Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11 days to clocks changing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
841482C4-ABBB-4A8D-B503-B1771E7016D9.png

Reactions: CMc1
It is certainly true that for anybody on a traditional E7 meter controlled by a timeclock or teleswitch, the timeclock is unaware of other clocks being wound forward and backwards and always switches based on GMT, so if your E7 period is 00:00-06:59 in winter, it will be 01:00-07:59 in summer.

The Tesla in-car charge timer DOES take account of BST, so if you use this to align your charging times with the E7 period you will need to change the setting in the car when the clocks change.

With Octopus GO it appear that the time of the cheap period is defined in civil time (ie. changes winter/summer), so you do NOT need to change the setting in the car.

I have not been able to find definitive info about what happens if you have an E7 tariff on a smartmeter. It may vary from operator to operator, and it seems that the in-home display is not to be trusted so you can't even stay up late and see what happens!

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and vitesse
Is it just me or did the Octopus explanation lay bare a stupidly complicated infrastructure?
Surely, SURELY for a relatively new project it didn’t have to be this shambolic?

Welcome to government IT - it's always like this. In order to protect against being ripped off by a single supplier, artificial 'competition' is introduced, hence there are multiple contractural interfaces between suppliers which may or may not align with physical interfaces between bits of kit. These contractural boundaries stop people talking to each other or mean that 'obvious' solutions to problems are impossible to implement.

The smartmeter fiasco may be slightly worse than average, but it's quite typical in form.

Reactions: PrGrPa and Roy W.
our E7 meter is permanently on GMT so at the mo, we start cheap electricity at 11pm and lose it at 6am. We were given this advice by the engineer who installed the meter, so if he's wrong, do let me know. That'll change to 12am and 7am later this month. I set the car to charge accordingly.

Welcome to government IT - it's always like this. In order to protect against being ripped off by a single supplier, artificial 'competition' is introduced, hence there are multiple contractural interfaces between suppliers which may or may not align with physical interfaces between bits of kit. These contractural boundaries stop people talking to each other or mean that 'obvious' solutions to problems are impossible to implement.

The smartmeter fiasco may be slightly worse than average, but it's quite typical in form.
Not so much "joined-up" as "chopped-up government"...

sorry... that didn't come out right. I mixed up the time on the meter from time on clocks. Now we charge when the meter says 23-06 because that's 00-07 in clock time. In winter, we'll charge when the meter says 00-07 because it will correspond to reality. In both cases, it's midnight to 7 in clock time... I'm just wittering on now...

• Funny
Reactions: vitesse