Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1050mi road trip for $25

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from an ATL-Orlando-JAX-ATL trip.
Home charging, plus supercharging, added up to $25 of cost.
Used destination charging (no cost) in JAX.
Cruising around the Southeast for 2.5 cents/mi is just a crazy good thing.
In my former ICE vehicle, this trip would have cost $110 in gasoline (at 25mpg).
Initially I thought it'd take 500,000mi for my Model 3 to be paid off via fuel net savings.
It's going to be closer-in, because I didn't take free destination charging into account, nor the fact that gasoline prices are rising much faster than electricity prices.

Not on road trips but I did the math... if I charge at home, I'll pay 1.5-2 cents per mile to charge (6 cents/KWH off peak) . Assuming a set of tires is ~$1,000 and they'll last ~40k miles, then that costs 2.5 cents per mile. So, charging costs less than tires per mile.

There's some assumptions about the tires but it's probably not too far off.

Reactions: suwaneedad
I just added 69kWh for what would have cost $18 for a total distance traveled of 93.1 miles. Gotta love those short urban trips and ventilated seats.

Don’t think I’ll be getting a Model 3 or an S without included supercharging anytime soon.

The lack of these is one of the very few things that I dislike about my 3. It was a downgrade from our Lexus, that I only accepted because I was insistent that we stop being a household that burns gasoline. I hope Tesla brings ventilated seats to Model 3 soon (and I'm able to upgrade to them).

I agree that they are a nice feature. However, when they are offered and if you do get them, just know that a) there is a noted impact upon range, and b) they aren't completely silent. Having said that, would I get them again? Absolutely. I rarely need the heated seat option past 1 (of 3), and the cooling at 3 (of 3) is completely sufficient.

I would also pay for massaging seats - especially if they were actually decent in that regard, offering 3 zones (low, mid, upper) and different modes. Hey, a guy can dream. Until then, it's tempting for multi-day and -week trips to toss in one of those Costco Homedics see-em-only-around-the-holidaze powered seat insert massagers that aren't terrible.

If we are honest destination chargers tempt us to stay places we might not have otherwise, and my bet is we spend more more often than less.

I know on my last trip I spent more on lodging because Tesla chargers were offered.
Don't forget SuperChargers. They are conveniently located near shopping. I (and my spouse) have bought more stuff while charging than I can count. Supercharging does have a cost.

Reactions: SSedan
just know that a) there is a noted impact upon range, and b) they aren't completely silent.
Yeah, that's just fine. We are used to the noise level at least from the Lexus version; I assume Tesla's are louder because the vertical seat motor in my 3 is LOUDER than any respectable seat motor I've had in other vehicles. ;-) Range hit? No problem...easy enough to avoid it by simply not using them when range is a factor.

If we are honest destination chargers tempt us to stay places we might not have otherwise, and my bet is we spend more more often than less.

I know on my last trip I spent more on lodging because Tesla chargers were offered.
I can see that happening, although thus far for me it has not. We had already booked our Hilton Head vacation condo in May before I found a nearby destination charger (restaurant), and same for our recent trip to Jacksonville where I stumbled upon a destination charger in the parking lot of our hotel only when arriving. Jackpot! That said, I will surely get in the habit of patronizing destination charger providers...lest the destination chargers appropriately go up in smoke!

I can see that happening, although thus far for me it has not. We had already booked our Hilton Head vacation condo in May before I found a nearby destination charger (restaurant), and same for our recent trip to Jacksonville where I stumbled upon a destination charger in the parking lot of our hotel only when arriving. Jackpot! That said, I will surely get in the habit of patronizing destination charger providers...lest the destination chargers appropriately go up in smoke!

Definitely I even hooked up to a really crappy slow low voltage ChargPoint at a grocery store near home but out of the way just to make it used more often.
Local nature center has destination chargers and a BIG solar array, have plugged in there a couple times and am generous to the trail use donation box.

I think we need to organize and get hotels in out of the way places to add some chargers. Houghton MI comes to mind, I don't need a hotel when I go up there but I would spend a night at one in order to charge the car.

The lack of these is one of the very few things that I dislike about my 3. It was a downgrade from our Lexus, that I only accepted because I was insistent that we stop being a household that burns gasoline. I hope Tesla brings ventilated seats to Model 3 soon (and I'm able to upgrade to them).

I have ventilated seats and they are a disappointment so you aren't missing anything. My wife's 2018 Equinox has them as well and the output/effectiveness is far greater than the seats in my car. In fact, I rarely turn them on anymore and when I do, the interior cabin sounds like I'm in aircraft because they are loud as hell.

I have ventilated seats and they are a disappointment so you aren't missing anything. My wife's 2018 Equinox has them as well and the output/effectiveness is far greater than the seats in my car. In fact, I rarely turn them on anymore and when I do, the interior cabin sounds like I'm in aircraft because they are loud as hell.
DAMN, the concept that Tesla ventilated seats would suck never crossed my mind. Thank you, that makes me 'feel better' although I'm sorry to learn that those in Model S are terrible. Sometimes the fact that the car was designed by a bunch of people in moderate-weather coastal CA shows through, with unacceptable ventilated seats being a great example.