercharging instead of "free for life".

18. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018

About $0.11-12/kW seems to be the cheapest you can get away with in my part of California. That's the night rate.

19. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

The P90D was $20k more than the 90D, and the P90DL was $30k more than the 90D.

The P100DL is $40k more than the 90D, so the basic math for the cash price (no options) will be:
    75D - $88.8k (actual price)
    90D - $98.8k (actual price)
    100D - $108.8k (guesstimate)
    P100D - $128.8k (guesstimate)

P100DL - $138.8k (actual price)

Ideally, I'm hoping they sell software limited 100D batteries to 90D orders soon.

• Like x 1
  20. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Yikes. That's why Solar isn't so popular here yet... with cheap electricity it's hard to convince people to switch.