Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100KW battery upgrade now available $20k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone gonna do it? $20k is like a M3 after tax credit, don't think it is worth it for 30 more miles.
I agree here, already paid $10k to unlock ludicrous, my P90D battery is still new so recycling mine just means it can be put into a Tesla service vehicle, why $10k more when they get my like new battery back? $10k would be fair, my friend who I just referred will get the opportunity to upgrade to 100D for $10k but he will now have to add Ludicrous for another $10k which he wasn't planning to do originally, but is now getting just to be in the 100 club. I'm not even so concerned with the bump to 2.9 more interested in the range.

On one hand I'm super excited to pick up my 90D on Monday. On another, I'm wondering if I would have paid the extra $$$ to get this instead. Probably not. I'm more interested in how AutoPilot 2.0 will figure into the mix after it comes available and if my 90D will be already wired for it?

Ludicrous mode is more than just software and a badge. There's the inconel fuse that needs to be installed to allow the higher amperage draw too. From the press release, the 100 kWh battery upgrade also involves a new power harness. I wonder if PXXD owners need to pay 10k to upgrade to Ludicrous, then the 20K to upgrade to 100 kWh Ludicrous because the language of the prerequisites in the press release imply that.
You are correct, an existing P90D would need the 10k upgrade to P90DL first before it is capable of getting the 100 pack for 20k. For existing orders, they would need to add ludicrous for 10k then 100 pack upgrade for 10k.

Here is some more fuzzy math for entertainment purposes only :cool:
http://jalopnik.com/the-134-500-tes...a-owners-a-mass-1785660991?utm_source=taboola

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
I am waiting to hear back from Tesla on whether the 100 kWh pack upgrade will deliver the same new P100D ludicrous performance in my P90DL. I know for the P90D to P90DL retrofit Tesla makes the statement: "The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D."

The $20K is kind of stupid money for a marginal performance upgrade (and some increased range), but it is amazing performance and that amount is much cheaper than the hit I would take trading my 1 year old car in on a new one. I'm inclined to do the upgrade since Tesla needs some people to step up and help subsidize the cost for the Model 3. ;)

Reactions: ArtInCT
I am waiting to hear back from Tesla on whether the 100 kWh pack upgrade will deliver the same new P100D ludicrous performance in my P90DL. I know for the P90D to P90DL retrofit Tesla makes the statement: "The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D."

The $20K is kind of stupid money for a marginal performance upgrade (and some increased range), but it is amazing performance and that amount is much cheaper than the hit I would take trading my 1 year old car in on a new one. I'm inclined to do the upgrade since Tesla needs some people to step up and help subsidize the cost for the Model 3. ;)
If you throw in AP 2.0 retrofit, you are buying more time. Once that is released in the MX you'll still take a hit trading up in a year. But more importantly, where did you see that retrofit performance statement? My MX was off the production line when I called to add ludicrous, at the time, I was being told by SA it wasn't in production yet. I ended up getting it retrofitted at SC.

Thanks, what other performance spec is there that changes besides acceleration?
The big one would be the 1/4 mile time. While my car is extremely quick and a blast to drive, it is pretty disappointing that existing P90DL cars were never able to achieve the 10.9 second quarter mile time that Tesla claimed (only 11.4 and then around 11.2 when launch control came out).

My understanding was that the parts were the same,(fuses and drivetrain) it was only a software change and badge update.
Obviously the battery swap is the big change. From Tesla:

"Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled."

Reactions: K Hall
The big one would be the 1/4 mile time. While my car is extremely quick and a blast to drive, it is pretty disappointing that existing P90DL cars were never able to achieve the 10.9 second quarter mile time that Tesla claimed (only 11.4 and then around 11.2 when launch control came out).

"Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled."
According to Tesla, acceleration at passing speeds improves as well. My second question was referring to the initial Ludicrous retrofit upgrade "performance statement" Seems like @vigge50 may be correct in assuming that this "performance spec" statement was carried over from the Model S P85D to P85DL upgrade compared to a P90DL.

That have change, resent P90D have been clocked at 10.8 second several times, it have also been reported that new Tesla Model S P90D get out more hours power then older ones. This means that P100D would be able to go in the low 10s.

Tesla is secretly adding over 50 hp to the Model S P90D Ludicrous based on 3rd party testing, what does it mean?

Tesla Model S P90D with Ludicrous mode runs a quarter-mile in 10.8 seconds [Video]

It makes no sense to me that existing orders can upgrade for $10k and delivered vehicles for $20k.

