Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I think:
  • 20% chance 100D's will be added to the design studio in early December 2016.
  • 30% chance it will happen in January 2017.
  • 30% chance in February 2017.
  • 20% chance they will wait for 2170 cells. This might delay 100D's until July 2017.
Previously I thought there was more than 50% chance they would introduce the S&X 100D's in early December. That would give them enough time to deliver a few thousand of those in the USA before the end of Q4. After all, Tesla still needs 25K deliveries in Q4. But the change in supercharging must have increased current orders a lot. Therefore, they might not need the 100D's in Q4 anymore.

However, the Supercharging credits system was announced on Nov 7th, 5 days after Tesla switched from 100% of production going to Europe and Asia to 100% going to Noth America. This is based on data on the delivery tracker spreadsheet. Therefore the supercharging announcement didn't help with Q4 deliveries in Europe and Asia. Also because the switch happened on Nov 2nd it shows that their order book outside North-America wasn't that big. A few weeks ago when I wrote about this, I was estimating the switch to happen today on Nov 10th.

Therefore there is still a chance 100D might be added to the design studio in early December. You might say, why don't they add it now? They could do that but then thousands of people will order the 100D instead of the 90D but Tesla doesn't have enough batteries to deliver all those 100Ds in Q4. That means they would lose out on 90Ds they could have delivered in Q4. Therefore introducing 100D too early would decrease Q4 deliveries, not increase it.

If somebody wants both the 100D and free supercharging for life, the best thing to increase their chances would be to place an order in late December. You could order on Dec 17th and confirm on Dec 24. However, right-hand-drive countries shouldn't wait past Dec 15th because otherwise, you might not get the car before April 1st which is the second condition for free supercharging.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on when Tesla might make the regular non-performance version of the 100D available on the X.
Might consider trading up for the new autopilot hardware and range.

Not anytime soon.
Releasing the P series without an equivalent non performance is new to Tesla and not without reason. It makes a lot of profit. It convinced many like me to upgrade solely for the range.
As long as Tesla continues to profit the numbers, I bet they will leave it as is for several months or a year.
They finally made a profit last quarter.

What would be the expected full charge range?

The prior mx p90d to 90d demonstrated the p series to maintain 97.3% of the std 90d range.

Conversely the ms p series demonstrated only 93.7% of the std 90d range.

I'd estimate using the numbers above the MX 100d to have between 297 and 308 miles of range based on the MX P100DL range of 289.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: callmesam
I'm thinking (and hoping) it won't be that long. While there are many buyers with unlimited budgets, I think there are even more that cannot possible justify a $40k increase for the speed and also reduced range. Hopefully their queue is cleared through rather quickly.

How about battery swap from 90D to 100D for existing folks who just want the +range?
A battery swap was done by David Nolan on green reports from his MS 60 to an MS 85 years ago. Cost approximately 20k. Since then Tesla has not allowed battery swaps on MS or MX even tho they allowed battery upgrades on their original Roadster... Seems they've realized they need to focus on basic things like production capacity, quality and SC responsiveness prior to elective battery swaps. I doubt any battery swap will be allowed for any MS or MX for the foreseeable future

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
A battery swap was done by David Nolan on green reports from his MS 60 to an MS 85 years ago. Cost approximately 20k. Since then Tesla has not allowed battery swaps on MS or MX even tho they allowed battery upgrades on their original Roadster... Seems they've realized they need to focus on basic things like production capacity, quality and SC responsiveness prior to elective battery swaps. I doubt any battery swap will be allowed for any MS or MX for the foreseeable future
OK, thanks. Maybe by the time 120D comes, they will allow ;-))

Given that the M3 batteries apparently have 30% more energy density with the new giga factory cells, I am hoping that in a year or so we will have 130 KW batteries for our MX. If I am going to pay 28K CDN for a battery upgrade, then that might make it worth it.

Any thoughts on when Tesla might make the regular non-performance version of the 100D available on the X.

January 2017 is my prediction so those large batteries won't be hogging superchargers for free.

Not anytime soon.
Releasing the P series without an equivalent non performance is new to Tesla and not without reason. It makes a lot of profit. It convinced many like me to upgrade solely for the range.
As long as Tesla continues to profit the numbers, I bet they will leave it as is for several months or a year.
They finally made a profit last quarter.

I don't see a correlation between the profit last quarter and no 100D. I also think most people who buy the P100D will still do so but they will increase profits by having many people buy the 100D instead of the 90D. I think you're the rare person who went P100D instead of 90D because of no 100D.

I don't see a correlation between the profit last quarter and no 100D. I also think most people who buy the P100D will still do so but they will increase profits by having many people buy the 100D instead of the 90D. I think you're the rare person who went P100D instead of 90D because of no 100D.

I don't think that type of buyer is as rare as you think. I would have thought really hard about going with a 100D over the P100D I ordered if it was available. My biggest issue was range, so even the small gain from a 90D to P100D was worth it for me.

Given that the M3 batteries apparently have 30% more energy density with the new giga factory cells, I am hoping that in a year or so we will have 130 KW batteries for our MX. If I am going to pay 28K CDN for a battery upgrade, then that might make it worth it.
I'm quite sure that they mean a 30% increase compere to the first battery that was inside Model S wish would mean 30% more then 85 kWh wish is 110 kWh.

i have a 90D and though it would be nice to have 100kwh or 130kwh just to know you have it, I honestly don't see why that extra range is so important to some people. I'm never out of range, not even close.

There have been many posts explaining why for some who have a very long commute, and/or live in cold climates without supercharger in route that having extra range would be very important and makes a significant difference.
It really depends on your situation.

Reactions: Jurnimon