Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11/13: Nashville, TN Hearing - Call for Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are y'all getting help from Glenn Reynolds, a University of Tennessee law professor who wrote a column citing the Tesla situation in Michigan as an example of what is wrong with American capitalism today?
How we 'won' in Vietnam, but are losing at home: Column

Reynolds, Glenn Harlan | College of Law

Being a distinguished law professor in the state he might be someone the commission would listen to-- or if not he may be a good resource if you have to go to the legislature.

Can't speak for Tesla, but I'm sure they see these forums. If that's someone you know, you should encourage him to be there.

Bonnie pardon the sarcasm but they want to avoid the argument in the legislature; "why didn't the MV commission deal with this?" it is important to have the MV Commission weigh in first to present the issue to the legislature. It likely doesn't matter which way the Commission rules. IMO (with many years as a lobbyist) this is simply positioning this to 1) win at MVC if not, then 2) pass definitive legislation. Teslas advantage is the connections of its owners and their passion coupled with the public opinion of the dealers. I am not surprised that this may be delayed in an attempt to wear us out. i will call tomorrow to demand to know exactly what is on the agenda and when. will post when i know.

Bonnie pardon the sarcasm but they want to avoid the argument in the legislature; "why didn't the MV commission deal with this?" it is important to have the MV Commission weigh in first to present the issue to the legislature. It likely doesn't matter which way the Commission rules. IMO (with many years as a lobbyist) this is simply positioning this to 1) win at MVC if not, then 2) pass definitive legislation. Teslas advantage is the connections of its owners and their passion coupled with the public opinion of the dealers. I am not surprised that this may be delayed in an attempt to wear us out. i will call tomorrow to demand to know exactly what is on the agenda and when. will post when i know.

Excellent. :)

I'm planning on being there. Got the call to action email from Tesla this morning. Happy to represent.

The copy of the email from Tesla:

Dear Tesla Supporter,

On Thursday, November 13, the Tennessee Motor Vehicle Commission will be holding a public hearing to review Tesla’s dealer license application. If approved, the license would allow Tesla to sell its vehicles in the state.

Tennessee law does not restrict Tesla from operating as a dealer and we have fully applied for and are legally qualified to receive a dealer license. Still, the Board of the MVC, which is predominantly made up of franchised dealers, has pulled our license application from the MVC staff and will consider it at this special hearing. This final review is an unusual step for what is typically a straightforward administrative matter.

The good news is that Tesla supporters now have an opportunity to let the Board know how they feel about consumer freedom of choice in Tennessee. We urge you to make your voice heard at the meeting.

Time: 8am
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2014
Davy Crockett Tower
500 James Robertson Pkwy
Nashville, Tennessee, 37243-1151

Thanks for supporting Tesla and the advent of sustainable transport.

Tesla Motors

Are we to be there at 8.00 AM or 9.30 AM? According to the lead post on this thread Tesla related business is schedule at 9.30, but the email from Tesla sates 8.00 AM.
Tennessee Owners (and surrounding areas) - you're on deck! As we've seen in other states, owners showing up at public hearings make a difference.

Next week, 11/13, there is a hearing coming up regarding Tesla's application to open a store in Brentwood (near Nashville). Tesla has been trying to get this license for nearly a year. Initially they were rejected, but then reapplied as a wholly-owned subsidiary licensed to operate in TN. The application is legally sound and there is some internal support, but the ultimate decision is up to the Commission. And no surprise to anyone here, the Commission is primarily made up of a committee of dealers.

The purpose of the hearing is to discuss the application & either grant, deny or defer. Obviously 'grant' is the desired outcome. 'Defer' is almost as bad as 'deny', because it leaves Tesla in limbo.

Who can make it? (I have a call into Tesla requesting the as-yet-unreleased chademo adapters, as loaners, but don't yet have an answer on that.) Please post below if you can attend. I know it's a bit of a short notice, but it really does make a difference when owners show up. Something about light of of day and public accountability :).

It's a bit more difficult for people to pull their tricks when it's not just their buddies in the room ... not that that would happen here, of course.

Logistics:
View attachment 63154

I tried to call the Commission but forgot that today is Veterans Day felt silly since I am a vet. I will call tomorrow morning and post info. The agenda does not have any useful information. It does not mention what they are considering or whether public comments will be taken. BTW the last meeting I had in that building parking was very difficult to find.

I tried to call the Commission but forgot that today is Veterans Day felt silly since I am a vet. I will call tomorrow morning and post info. The agenda does not have any useful information. It does not mention what they are considering or whether public comments will be taken. BTW the last meeting I had in that building parking was very difficult to find.
Another reason earlier is better!

Based on Tesla's statement that they have met the legal requirements for a license, it seems that the issue is whether a manufacturer owned subsidiary is able to protect the consumer. I expect that we have on one hand the current model which always ranks high in consumer complaints versus what we have experienced in buying our cars. I plan on describing my Tesla ownership experience versus over 40 years of buying cars from all kinds of dealers. If there is no evidence that a license to Tesla would harm the public they would be hard-pressed to deny - except that it is their ox being gored.

Probably for possible arguments down the road

A little dated but look who is number one with BBB complaints.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/07/25/the-nine-businesses-americans-complain-about-the-most/

An interesting read that should resonate with Republicans. The Heritage Foundation: [url]http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2014/9/give-tesla-a-truly-free-market [/URL]

Bottom line is it is not up to the commission to make law. If Tesla has met all legal requirements, they don't get to make up new rules. What possible reason did they have for plucking this particular application out of the normal work flow to *discuss*.

It's just so obvious what is going on. And I'm so glad you all are going. Thank you from the rest of us.

Talked to MVC staff. She said the legal review is first where their counsel goes over complaints with the commission. This is similar to other boards where they decide to launch an investigation. The sole agenda item for the Commission at 9:30 is Tesla. She assured me that they would not begin until 9:30. She called it a "discussion on Tesla". The public can attend but she said it would be up to the Commission whether anyone would be permitted to speak. I got the impression that I wasn't the first to call. There is parking about a block away at a paid lot near the corner of Jas. Robertson Parkway and Rosa Parks Blvd. I do not trust the Commission to wait if they know folks will be there and they finish the Legal Reviews early. I have also seen boards change meeting rooms making it difficult to find the new location. I plan on being there before 9.

this is a reply I got:

[FONT=&quot]From:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Barry Whitson [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 6:52 AM
To: me
Cc: Reg Boards
Subject: Tesla[/FONT]

Yes, on November 13, 2014 there’s a Commission Meeting for the public about Tesla’s application. This meeting will start at 9:30am and open to the public.

I have cancelled my morning and 1/2 my afternoon, booked a hotel room, and am driving 210 miles (tonight) thru sub freezing Arctic storm so I can be there tomorrow. Anyone want to meet for breakfast?

Wow, thank you!

I hope all of you decide to make TMC Connect this summer and drive cross country. If you do, you're all invited the night before the conference to my place for the 2nd Annual Party at Picnic Creek. What stories you'll all have to tell about these different meetings and hearings and drive events (thinking of you, Iowa & Minnesota).

You all are incredible.