Delivered vehicles will be returning a barely used 90kwh pack, which must be worth something that should offset the cost of the upgrade.

Am I missing something here?

Reactions: systemcrashed
It makes no sense to me that existing orders can upgrade for $10k and delivered vehicles for $20k.

Delivered vehicles will be returning a barely used 90kwh pack, which must be worth something that should offset the cost of the upgrade.

I think you're missing Tesla's motivation, which is to sell new cars at a higher margin than selling battery pack upgrades. I think they're actively dis-incentivizing people who want to upgrade their current cars unless the profit margin is huge. They get more money from the 100kWh pack selling new cars or encouraging people to upgrade to that size than they do from replacing a battery pack for a car that's already sold.

I had some insight into this process when I bought my Model S in the middle of 2014. People were still waiting 6-8 months to get their cars specced and delivered back then. I had taken a couple test drives and my Sales Agent had called me a few times to follow up. We had basically decided that we would order the car but my wife's and my schedule didn't line up well enough to talk about it in earnest, so we just waited.

The Sales Agent called me out of the blue and said that they had some people "drop out of the queue" and if I wanted to order and confirm my order within the next two days I could have the car in 3 weeks. I thought to myself that it's a bit unfair to the people waiting for their cars for months, but it made sense from Tesla's perspective. Those people with existing orders would never know that people skip the queue. They've been given a delivery date already. Giving them a car a week earlier isn't going to make that much of a difference to them and certainly not profit Tesla any more. Using that incentive to push someone into ordering that was on the fence netted them way more money than delivering an existing order a week earlier.

I also think they're limiting the 100 kWh battery to the highest performing model because the extra capacity and the associated electronics to support it would make a non P version of the 100D faster than the current 90D and likely too close in performance to a current P90D. They'd rather people bump up their order from a P90D to P100DL than accept close-enough performance and drop their order down from a P90DL to a 100D.

I think the difficulty of doing something with a "barely used" pack is one of the problems. Tesla likely can't redeploy it. They don't have a mechanism in place for reselling used packs, as far as I know. So barely used or not, it's going to have to go through some disassembly and recycling process, which is pretty wasteful in resources and time.

I don't know that the difference is $10k worthy, but I do understand that there's a big difference between an undelivered battery pack and a delivered battery pack. Maybe it's something like going to a restaurant. If your server places a dish in front of you and you noodle around in it with your fork, you can't send it back and expect them to give it to another diner.

Actually, that analogy is terrible. But I still think that the fact that someone has used the pack at all makes things very complicated. There is likely to be a day, once the Gigafactory is truly operational, that they can rapidly recycle packs for much cheaper, but we're not living in that time yet.

I think the difficulty of doing something with a "barely used" pack is one of the problems. Tesla likely can't redeploy it. They don't have a mechanism in place for reselling used packs, as far as I know. So barely used or not, it's going to have to go through some disassembly and recycling process, which is pretty wasteful in resources and time.

I don't know that the difference is $10k worthy, but I do understand that there's a big difference between an undelivered battery pack and a delivered battery pack. Maybe it's something like going to a restaurant. If your server places a dish in front of you and you noodle around in it with your fork, you can't send it back and expect them to give it to another diner.

Actually, that analogy is terrible. But I still think that the fact that someone has used the pack at all makes things very complicated. There is likely to be a day, once the Gigafactory is truly operational, that they can rapidly recycle packs for much cheaper, but we're not living in that time yet.
Here is a thought. When and if a battery needs replacement due to a warrantied issue, is Tesla obligated to replace with a new battery pack? Can't they replace with a refurbished pack? This could be an outlet for their swapped packs with some discount passed to new P90DL owners who want to trade up. This could also save shipping costs to and from high volume SCs. Btw, your analogy wasn't that bad, except I would not try to noodle around with my battery with a fork unless it was a plastic fork...:eek:

If people who have not taken delivery can order the 100 for 10K AND take delivery and drive it until the upgrade is available...
So... what is the difference with the batteries of those that have already taken delivery?
I think none. The only difference is that they can cancel at a cost of 2K and order a new one, so 10K will keep them on board.
Those that have already taken delivery cannot... so they have to pay 20K

For those that argue that 20K IS the difference a new customer has to pay: P90D without L = 115K P100DL = 135K... so 10K for L and 10K 100 kWh.... as I already have payed for L... the price difference should be 10K.

The last 4 weeks since delivery have been wonderful, but not worth 10K extra.

Sorry for being negative / disappointed ....

It might also be because it adds up to some other inconveniences.....