Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 shifts into Park by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was weird but I was able to figure it out, so here is some PSA to all: from time to time as I backed up my car onto my driveway I would notice my Model 3 would automatically shift into park. After calling support and some troubleshooting this is what I was able to find out and reproduce: if you have your seatbelt unbuckled AND you take weight off the driver seat (which apparently sometimes I do by supporting/pressing my right foot on the foot rest) then Model 3 will shift to park as a safety measure (kind of like it thinks there is no one or no adult and the car is rolling).

• Informative
Reactions: mako7c4
Txs, safety is good. It is interesting though as I had an S and have an X and never noticed this behavior before. Either my stance on the 3 is different or seat weight detectors are more sensitive (I have another thread on this for the back seat detectors)

Txs, safety is good. It is interesting though as I had an S and have an X and never noticed this behavior before. Either my stance on the 3 is different or seat weight detectors are more sensitive (I have another thread on this for the back seat detectors)

I just tried this on the MX last night while waiting in line at In-N-Out drive thru. With seat belt unbuckled, car in Drive, lifting my body weight off the seat, the car never went into Park. My foot was on the brake though so it probably knows someone is there pressing the brake even when very little weight is detected on the seat. I can't take my foot off the brake because I have "creep" turned on.

Car will go into park when it is set to REVERSE and seat belt is unbuckled. Model S does this too.

Oh "reverse" only? I don't remember ever had the car in reverse with seat belt unbuckled. I guess I could try it for science. :D I guess if I only have to back the car out of the garage, I may not have buckled the seat belt, but so far we only used summon to get the car out of the garage. It is just so easy and cool.

I undrrstand the motivation behind this behavior, but it seems clumsily designed. It shouldn't be so easily fooled into false positives like this.

Maybe it would be an improvement to require the driver's door to be open in order for it to trigger (in addition to the seat belt and seat occupancy sensor requirements). Or a (longer) timer on the seat occupancy sensor. Something to cut down on the false positives

This was weird but I was able to figure it out, so here is some PSA to all: from time to time as I backed up my car onto my driveway I would notice my Model 3 would automatically shift into park.

Same thing happened to me trying to back out of a parking space with my seatbelt unbuckled! It was really jarring and confusing in the moment; in retrospect it totally makes sense.

Yup! This just happened to me last week.

This was weird but I was able to figure it out, so here is some PSA to all: from time to time as I backed up my car onto my driveway I would notice my Model 3 would automatically shift into park. After calling support and some troubleshooting this is what I was able to find out and reproduce: if you have your seatbelt unbuckled AND you take weight off the driver seat (which apparently sometimes I do by supporting/pressing my right foot on the foot rest) then Model 3 will shift to park as a safety measure (kind of like it thinks there is no one or no adult and the car is rolling).

It is for the not so smart people. They back up with the door open or leaning out window and end up running themselves over as they fall out Hence buckle up. Keep butt in seat.

Not a good way to go. It does happen. Very sad.

If you assume that having to be buckled while reversing, that must be wrong – saying it not only by experience but inline with regulatory measures Tesla has to obey.

In the European Union, you are not allowed to reverse with mirrors or reverse cam only. You must reverse (i) turn around and look backwards through your rear window mainly (ii) so you shall be unbuckled (iii) and use mirrors as auxiliaries only. There are exempts and exceptions to this rule.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors