Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11/13 S85 89K miles: New drive unit, 12V battery, and HV contactors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
December 2019 was a very bad month for me and my cars. From my neighbor's pine tree cracking a windshield to a Xmas vacation flat tire, then things got very weird for our S85. We were experiencing a "tracker beam-like" rotational whirring sound under load coming from the drivetrain over the last 6 months. 3 months ago, we started getting intermittent "Car needs service: Vehicle may not restart" every couple weeks or so. The message would come on and disappear after 5 seconds (not enough time to even snap a picture). I decide to make an appointment at my local Service Center to look into the issue but the soonest appointment is 3 weeks out.

Just before New Year's the message comes on and stays on. The next time we start the car we get a "Systems performance check" followed by a "Acceleration and Top Speed reduced," and "Regenerative Braking System Disabled." I tap through the MCU to call for roadside service advice; they say to drive the car to the nearest Service Center before attempting a systems reboot. I get there 30 minutes before closing day and they expedite me because there's something clearly wrong with the car. It just so happened that I was planning to stop by to return the loaner wheel/tire from that Xmas day flat I had in Las Vegas.

It turns out the logs were showing issues with the drive unit and battery contactors, and they replaced both under warranty. They even threw in a 4-wheel alignment and 12V battery to boot. Now I wish all this car misfortune could be left behind me in 2019, but 20 minutes before I return the loaner S75D I get sideswiped by an older fellow in a red Mercedes. I'm coming down south on Pacific Coast Highway at 40mph in the #1 lane with construction cones as a divider. The Mercedes makes an illegal left turn from an eastward driveway and nudges the loaner square on the rear wheel...there's red paint left on the wheel and black tire mark on his right bumper. 24 years of driving and I have my first accident.

IMG_2143.PNG IMG_2138.jpg

Were the contactors replaced under the 8 year infinite mileage warranty or did you have the ESA and pay $200?HV
It was the drive unit and the all the warning messages that triggered the service under warranty. The HV contactors, HVAC drain hose, pyrofuse, coolant, and 12V battery were all replaced as a consequence. The service rep explained it to me from the standpoint that several of the parts have been revised with lower failure rates than my original parts and that they wanted to make sure they eliminated all known reasons for my car to trigger those warning messages.

As for the damaged rental Tesla, the repair cost was $600 (mostly the cost for paint) and the MB driver's insurance covered it without any hassle.

If needed, PM me and I can send you the paperwork for my contactors work covered under warranty last May in SoCal.
Hi Aerodyne, I have problem with contactors as well and local Tesla service told me that it is not under battery warranty. But when I will find somebody who has this work solved under warranty, they will try solve it under warranty too. Weird attitude.
Can you please help me?

Hi Aerodyne, I have problem with contactors as well and local Tesla service told me that it is not under battery warranty. But when I will find somebody who has this work solved under warranty, they will try solve it under warranty too. Weird attitude.
Can you please help me?
Escalate or find another SvC. Anything in the HV pack or in the drive units is covered under power train warranty.

I was also under the Full 4 year warranty, so this issue did not come up, except they tried to tell me my CAN bus reader broke the contactors, lol

PM me and I will send an image of the work order.

Hi Aerodyne I was wondering if you could please message me the the work order, I am getting those replaced along with the 48amp charging module and showing the service center these were covered would help out my case of getting covered by the HV warranty. I tried to message you, and paid for that feature but could not find how to do it.

Hi Aerodyne I was wondering if you could please message me the the work order, I am getting those replaced along with the 48amp charging module and showing the service center these were covered would help out my case of getting covered by the HV warranty. I tried to message you, and paid for that feature but could not find how to do it.
Hi;. I sold the car last year, not sure if I have any images of the work order and printed records all went to the new owner.

Anything in the pack, is the pack. Show them the EPC. Does it shows the contactors are outside of the pack? Then it is covered by the HV pack warranty.

Let me know if I can help further.

Hi;. I sold the car last year, not sure if I have any images of the work order and printed records all went to the new owner.

Anything in the pack, is the pack. Show them the EPC. Does it shows the contactors are outside of the pack? Then it is covered by the HV pack warranty.

Let me know if I can help further.
Thank you! I mentioned everything I saw on this post and they are no longer charging for the labor to replace the contactors. Also asked why the parts were not being charged but labor was. Car died at a supercharger while plugged in. They initially said it was the pyro fuse, then said it was also the 48amp charging module, now it is also the contactors. I asked why the 48amp charging module needed to be changed since I mainly supercharge and have not used a 'slow' charger in months. I also mentioned that the charging module wouldn't brick the car, although the pyro fuse and contactors would. They just got back to me and said they need more time to run extensive diagnosis now. The charging module part is 2,200 with labor its a 2.5k+ repair that I don't understand now that I've informed myself a bit more.
Sorry if I typed too much, just wanted to share as much info in case someone else finds this post after having the same issues. Also thank you for your sharing of information saved me around $800 from the labor to replace the contactors.