Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV and Battery Credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1623326926979.png

• Funny
Reactions: UCF3
Sorry, that's Elon Math. $36.7 billion a year is the fact (CBO calculation).
Not anywhere near the $1.9 trillion tax gift (break) for corporations and the top 10% handed out in 2108. Of which my small business got $0.

Go rebate!

CBO estimates that enacting this legislation would result in a net increase in the deficit totaling $367 billion over the 2022-2031 period, not counting any additional revenue that may be generated by additional funding for tax enforcement.

This estimate is based on language in two documents, which are available from the House Committee on Rules:

Rules Committee Print 117-18, Text of H.R. 5376, Build Back Better Act

Rules Committee Print 117-18, Yarmuth Amendment 112

STILL HOPEFUL for proposed tax credit. Manchin must have got a big promise.

But it's not so much about the manufacturers as it should be about stimulating and rewarding the environmentally conscious.

Hey, it is a drop in the oil bucket compared to the coal, oil, and natural gas subsidies of $5.9 trillion in 2020 — or roughly $11 million every minute. Ya, those guys who are currently gouging the marketplace.

Here's the scoop on the proposed tax credits.
  • Tax credit for EVs maintained at $7,500
    • Eliminates tax credit cap after automakers hit 200,000 EVs sold, making GM and Tesla once again eligible
    • The language in the bill indicates that the tax credit would be implemented at the point of sale instead of on taxes.
    • In order to get the full credit, the electric vehicle needs to be assembled in North America, the majority of battery components need to come from North America, and contain a certain percentage of minerals from countries with free trade agreements with the US.
  • A new federal tax credit of $4,000 for used EVs
  • Zero-emission vans, SUVs, and trucks with MSRPs up to $80,000 qualify
  • Electric sedans priced up to $55,000 MSRP qualify
  • The full EV tax credit will be available to individuals reporting adjusted gross incomes of $150,000 or less, $300,000 for joint filers
This would enable Tesla and GM to get access back to the credit – though in Tesla’s case, it would only apply to some versions of the Model 3 due to the new $55,000 price limit and of course Model Ys and CYBRTRKs below $80,000.

Probably retroactive for 2022.

Keep watching the Sinema

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster
Video 1
Those friends of the oil boys and men with deep pockets don't really get it.

According to them, we are approaching the 5% tipping point which will move us from first adopters to the tipping point and result in no need for an EV incentive. Ok, I understand. It's a selfish attitude that is all about making money in the present and who cares about the future!

The way I look at it, the EV tax credit should be less of an "incentive to buy" and more of a "reward for buying and contributing to accelerating the transition to sustainable transport. Vehicle purchasers who are conscious of their contribution to the environment should be rewarded.

Video 2 Very informative. Thank you very much for sharing.

Video 1
Those friends of the oil boys and men with deep pockets don't really get it.

According to them, we are approaching the 5% tipping point which will move us from first adopters to the tipping point and result in no need for an EV incentive. Ok, I understand. It's a selfish attitude that is all about making money in the present and who cares about the future!

The way I look at it, the EV tax credit should be less of an "incentive to buy" and more of a "reward for buying and contributing to accelerating the transition to sustainable transport. Vehicle purchasers who are conscious of their contribution to the environment should be rewarded.

Video 2 Very informative. Thank you very much for sharing.
As a TSLA investor I am happy with it despite the PHEV inclusion.

However, they are right that it is a poor use of money at a poor time. Money should go towards mining of battery materials IMO.

Reactions: Fairchild
This might be the missing piece.

Why subsidize EVs with a tax credit?
At 5% EVs, we haven't even reached the tipping point. Research reveals for every $1000 offered as a rebate or tax credit, it increases average sales of electric vehicles by 2.6%.

The purpose is to ACCELERATE the demand, REWARD the environmentally conscious, and ENCOURAGE the manufacturers to produce lower-cost EVs for the blue-collar worker like Hyundai is doing. GM and Toyota are still asleep at the wheel.

To accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

The REAL WASTE of taxpayer money IS the $5.9 Trillion In subsidies for Fossil Fuels,
According to a new analysis from the International Monetary Fund, coal, oil, and natural gas received $5.9 trillion in subsidies in 2020 — or roughly $11 million every minute —

EV subsidies are a pittance by comparison.

Check out Robs video today - he covers the advanced manufacturing tax credit as well, but notes a very big possible red flag for telsa: As the bill is written automakers making there own cells for use in their own cars DO NOT receive the massive tax credit for cell production.

In other words Tesla would receive the $35 per KW credit for battery cells only if they were to sell them to someone else to use in their products.

This is according to robs interpretation of the BIll.

So Tesla's cost advantage if they can scale 4680 production will be more than negated? Have Elon's nasty tweets about certain political figures been avenged?

OEM's have formed partnerships with Korean companies to build cells in the US. I wonder how this counts.

The credits will reduce Panasonic's net cost to make cells in the US, so Tesla should still benefit from some lower costs.

Maybe Tesla can make a deal with Panasonic to assume ownership of Tesla's 4680 production and then Tesla could buy the cells. This would cut Panasonic in on profits from Tesla's innovation and hard work, but they could work a deal such that Tesla would still be ahead with the tax credit, as opposed to forfeiting all of it.

Well I guess SpaceX will have to buy Tesla's battery division and sell it back to them.

I think Rob's interpretation is right. The government want one body to sell to another as that generates tax revenue. When you build it inhouse, the government doesn't get that revenue and you just get the credit.

• Informative
Reactions: jw934
Like I said, it most likely has nothing to do with a coincidence but it's about generating revenue.

Panasonic sells battery to Tesla. Panasonic pays taxes on that sale. Tesla pays taxes on that sale. Panasonic gets tax credit.

Tesla builds batteries themselves..uncle sam gets nothing...welp..guess they decided they will pay out nothing as well.

Tesla can always spin off the battery division as it's own company and sell it back to Tesla generating tax revenue for uncle sam.