Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110/120v Charging Amps Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting for delivery of my MY.

I'm trying to figure out how the charge rate on 120v is changed if you have a 20a circuit available.

If I use the supplied plug that comes with the car, what will be the amp draw limit be?

Can you adjust the amp draw limit on the touchscreen if you know you can pull 15a safely?

I'm trying to figure out how the charge rate on 120v is changed if you have a 20a circuit available.

If I use the supplied plug that comes with the car, what will be the amp draw limit be?

Can you adjust the amp draw limit on the touchscreen if you know you can pull 15a safely?
You can adjust the max charge rate on the touchscreen, but the max amp level depends also on your outlet (5-15 vs 5-20) and if you do have the 5-20 adapter .

The car comes only with the 5-15 included, you have to buy the 5-20 separately or as part of the set. 5-20 lets you charge at 16A max while 5-15 is has a 12A limit, so you get 33% more as long as you have the proper outlet and adapter for the 20A circuit

Hope it helps

You can adjust the max charge rate on the touchscreen, but the max amp level depends also on your outlet (5-15 vs 5-20) and if you do have the 5-20 adapter .

The car comes only with the 5-15 included, you have to buy the 5-20 separately or as part of the set. 5-20 lets you charge at 16A max while 5-15 is has a 12A limit, so you get 33% more as long as you have the proper outlet and adapter for the 20A circuit

Hope it helps
That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the quick reply.

So, why is there an amp adjustment available on the charging page? When and how should it be used?

To use the NEMA 5-20 plug adapter you have to have a NEMA 5-20R (receptacle.) In some older homes the receptacle is the 5-15R even though the circuit is wired for 20A. The standard 5-15 plug will fit the 5-20 receptacle but you can't use the 5-20 plug with a 5-15 receptacle.

Reactions: Redekw
I guess I will look in to getting the 5-20r and the optional Tesla 5-20 plug connector for the charge unit.

Thanks for the help with this.

I am still curious how to use the amp setting on the charging page. Is the max charging amperage determined solely by the plug adapter you use? or the amp setting on the charging page?

I guess I will look in to getting the 5-20r and the optional Tesla 5-20 plug connector for the charge unit.

Thanks for the help with this.

I am still curious how to use the amp setting on the charging page. Is the max charging amperage determined solely by the plug adapter you use? or the amp setting on the charging page?

The plug adapter determines your maximum amps, but if you want to go lower for some reason you can do so on the charging page. For example, if charging at a family members home where they have old wiring your plug adapter will set you up for 12 amps. Due to the old wiring it may be prudent to step that down to 10 or even 8 amps on the charge screen.

Keith

When charging at 120V using a standard 5-15 receptacle you should only use the 12 amp setting if there are no other appliances running on the same circuit. (When charging at 120V and 12 amps you are already at the 80% maximum of the circuit rating specified by code when charging an EV.) My 2017 Chevrolet Volt would default to charging at 120V and 8 amps. To charge at 12 amps you had to save this setting for your home location. I don't recall if the Tesla Mobile Connector defaults to 8A or 12A when using the supplied 5-15 plug adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I now understand how the car limits the amperage for the different outlets. I appreciate all the replys.

My original post was intended for when I would be parked at work, and there is only a 120v plug available. I would probably be using a 12ga extension cord, and wanted to know how to limit the amperage. I would not necessarily be looking to recharge, rather, I would like to save the onboard charge and use the plugged connection to provide any power necessary for preconditioning and battery maintenance. Hope that makes sense.

You will have to experiment with setting the maximum charging amperage to either the 8A or the 12A maximum when charging at 120V. (If you are not concerned with maximizing charging while plugged into the 120V receptacle at work you can use the 8A setting on the Tesla charging screen. )

The benefit of being plugged into a 120V receptacle, charging, is that over the 8 or 9 hours you are at work you can add between 24 and 36 miles of range to the battery while your Model Y is parked during the day. This may be enough range to cover your return trip or possibly the round trip. The amount of energy used to precondition the vehicle in the afternoon before your start your afternoon drive is not significant as you will only want to precondition for ~10 minutes. For the purpose of preconditioning for ~10 minutes it really doesn't matter whether the Tesla Model Y is plugged in. (Preconditioning in winter can draw more than 7kW from the battery; charging at 120V/12A can only charge at 1.4kW. This is not enough to make a difference as far as replenishing what is drawn from the battery to precondition.)

