Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11 miles lost while parked for 9.5 hrs in sun...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just lost 11 miles in 9.5 hrs of being parked??

I recently bought a 90D last month (manufactured May 2017). I have a future trip planned where I will be leaving my Tesla Model S 90D parked in an airport parking lot in the sun, in hot humid weather for 11 days. To gauge the amount of battery loss while parked, I've been monitoring it at work during the hot summer days. Yesterday, it got up to 93+ degrees outside. I was parked in the sun, on black asphalt, with a window sun reflector (the silver fabric thingy) in the front window, back window and sunroof. While at work for 9.5 hrs during peak daytime, I lost 11 miles of battery. I was in the car around 6:30 pm so it might have lost even more if it was sitting overnight. WOW, that seems like a LOT!! I never opened the app to check on the car during that time. Other days it has been between 6 and 9 miles during work hours.

Is it normal to see that much battery loss? If so, I'll lose 120 to 150+ while parked and I am concerned about having enough to drive the 1.5 hrs home.

Is anyone else seeing this much battery loss?

Do you have Cabin Overheat Protection on? If so you will definitely notice more loss in hot weather at least for the first 12 hours while the feature is active.

Otherwise, you probably want to make sure Energy Saving is turned on, and you don’t check and wake up the car so frequently that it doesn’t remain asleep.

Reactions: mattobadia
Do you have Cabin Overheat Protection on? If so you will definitely notice more loss in hot weather at least for the first 12 hours while the feature is active.

Otherwise, you probably want to make sure Energy Saving is turned on, and you don’t check and wake up the car so frequently that it doesn’t remain asleep.
Thanks for the note on Cabin Overheat Protection. It was on. I just turned it off and will test again. Strange thing, last week I was monitoring it (and checking throughout the day on the app which I know affected it but I was just too curious not to look...) and it was up to 127% interior temp, so not sure the Cabin Overheat Protection was doing anything... Energy setting is ON. I'm making sure, now, the app is closed and I'm not peeking during the day so I can get a clear read on the battery loss... We'll see how it responds with Cabin Overheat turned off!!

• Informative
Reactions: teddytoons
It sure sounds like cabon overheat protection to me. I've parked at airports for days in the summer and that's about twice the loss I've had for a full 24 hrs-- and this was reported in less than half a day.
You are right, Cabin Overheat Protection was on. I just turned it off and will test again this week. Still calling for upper 90 degree weather with 72% humidity, yay!!

I just lost 11 miles in 9.5 hrs of being parked??

I recently bought a 90D last month (manufactured May 2017). I have a future trip planned where I will be leaving my Tesla Model S 90D parked in an airport parking lot in the sun, in hot humid weather for 11 days. To gauge the amount of battery loss while parked, I've been monitoring it at work during the hot summer days. Yesterday, it got up to 93+ degrees outside. I was parked in the sun, on black asphalt, with a window sun reflector (the silver fabric thingy) in the front window, back window and sunroof. While at work for 9.5 hrs during peak daytime, I lost 11 miles of battery. I was in the car around 6:30 pm so it might have lost even more if it was sitting overnight. WOW, that seems like a LOT!! I never opened the app to check on the car during that time. Other days it has been between 6 and 9 miles during work hours.

Is it normal to see that much battery loss? If so, I'll lose 120 to 150+ while parked and I am concerned about having enough to drive the 1.5 hrs home.

Is anyone else seeing this much battery loss?
If you leave it that long (11 days), make sure it is not "connected" , uncheck that box to limit vampire drain.

• Helpful
Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) will not come on each day when you leave it at the airport for the week. It will be active on the first day you are there since one of the requirements is that you have sat in the car (or driven it) each day and then assuming it is turned on in your Control Settings will keep your car at 104-105F for a period of 12 hours max. It also won't come on if your battery level reaches 20%. If you don't sit in the car--you can't turn it on by remote app, must be a physical contact with the seat. Remember this is really designed according to Tesla to provide protection for sleeping kids or pets that might have been forgotten in the back seat when you exit. We, like many of you I'm guessing, use it to protect the electronics (screen and dash cams) from overheating. And I do wish they would make it possible to activate by using the app.

I've been monitoring our car for several months now. Sometimes my husband has the car at work outside in the lot and the other times the car will typically be in our driveway at home. The 10+ loss of miles will be typical when the temps are in the 90-100 range I have found. It has to work much harder to keep the interior temp in that 104-105F range than when outdoor temps are lower.

