Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10A charging memory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge at work using a 16A 3 phase 415Volt supply. Until recently the charging current was always 16A making full use of the 11kW single charger.

Now the charging current cannot be raised above 10A. I read that the car remembers the charging current for that location. Is this really the case? Can the memory be cleared so that the car 'learns' that this is a 16A location once again?

I have checked the 3 phase supply to make sure that it is not under-voltage or has any kind of fault. When I take it to a different location with a 3 phase 415V supply charging is always normal at 16A.

So, does anyone have any tips as to what I might try next to restore my 16A 34mph charging.

Thanks in advance,

Best wishes,

Barry

(From the North East of England).

Now the charging current cannot be raised above 10A. I read that the car remembers the charging current for that location. Is this really the case? Can the memory be cleared so that the car 'learns' that this is a 16A location once again?
This is confusing, because these two things aren't related. Even when the car has an amps number memorized for a certain location, that will NEVER prevent you from changing the amps. It just relates to what comes up by default on the screen when you first plug it in. But you can always just press the up and down arrows on that charging screen to change it. That is actually the method of how you change or remove a charging memory location--you just set it to a different number. So your statement about "cannot be raised above 10A" doesn't have to do with the charging rate at the location. There is some other problem causing that. The limit of what you can adjust it to comes from the signal that the charging cable is sending to the car. So if it says 10A is the maximum, that's all the car will let you move it up to. Does the amps display actually say 10/10, or does it just stop going up and says 10/16?

Rocky, it says 10/16A. I can reduce the charge current down to 5A and then incrementally raise the charge limit to 16A but the charge current never goes past 10A. However, as I said, change to a different location and it always charges at 16A without problems.

At the location where charging is only at 10A the car reports a phase to phase voltage of 241 to 242 volts, so it is not under voltage which is causing the problem.

Thanks,
Barry.

Rocky, it says 10/16A. I can reduce the charge current down to 5A and then incrementally raise the charge limit to 16A but the charge current never goes past 10A. However, as I said, change to a different location and it always charges at 16A without problems.
Ummm, huh. You've got an odd one there then that I don't remember seeing. So it's correctly getting the 16A pilot signal, but something is blocking it from using any higher than 10. That's got me stumped. And you said it can still do 16 at other places, so the onboard charger in the car still works fine. Has to be something with your charging cable there at home.

At the location where charging is only at 10A the car reports a phase to phase voltage of 241 to 242 volts, so it is not under voltage which is causing the problem.
If anything, I have seen OVERvoltage cause this to a very small level. The onboard charger in the car is limited either by amps or by power level, depending on what it is getting. I've seen several people with the older dual chargers that could take 80A total, and their cars would frequently show 79/80 from their wall connectors. It was because the voltage was high at their house, like 247V. And that was a high enough total power level that the car was having to cut the current down a little. But I've only ever heard of that showing 1A less than maximum, so your 10/16 is something else.

Rocky, I was charging at the other location yesterday and it charged fine at 16A, but the interesting thing being is at this location the supply voltage is reported by the car as 254V! (It is very high but still within the UK grid voltage spec.).

So the problem seems to be that the car believes that 241V is too low for 16A charging but 254V is fine for 16A charging!

Reactions: ACarneiro
Oh, I did think of one other detail that you could provide which may be informative. I never think about this because we don't have any 3 phase electrical systems accessible to regular people here in the U.S., but that is pretty common in other parts of the world. Because of that, the onboard chargers in the Tesla cars are different for the ones sold in the European market versus the ones in the North America market. Is one of these locations 3 phase and the other single phase? The charging screen will show that. I think it's a little circle with a 3 in it next to the voltage number.