Become familiar with physical difference between the NEMA 5-15R and the NEMA 5-20R. If the 120V receptacle at your workplace is a NEMA 5-20R you can use the 120V/12A setting with no concern. (If the receptacle at work is a NEMA 5-20R and you purchase the Tesla NEMA 5-20 power plug adapter ($35 from the Tesla online store) you can charge at up to 120V/16A. Charging at 120V/16A can add 6 miles of range to the Model Y per hour when charging, between 48 and 54 miles over 8 or 9 hours of charging.)

The Tesla Mobile Connector will only charge at 120V/16A when used with the NEMA 5-20 power plug adapter. When using the NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter (this adapter comes with the Tesla vehicle in the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit) the Gen2 Mobile Connector will enable charging at a maximum of 120V and 12A. (Note that the standard 5-15 power plug can be inserted into a 5-20R (receptacle) however a 5-20 power plug cannot be inserted into a 5-15R.) You would not be able to use a standard 120V extension cord with the NEMA 5-20 power plug. This would require a 12 gauge extension cord with a 5-20 plug and receptacle.)

https://www.quora.com/120-volt-wall-plugs

Last edited:
  • Helpful
jcanoe, that is the clearest explanation I have seen to date. Thank you for the thorough run down.

A question comes to mind for the different preconditioning modes. You said that the winter precon can use up to 7kw. Would that be 10 min on say a 30F day, or would that be closer to a 10F temp day? How can you tell what you used? Will it show up on the energy screens or the trip screens under the car symbol?

How much energy for 10 min precon in the summer, on say a 95F day?

Thanks for working this thread with me.

jcanoe, that is the clearest explanation I have seen to date. Thank you for the thorough run down.

A question comes to mind for the different preconditioning modes. You said that the winter precon can use up to 7kw. Would that be 10 min on say a 30F day, or would that be closer to a 10F temp day? How can you tell what you used? Will it show up on the energy screens or the trip screens under the car symbol?

How much energy for 10 min precon in the summer, on say a 95F day?

Thanks for working this thread with me.
In cold weather the Model Y (also Model 3) use the stator (the part of an electric motor that is fixed) of the front and rear drive units to generate heat for the battery pack, other heating needs. This has been measured to use a little over 3.5kW for each drive unit; ~7.3 kW for both. The Model Y will use ~220W while powered on. Add a coolant pump circulating coolant and the total power draw is closer to 8kW.

There are several temperature thresholds to keep in mind when the battery pack is cold. First, note that you don't absolutely have to precondition to warm the battery in anything like normal winter temperatures (down to 10F (-12C) for example) but if you don't precondition then A) the battery cannot be charged and B) there will be no regenerative braking available, C) maximum power available from the battery may be reduced. So we generally precondition for a period of time because having some regenerative braking is preferable not having any. The first temperature threshold is 50F (10C). That is the temperature that is required before the battery can be charged, some regenerative braking is available. The second temperature threshold is 68F (20C) that is the temperature when the Model Y has warmed the battery for general driving; excess heat is used to warm the passenger cabin. The third temperature threshold is used when navigating to a Supercharger. The Tesla's battery management system will pre-warm the battery pack while on route to a Supercharger; the optimal temperature is right around ~114F to 115F for the fastest and most efficient Supercharger session. In cold weather the battery may not be able to be fully warmed to this temperature but the vehicle will still be able to be charged using the Supercharger just not at the maximum charging rate.

As for the Energy screen, this only displays energy used while driving so any energy used for preconditioning using the Tesla phone app or using the Scheduled Departure setting located on the Charging screen inside the Tesla vehicle will not be factored/displayed on the Energy Screen.

You can observe how much energy is being used while preconditioning if the vehicle is plugged in and the battery has already completing charging to the maximum charging level that you have set. For example, yesterday I charged my Model Y to 80%, charging completed after 1 hour. I turned on the Climate Control using the Tesla app and when I opened up the Model Y the Charging screen indicated that the Model Y was charging at 1kW (normally when charging at this particular public charging station the charging rate is 6kW.) So only ~1kW was being used to precondition the Model Y (in this case the HVAC was set to Auto and cooling the passenger cabin from 83F to 70F.)

