Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100KW battery upgrade now available $20k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help me with t

Help me with the math. If the 100D MX gets 39 kWh/100miles, and if you have access to the entire 100 kWh Battery Pack, I calculate a range of 256.4 miles. I assume the 295 mile range is a test of actually driving the car in some sort of simulation from completely full to completely empty. That would be 338.98 wH/miles or 33.9 kWh/100 Miles.
I was told that 39kWh is how much electricity you get from the grid (important since that's what you pay for), substract 15% for all the inefficient conversions, consider that the actual usable capacity of 100kWh pack is 98.1kWh (and 4kWh is reserved) and the numbers do match.
That means that rated miles still don't match to the EPA test miles since rated miles are at 324 Wh/mi, but using the numbers from the label we arrive at 332.5Wh/mi.

I don't care about 90KW or 100KW. I would just like Tesla to come out and say that I can in five years from now replace my 60 with a 90KW or 100KW battery, and I don't want to go 0 to 60 in a heart beat. Just would like to get a little more range down the road. I may be wrong, Tesla does not want me to replace my battery, they want me to buy another car.

I thought for a hot second this was now being offered... I'd like the option of an upgrade to performance. If the battery can be swapped, why not the rear motor and the necessary components?
The battery was designed to be easily swapped out in less than 90 seconds (remember those battery swap stations Tesla considered rolling out?). The rear motor was not designed to be easily replaced. Sure it can be done, but the labor costs would be significantly higher. Some things Tesla will just not upgrade (like AP2.0 hardware).

Well - - they did make available an upgrade for the Roadster. but yeah, I'd love to take our 75 kwh (which is really 72 kwh) & drop a 100 in it down the road sometime. some of the early model X's didn't get air suspension so I can see that such an upgrade would not be possible for them w/o it being even greater a hurdle.

"Ludicrous mode is more than just software and a badge. There's the inconel fuse that needs to be installed to allow the higher amperage draw too. From the press release, the 100 kWh battery upgrade also involves a new power harness."

I'm not 100% this would be correct info for all Model X owners. My guess is that any Model X owner with lower VINs like 5000 and down that got the free Active spoiler might also have the heavier gage wiring and Fuse all ready installed due to many of the chassis being pre-built - we all remember those initial delays. All the left over models towards the end of the quarter were converted to standard 90D models. The only difference being the actual motors used. Is there any known easy way to tell ? My 90D is 49xx from last June with active spoiler BTW - it's been excellent car with only minor internal fit and finish which have all been address months ago.

I just received an email from Tesla that my Signature Model X P90DL cannot be upgraded to 100 kWh battery. I ordered the upgrade before taking delivery. I will be looking for a more complete answer as to why and if there is anything that can be done, even with cost.

I wonder how many cars actually can be upgraded, and if any Model X can be upgraded. It's entirely possible that this promise was too much and very few if any will be upgraded.

My Model X was ordered 2016-03-03 and delivered 2016-09-12 in Finland.

Last edited:
I just received an email from Tesla that my Signature Model X P90DL cannot be upgraded to 100 kWh battery. I ordered the upgrade before taking delivery. I will be looking for a more complete answer as to why and if there is anything that can be done, even with cost.

I wonder how many cars actually can be upgraded, and if any Model X can be upgraded. It's entirely possible that this promise was too much and very few if any will be upgraded.

My Model X was ordered 2016-03-03 and delivered 2016-09-12 in Finland.

So basically Tesla had you take delivery under false pretenses?

They just keep going to new lows, don't they.

The saddest thing is I am not surprised anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: xborg and jelloslug
This was my reply from tesla about my Refreshed June 2016 P90DL MS in January

As it currently stands, the P100DL retrofit is yet to be released. We are diligently working on it, but no release date is currently available. You remain on the interest list, hence you will be contacted as soon as details become available.
Ive emailed them again today for an update and will post the response here when I receive it...