Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11/16 build vs 6/17 build

Which would you get

• 11/16 build

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 6/17 build

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All!

Wife and I are looking at P100Ds and have narrowed it down to two identical optioned cars but mileage/price differences as well as build dates.
Both cars are AP2
Anything to watch out for/stay away from on the 11/16 build that would make the 6/17 build better?
I believe they are both AP2 and MCU1 cars otherwise identical except for mileage and price.

Appreciate the experts opinions and we can't wait to join the Tesla family

The 11/16 build will have an active spoiler that lowers a little at higher speeds and tucks away when parked, which looks nicer (to me) and provides visual confirmation that the car is locked.
The 6/17 build will have a fixed spoiler.
As much as some people say they don’t like the active spoiler, I remember seeing a poll on the forums here showing >3/4 of respondents preferred the active spoiler if they had a choice.

The 11/16 will also come with perforated/vented (albeit a little weak when compared to other car manufacturers’ seats), real leather seats. They switched to smooth, non-perforated, vegan seats in 2017. Personally, I like the perforated real leather seats better than the smooth fake leather. We have an infant and toddler, and not a single problem with the perforated real leather seats. The real leather seats seem thicker.

Regarding build quality, that’s just a luck of the draw ever since the beginning of Tesla IMO. I’ve seen used cars and brand new cars built these days that are both perfect and flawed when I was at the delivery center. This was also the case for us when we bought new and used Tesla. Our used was perfect whereas the new required various repairs.

Maybe one thing to look into is whether the 11/16 or 6/17 has ludicrous. Since you are buying used, check to see what the 0-60 time is on the listing. It will be either 3.1 or 2.8 seconds. Tesla does not factor whether a used car has ludicrous option into their used car pricing/listing. So, it’s basically free ludicrous if the particular used VIN has it. There is a (relatively) significant difference in acceleration between having ludicrous and not.

From my own used purchase research, Tesla also does not seem to factor into pricing whether a used VIN comes with 22” or 20” wheels.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
The 11/16 build will have an active spoiler that lowers a little at higher speeds and tucks away when parked, which looks nicer (to me) and provides visual confirmation that the car is locked.
The 6/17 build will have a fixed spoiler.
As much as some people say they don’t like the active spoiler, I remember seeing a poll on the forums here showing >3/4 of respondents preferred the active spoiler if they had a choice.

The 11/16 will also come with perforated/vented (albeit a little weak when compared to other car manufacturers’ seats), real leather seats. They switched to smooth, non-perforated, vegan seats in 2017. Personally, I like the perforated real leather seats better than the smooth fake leather. We have an infant and toddler, and not a single problem with the perforated real leather seats. The real leather seats seem thicker.

Regarding build quality, that’s just a luck of the draw ever since the beginning of Tesla IMO. I’ve seen used cars and brand new cars built these days that are both perfect and flawed when I was at the delivery center. This was also the case for us when we bought new and used Tesla. Our used was perfect whereas the new required various repairs.

Maybe one thing to look into is whether the 11/16 or 6/17 has ludicrous. Since you are buying used, check to see what the 0-60 time is on the listing. It will be either 3.1 or 2.8 seconds. Tesla does not factor whether a used car has ludicrous option into their used car pricing/listing. So, it’s basically free ludicrous if the particular used VIN has it. There is a (relatively) significant difference in acceleration between having ludicrous and not.

From my own used purchase research, Tesla also does not seem to factor into pricing whether a used VIN comes with 22” or 20” wheels.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought the real leather would be a better option and the active spoiler sounds cool as well!
Both cars have Ludicrous speed with a 2.9 second claimed 0-60 and both cars have 22" wheels too.
We're leaning towards the 2016 with AP2 to save a little cash, thanks!

The 11/16 build will have free supercharging for life, which will transfer with the car. The 6/17 may have free SC for the current owner, but it will not transfer to you. That is a significant difference IMO.

There was a very small window from Oct 2016 until Mid Jan 2017 for cars with AP2 and free SC transferrable with the car. A rare combination that you should jump on.

BTW, I have a 12/16 S75D and the quality has been very good. No significant problems for me.

The 11/16 build will have free supercharging for life, which will transfer with the car. The 6/17 may have free SC for the current owner, but it will not transfer to you. That is a significant difference IMO.

BTW, I have a 12/16 S75D and the quality has been very good. No significant problems for me.
To me the free supercharging is another great option! 11/16 build we're going to get! so excited!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Ah, yes, forgot about the free supercharging for life of the car on the 11/16 VIN also. That will help value of the car if you decide to resell down the line.

So many positives for getting the 11/16, not sure why people on these forums are always overwhelmingly suggesting newer builds—as also shown by the polling you have here.

Reactions: rob4448585
2016 cars have older FWD buttons, and I believe lack an extra sensor in the FWDs which detects an obstacle underneath.

2016 cars have a gloss finish on the back of seats versus matt on the 2017 car.

Tesla also fixed the 'ghosting' windscreen issue seen on 2016 cars versus 2017.

Newer slightly more efficient motors were also apparently introduced in around summer 2017 - I can get 4 miles per kWh if I hypermile our 2017 car, just under 3.5 miles per kWh was the best I ever managed in the 2016 car.

Tesla also started adding a dimple to the rear 3/4 passenger door frame to stop FWDs rubbing away the paint.

Sadly its likely both cars will have the 'accleration sudder' which Tesla still has no fix for.

I had Dec 2016 X that was written off and replaced by a July 2017 X. I have to say the 2017 car just felt more 'together' than the 2016 car. The 2016 car had groaning FWDs which despite many SC visits was never resolved, the FWDs on the 2017 cars never needed any kind SC work.

Overall its clear Tesla is making constant changes to the X through 2016/17, personally if cost was the same I would go for a summer 2017 car.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought the real leather would be a better option and the active spoiler sounds cool as well!

Not to sound negative, but the vegan leather seats hold up much better than the real leather ones, especially the perforated leather, which quite a few owners did complain about. The quality of the real leather is pretty average too IMHO and prone to sagging with use. But you should be able to make your own judgement on that when you see the car in person, presuming you are not buying sight unseen.

The active spoiler also had various reliability issues and probably one of the reasons why it was deleted in later cars. The fit and function of FWDs also improved a lot in later cars and was fairly well sorted by mid 2017. Overall build quality was and is still a bit of a raffle, but in general later cars are better screwed together as they gained more experience of producing them.

So anyway, I would have leant toward the newer car, but really a lot depends on the previous owner and present condition of each.

Both cars have Ludicrous speed with a 2.9 second claimed 0-60 and both cars have 22" wheels too.
We're leaning towards the 2016 with AP2 to save a little cash, thanks!

I think active spoiler disappeared more like April or May 2016 so if it is important I would verify that. I have a 12-2016 X and after first year where I did need several things fixed everything else overall has been much better.

The front door latches on 11/2016 one and FWD buttons on interior are probably going to be different compared to 6/2017. The FWD buttons is just a cosmetic thing but the front door latches are much louder in the 2016 builds than later. The good news is Tesla retrofitted many of these older latches to new ones for free. It didn’t sound like it was easy to get this done anymore (unless they break). Not a major issue but it is a difference. I got mine retrofitted and it is much quieter, but would not stop me if I was saving thousands of dollars!