I have found several occasions where the interior temp even with COP turned on and activated that day have been seen in the high 110+ range when I checked in on the app and called Tesla about it. Haven't really received any explanation for why it happens. So my recommendation if you want to use COP during the day like when parked at work is that you do periodically check in on your app to see the interior temp. You don't need to go beyond the first screen. If I check in and see it around 104F, I will watch it a bit longer and see that the temp then cools below 104F to know that it's working. When it does work (which is the vast majority of time in my experience), it will continue to work that day without any further input from you (like sitting in the car or taking it for a drive). I personally feel it vents hot air inside to the outside without using the A/C as much, but have no real way of knowing. I do wish Tesla would include a section on their website or update the manual to explain more of how it works when it's active, what are maybe the best car settings for it, etc. Since our MS has been parked outside (soon to be garage housed when at home), we have been using COP since it was made available. If you are able to charge at home or work each day, it's not a big deal to lose the mileage to COP assuming your daily drive is with a car with sufficient battery range for your trips.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Suggestion if you have concerns about leaving your car in really hot temps while at the airport for a week, see if you have a Park N Fly-type company near your airport that offers indoor parking. Here in San Jose we've used a company like that. They charge a little bit more for indoor rates but you know the car is inside and maybe there's more of an assumption better watched over?? by security. Also nice to use I would think if you live in an area with snow and ice and want a quick exit from the airport to go home.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I guess if you left the car for a length of time while away (like in an airport parking lot, etc) you'd have to decide about losing a little range for connectivity, vice more range and not being able to 'check in' with the car remotely.

Only because I don't know, and am still learning...but if you turn off 'connected' will you lose the ability to see and control temp settings and other items in the app totally?
No, you don’t lose remote control, but remote control can have a long delay. When the car is asleep, it only wakes up every few minutes to see if someone is trying to control it. So, you may literally have to wait up to 5 minutes to connect to your car if it’s asleep.

Totally fine for parking at an airport, but it’s why for day to day driving, people like leaving Always Connected selected.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Electric700
Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) will not come on each day when you leave it at the airport for the week. It will be active on the first day you are there since one of the requirements is that you have sat in the car (or driven it) each day and then assuming it is turned on in your Control Settings will keep your car at 104-105F for a period of 12 hours max. It also won't come on if your battery level reaches 20%. If you don't sit in the car--you can't turn it on by remote app, must be a physical contact with the seat. Remember this is really designed according to Tesla to provide protection for sleeping kids or pets that might have been forgotten in the back seat when you exit. We, like many of you I'm guessing, use it to protect the electronics (screen and dash cams) from overheating. And I do wish they would make it possible to activate by using the app.

I've been monitoring our car for several months now. Sometimes my husband has the car at work outside in the lot and the other times the car will typically be in our driveway at home. The 10+ loss of miles will be typical when the temps are in the 90-100 range I have found. It has to work much harder to keep the interior temp in that 104-105F range than when outdoor temps are lower.

I have found several occasions where the interior temp even with COP turned on and activated that day have been seen in the high 110+ range when I checked in on the app and called Tesla about it. Haven't really received any explanation for why it happens. So my recommendation if you want to use COP during the day like when parked at work is that you do periodically check in on your app to see the interior temp. You don't need to go beyond the first screen. If I check in and see it around 104F, I will watch it a bit longer and see that the temp then cools below 104F to know that it's working. When it does work (which is the vast majority of time in my experience), it will continue to work that day without any further input from you (like sitting in the car or taking it for a drive). I personally feel it vents hot air inside to the outside without using the A/C as much, but have no real way of knowing. I do wish Tesla would include a section on their website or update the manual to explain more of how it works when it's active, what are maybe the best car settings for it, etc. Since our MS has been parked outside (soon to be garage housed when at home), we have been using COP since it was made available. If you are able to charge at home or work each day, it's not a big deal to lose the mileage to COP assuming your daily drive is with a car with sufficient battery range for your trips.
Thanks for the note about the 12 hr limit and having to sit in the car to activate it again. That is great to learn!!

• Helpful
No, you don’t lose remote control, but remote control can have a long delay. When the car is asleep, it only wakes up every few minutes to see if someone is trying to control it. So, you may literally have to wait up to 5 minutes to connect to your car if it’s asleep.

Totally fine for parking at an airport, but it’s why for day to day driving, people like leaving Always Connected selected.

Good advice. Energy Saving On and Always connected off should both help to conserve overall energy usage. I find that I don't have to wait too long to get an update with the app when Always connected is off, generally up to 1 - 2 minutes.