Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100KW battery upgrade now available $20k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

systemcrashed

Please Reboot
Apr 7, 2016
USA
Announced today, just saw this!

Tesla announces the P100D: 315 mi, 2.5 sec, quickest production car in world

Nearly six months after white hat hacker Jason Hughes discovered references to a “P100D” badge embedded within the firmware of a Model S, Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a 100 kWh battery capable of 315 miles of range will in fact be making its way to the Model S and Model X. The news comes after the billionaire entrepreneur took to Twitter earlier in the day to tease of a new Tesla product.

The new 100 kWh battery will be Tesla’s largest battery yet and will be available for the performance version of the Model S and Model X with Ludicrous mode. The upgrade will catapult the Tesla Model S from 0 to 60 MPH in 2.5 seconds making it join the ranks of today’s hyper cars by becoming the third quickest car in the world and fastest accelerating production car in the world.

Existing Model S and Model X P90D Ludicrous owners are also given the option to upgrade to a Tesla P100D.

TESLA P100D
The Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode is the third fastest accelerating production car ever produced, with a 0-60 mph time of 2.5* seconds. However, both the LaFerrari and the Porsche 918 Spyder were limited run, million dollar vehicles and cannot be bought new. While those cars are small two seaters with very little luggage space, the pure electric, all-wheel drive Model S P100D has four doors, seats up to 5 adults plus 2 children and has exceptional cargo capacity.

The 100 kWh battery also increases range substantially to an estimated 315 miles on the EPA cycle and 613 km on the EU cycle, making it the first to go beyond 300 miles and the longest range production electric vehicle by far.

The larger battery pack is also available on the Model X, making the world’s quickest SUV even faster. Model X P100D with Ludicrous mode accelerates to 60 mph in 2.9* seconds and travels up to 289 miles EPA and 542 km EU on a single charge. Model X is also a pure electric SUV and can seat up to seven adults.

Model S and Model X are engineered to be the safest cars on the road and to have the highest ratings from NHTSA. Both have access to the Tesla Supercharger network for the freedom to travel long distance for free. And every Tesla will improve over time with free over the air upgrades.

Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled.

While the P100D Ludicrous is obviously an expensive vehicle, we want to emphasize that every sale helps pay for the smaller and much more affordable Tesla Model 3 that is in development. Without customers willing to buy the expensive Model S and X, we would be unable to fund the smaller, more affordable Model 3 development.

That last paragraph seems unusual for a product announcement, isn't it? Almost makes it sound like a desperate plea for more buyers of the top product....Buy this or Model; 3 won't come!

I believe that's an attempt to try and fend off the expected: "Very expensive tax-funded car gets even more expensive" spin that some reporters put on everything Tesla.

Hypothesis: A fixed part of the battery is reserved. The reserve does not increase if the battery size is increased. Hence more relative usable capacity?
My guess is they're using the new 20700 cells from the gigafactory instead of the 18650 from Panasonic. Lighter pack with higher energy density:

$5 Billion Tesla Gigafactory Worth $50 Billion, Analyst Estimates
Musk also noted that the battery plant will also be updating the form factor of its existing cylindrical Li-ion cell that carries a 18 mm diameter and 65 mm height better known as an 18650 to a larger diameter and taller 20700 cell (20 mm dia x 70 mm height)."

Having taken delivery of a Model X, P90D(L) two months ago, I am a little disappointed the upgrade cost is so expensive for existing owners. I am new to the board and admit lack of knowledge with past upgrades, but is there any possibility that the cost of this upgrade will be cheaper a year from now? I probably would have paid the extra $10k for the P100D(L) initially, but $20k is too rich for me.

Hypothesis: A fixed part of the battery is reserved. The reserve does not increase if the battery size is increased. Hence more relative usable capacity?
Plus, as we know, 90 ain't exactly 90 and 100 ain't exactly 100. So, between @deonb 's excellent point and actual kWh in the battery, the gain is disproportionate from the badge. Meanwhile, I'm still trucking along just fine with my 2012 P85. Still get 250+, and that's enough to navigate all supercharger routes.

I was really interested in this, but $20k is a bit too rich as an upgrade cost.

I feel like for the existing owners, they should've made it $10k (same as new owners) or 5k as a retrofit like they did for P85D to Ludicrous

I don't understand why Ludicrous mode is a requirement to swap out a 90 kWh battery for a 100 kWh battery, especially as Ludicrous mode is advertised as a software enabled option.

As a result, I'm excited for Tesla but am disappointed that my P90D X does not have an upgrade path. The vehicle accelerates fast enough. I would enjoy the additional range however.

My guess is they're using the new 20700 cells from the gigafactory instead of the 18650 from Panasonic. Lighter pack with higher energy density
Wrong guess. Tesla has stated multiple times we won't be seeing that geometry until the Model 3.

Re: the P100D battery: "This was constrained to make three digits in the kilowatt levels but without fundamental improvements in the cell chemistry. But there will be cell chemistry improvements in future." However, the engineer suggested, the theoretical limit with current cell geometry and cell chemistry is close at hand. "There are also some modifications to the seats to maintain side-impact protection, since the P100D is slightly heavier, as well as to the wiring loom."

I don't understand why Ludicrous mode is a requirement to swap out a 90 kWh battery for a 100 kWh battery, especially as Ludicrous mode is advertised as a software enabled option.

Ludicrous mode is more than just software and a badge. There's the inconel fuse that needs to be installed to allow the higher amperage draw too. From the press release, the 100 kWh battery upgrade also involves a new power harness. I wonder if PXXD owners need to pay 10k to upgrade to Ludicrous, then the 20K to upgrade to 100 kWh Ludicrous because the language of the prerequisites in the press release imply that.