Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11 issues on new car - Tesla SC quotes almost $700 to fix 7 of them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have stated, it is a estimate, and don't sign it. I got the same process when recently I had the rear windshield replaced for the manufacturer defect, crack starting on lower edge. I got a estimate of $700+ email, didn't sign it, took it in for replacement under warranty.

If it's under warranty I'd wish they would not go this route, it gets people upset and threads like this get started. A lot of wasted energy.

Reactions: dchobo
Because you never bothered to read the fine print.
My Audi service paperwork said $149 diagnostic fee plus $180 an hour for out of warranty work.

I have purchased 23 cars over the past 31 years, 26 of which came with warranties, new, used or certified. At no point did any of them ever send me or provide a work order with pricing to be signed in advance, that’s ridiculous. Prices are posted for both diagnostics and work that would be done out of warranty as required by law. It’s quite clear the OP’s car is both brand new and still under warranty. So whatever system they are using, it’s not correct.

And agreed on not signing anything.

I have purchased 23 cars over the past 31 years, 26 of which came with warranties, new, used or certified. At no point did any of them ever send me or provide a work order with pricing to be signed in advance, that’s ridiculous. Prices are posted for both diagnostics and work that would be done out of warranty as required by law. It’s quite clear the OP’s car is both brand new and still under warranty. So whatever system they are using, it’s not correct.

And agreed on not signing anything.

I can only find service paperwork on my previous car which was a 2015 Audi A6, and my wife's current car which is a Mazda CX-9. Both have language about charges for out of warranty work, the Audi specifically quotes a diagnosis fee and hourly charge. The Audi paperwork also specifically says that the loaner car is no longer free if it's out of warranty.

Next time you drop a car at service read everything you're signing. There will be language that you agree to pay if the issue isn't warranty. It's not uncommon.

Essentially, Tesla is too up-front about the costs if the repairs aren't covered. Everybody else buries that in the fine print.

Reactions: dchobo
... I hope the last comment about refusing or returning, etc were just sarcasm, because you'll never accept any car in the future, if that's how you really feel.

No sarcasm. From numerous postings in this forum, we knew we had the option to (a) take delivery and fix things later (b) refuse delivery, let Tesla fix them first and bring the car back. We picked (a)..... Completely our fault... (ok this part has sarcasm in it).

After looking at at
Here are the 9 pictures for 9 of the issues.
The paint pimple and blemish are hard to see on the pictures.
The door handle alignment is slightly off and hard to tell from the picture.
I don't have picture on the front speaker alignment issue, nor the rattle issue.

I think you need to fix only (1) the door alignment and (2) driveway concrete.
Other issues look minor to me (but that's me), and I have found similar issues on my other new cars before.

A few of those seem a little silly to me. Some I can't even see what's wrong.

Like the bubble in the corner of the gasket. People need to get a grip.

They are more likely to butcher things if you ask for stupid things.

Also be careful, with any adjustments on FWD. Check the WHOLE door. Every gasket.
If everything is perfect you might not want to mess with the chrome being off. They could mess up your door to get that to look pretty.

Reactions: Sherlo and tvad
Come to think of it... the "Schedule Service" link in the app only allows 5 photos to be uploaded.
So maybe the Service Advisor, in a way, is only committing to 4 fixes out of 11 issues I posted in the description text.
He can't commit to fixing the other 7 issues until he actually sees them in person.
So he is just putting in a default "$97.50" charge for each of the 7 issues....
I guess this is the "normal practice" at Tesla.

These are the 4 with "0.00" in the quote:
Driver's side rear door, chrome trim not aligned at B pillar.
Paint pimple on passenger side rear quarter panel.
Creases on fabric of passenger side headliner frame.
Paint clear coat issue near C pillar near passenger rear door.

Anyways, I'll know better next Monday,

I can understand not wanting to drive down Main Street in a car with all these imperfections. But I've gotten a bit of Tesla Envy and (more often) Tesla Hate stares in some areas -- they think it's a 1%'er car. So maybe Tesla is trying to protect you from both envy and hate with this eye-sore jalopy-look camouflage? Should you find yourself surrounded by a mob of haters (banjo music from Deliverance starts here), you can suck on your teeth, point at all your misaligned parts and they will understand you're little people, just like them.