Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100k miles in a facelift Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh you have much cheaper power than me. I'm in CA and my average power is $0.30 and as high as $0.68 during peak.
Also in CA, super off-peak pricing with EV-A plan on PG&E is around 0.13/kWh (varies slightly with season).

I do have higher rates during the day of course in exchange for my cheap overnight charging, but my solar offsets almost all of it.

Reactions: Hawkhandler
2015 85D at 97,000 miles. Like OP, I plan on keeping the car at least 8 years, and potentially much longer if everything holds up. I've posted before but it bears repeating, for anyone planning on a similar ownership pattern, definitely consider the following once you are out of warranty:

1. MCU eMMC upgrade ($700-$800)
2. 12V upgrade (to LiFePO4 Ohmmu battery, $550 including installation)

My other stats:

-annual maintenance done at year 1, 2, and 4 (I was given the okay to bypass year 3 after OTA diagnostics by Tesla)
-instrument panel LCD replaced under warranty
-driver's door handle replaced with gen 3 door handle last month (out of pocket)
-steering wheel scroll wheel replaced (out of pocket)
-burned out HID headlamp bulb replaced (out of pocket)
-third set of Michelin Primacy tires (35000 miles on first set, 42000 miles on second set)
-lifetime avg 330 Wh/mi

Happy motoring!

Reactions: Ciaopec
yep. get fu**ed. this is why i charge for free at my local train station, they got 60 lvl2 charger here for free. havent charged at home since

They have 60 charging stalls?!?! That is incredible.

As more and more Teslas hit the road and demand on electricity grows, the value of free Supercharging is also going to increase. Tesla is changing how they charge and wanting to charge for the power used to run the A/C and accessories. I only see the cost of electricity going up at Superchargers. Looking forward to completion of free employee charging at work, then it won't even cost me the meager $40/month to "fuel" our S.

Is that a program where they provide the public unlimited power for free? They sure are generous there. Is this a commuter station?

It is a commuter station. Theres a huge array of solar panels covering this lot.

If you have a chargepoint app or plugshare, check out Metrolink City of Industry in California. 64 free Chargepoint stations. Crowded in the morning, but starts to empty out around 11am, which happens to be when I wake up.

• Helpful
Reactions: EV-Fixme
It is a commuter station. Theres a huge array of solar panels covering this lot.

If you have a chargepoint app or plugshare, check out Metrolink City of Industry in California. 64 free Chargepoint stations. Crowded in the morning, but starts to empty out around 11am, which happens to be when I wake up.
Way cool. And you sleep as late as I do.

Reactions: aerodyne

So you pa

Some how I think those are intended for commuters that go to the station, park and take a train not people that go there, live near by and then park for free charging. Like many sites like these it can be frustrating to need a charge intended for regular "patrons" and find they are full of $100K EVs with owners to cheap to charge at home. I'm sure this does not happen here at all though.

Oh you have much cheaper power than me. I'm in CA and my average power is $0.30 and as high as $0.68 during peak.
How is this possible? Even PG&E in the bay area is 0.298/kWh at peak time.

The average residential electricity rate in San Diego is 16.35¢/kWh. This average (residential) electricity rate in San Diego is 6.58% greater than the California average rate of 15.34¢/kWh. The average (residential) electricity rate in San Diego is 37.63% greater than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh.

How is this possible? Even PG&E in the bay area is 0.298/kWh at peak time.

The average residential electricity rate in San Diego is 16.35¢/kWh. This average (residential) electricity rate in San Diego is 6.58% greater than the California average rate of 15.34¢/kWh. The average (residential) electricity rate in San Diego is 37.63% greater than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh.

You realize there are tiers on plans and different types of plans and rates. It's very easy to go up depending on your usage. My peak starts at $.48.

You realize there are tiers on plans and different types of plans and rates. It's very easy to go up depending on your usage. My peak starts at $.48.

Yes, but why would anyone charge at peak time? The whole point of Time-of-Day use and rates is to discourage folks from putting extra demand on the grid during the worst times of the day. Tell us what your off-peak rates are? At your peak rates, you might as well Supercharge, it would be faster and cheaper even if you didn't get FUSC.

If your local utility provider in California hasn't already switched to TOD billing and you're still on the old tier system, then look into solar power payment plans or lease. It will cost zero out of pocket and the companies will take care of the maintenance. The solar system is sized based on your 12-month average use so that it helps lower you back into tier 1 or, at worst, tier 2 rates. That provides a huge savings.

Reactions: kdphan
The energy on the trip meter only counts energy used from the battery. Charge losses in the battery and the onboard chargers are aprox 15-20%. So add about 15-20% to your cost for electricity.

210k miles, 81,929.6kWh put in, car shows 60,124 kWh used. 73.4% so more like 26% for this car... 287.5 Wh/mi shown, but from the plug it is 391.7 Wh/mi

• Informative
Reactions: David99