Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100KW battery upgrade now available $20k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received an email from Tesla that my Signature Model X P90DL cannot be upgraded to 100 kWh battery. I ordered the upgrade before taking delivery. I will be looking for a more complete answer as to why and if there is anything that can be done, even with cost.

I wonder how many cars actually can be upgraded, and if any Model X can be upgraded. It's entirely possible that this promise was too much and very few if any will be upgraded.

My Model X was ordered 2016-03-03 and delivered 2016-09-12 in Finland.

So basically Tesla had you take delivery under false pretenses?

They just keep going to new lows, don't they.

The saddest thing is I am not surprised anymore.

I do have to wonder how @jelloslug could disagree with me over that message. @Hyvätti 's information is very clear.

That said, we of course all hope Tesla changes their word on this.

One of the reasons that I purchased a Tesla was do to the sale pitch ( Yes you can update ).

Tesla’s idea of updating your car is to trade it in on a newer model. I like my S60, my hope was that as I hit 100,000 miles I would be able to UPGRADE to a bigger battery. I can’t see a problem restricting torque or speed. In the long run distance is the important factor and maybe then charging time.

One of the reasons that I purchased a Tesla was do to the sale pitch ( Yes you can update ).

Tesla’s idea of updating your car is to trade it in on a newer model. I like my S60, my hope was that as I hit 100,000 miles I would be able to UPGRADE to a bigger battery. I can’t see a problem restricting torque or speed. In the long run distance is the important factor and maybe then charging time.

I suspect the issue with the 100 pack on older cars is actually a weight problem and not the torque the DU can generate with a 100 pack. As you said, if this was the case it could be fixed with software. I believe one of the safety/test companies recently downgraded the P100D in a rollover because of the additional weight, and Tesla stated as a result they made a production change and expect the results to change in the next test.

Reactions: MP3Mike
At the 2017 Annual meeting someone asked if upgrading the battery was going to be an option, and Elon said it definitely was. He also said that there would be some restrictions on weight, and that the replacement pack would have to be roughly the same weight (at least that's how I interpreted it).

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
At the 2017 Annual meeting someone asked if upgrading the battery was going to be an option, and Elon said it definitely was. He also said that there would be some restrictions on weight, and that the replacement pack would have to be roughly the same weight (at least that's how I interpreted it).
Makes sense. The suspension is calibrated to the weight of the car.

weight one variable - 60 to 100 might be a weight problem

amperage another variable - electronics of 60 might not handle 100
certainly not Ludicrous which we know needs special contactors and fuse some cables??

upgrades sure - whatever is reasonable
Also remember chemistry improvements about 100% each decade, so your Model S 60 could get a 100-120 in 10 years the same size and weight battery you had when new. So not right now, but in time.

This was my reply from tesla about my Refreshed June 2016 P90DL MS in January

As it currently stands, the P100DL retrofit is yet to be released. We are diligently working on it, but no release date is currently available. You remain on the interest list, hence you will be contacted as soon as details become available.
Ive emailed them again today for an update and will post the response here when I receive it...

finally got a reply from Tesla on this,

Our vehicle accessories team will be reaching out to eligible customers in the coming months to confirm interest and take down a deposit for battery packs. After that we’ll work to schedule all customers with their preferred service center.

I can confirm that you are on the eligibility list, so we’ll be reaching out directly via phone/email in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, let us know if you have any other questions.

Our vehicle accessories team will be reaching out to eligible customers in the coming months to confirm interest and take down a deposit for battery packs. After that we’ll work to schedule all customers with their preferred service center.

I can confirm that you are on the eligibility list, so we’ll be reaching out directly via phone/email in the coming weeks.

Who or what's the email I should contact to find out if I can upgrade. I have a 2016 MS P90DL refresh.
Thanks
M.P.W.

lol, i wonder if im on the burbank SC call list.