In general the HVAC system will use much less energy than when the motor stators are being used to warm up the battery, the passenger cabin. I don't have an exact figure but probably no more than about 50% so somewhere around 4kW maximum. To be more precise would require installing a tool such as Scan My Tesla or TeslaFi or observing the Energy Screen while parked out doors in 95F temperatures and letting the vehicle warm up. (Note if Cabin Overheat Protection is turned on the Tesla vehicle will automatically turn on the HVAC fan and also the AC compressor (depending on the settings you select for Cabin Overheat Protection.) With the Cabin Overheat Protection turned on, able to run the AC, the cabin temperature should not exceed ~105F. When you do enter the vehicle or use the Tesla app to turn on the Climate Control to precondition the cabin it will be faster and use less energy to cool the cabin from 105F to your preferred cabin temperature (~70F) than if Cabin Overheat Protection was not active and the temperature inside the passenger cabin was allowed to reach 140F or higher.

In winter temperatures when you precondition the Tesla Mode Y, assume that the vehicle uses ~6kW (for illustration purposes) while preconditioning. If you precondition for one hour this will use 6kWh. If you precondition for 10 minutes this would use ~1kWh, for 30 minutes 3kWh. When you consider that charging from a 120V/15A circuit is limited to 12A and 120V X 12A = 1.4kW you can see how topping up the battery while plugged into a 120V receptacle is not very practical. You would need to charge for more than 40 minutes to top up the battery after preconditioning for just 10 minutes, by then the vehicle's passenger cabin would have cooled down. (Even though the battery is charging at 1.4kW you are using 6kW to precondition the Tesla vehicle so the net energy drain on the battery is ~4.5kW. Instead of taking 40 minutes to finish topping off the battery after preconditioning maybe only 35 minutes additional would be required.)

In summer, again for illustrative purposes, assume the HVAC uses 3kW and you precondition for 10 minutes. This would be 0.5kWh used over the 10 minutes, 1.5kWh for 30 minutes of preconditioning. Using 120V/12A charging to top up the battery after 10 minutes of preconditioning in warm weather would take ~20 minutes. This assumes you stopped preconditioning so the cabin would start heating up again over the 20 minutes as the outside air temperature would still be ~95F. (Since the Tesla vehicle is plugged into a 120V receptacle. charging at 1.4kW rate the net energy drain o the battery would be ~1.5kW. Instead of taking 20 minutes to finish topping off the battery after preconditioning maybe only 15 minutes additional would be required.)

Just as with cooling down the cabin in warm weather the energy needed to warm the battery pack and the passenger cabin in cold weather will vary with the temperature and conditions. If snow and sleet has been falling during the day and the vehicle is parked outside then you will want to turn on the maximum defrost function using the Tesla app before you drive to help to melt the snow and ice from the windshield, other windows. When you double tap on the windshield defroster icon on the Climate Control screen within the Tesla app this will activate maximum defrost function (the icon changes from blue (for defogging) to red (for maximum defrosting.) You may need to precondition the vehicle for more than 10 minutes depending on the conditions, especially if defrosting the windows.

Last edited:
Anyone using a 5-20, how many miles/hr do you get?
This chart on the adapters page shows approximately how many miles per hour charging speeds per each different type of vehicle.

This chart on the adapters page shows approximately how many miles per hour charging speeds per each different type of vehicle.

I question the data on the Tesla NEMA plug adapter chart for the 5-20 plug adapter, not only for the Model Y but also for the Model S, X and 3. Example: If the NEMA 6-20 plug adapter (supports charging at up to 240V/16A) can charge at 14 miles per hour then the 5-20 plug adapter (supports charging at up to 120V/16A) should be capable of charging at up to 7 miles per hour.

• Love
I question the data on the Tesla NEMA plug adapter chart for the 5-20 plug adapter, not only for the Model Y but also for the Model S, X and 3. Example: If the NEMA 6-20 plug adapter (supports charging at up to 240V/16A) can charge at 14 miles per hour then the 5-20 plug adapter (supports charging at up to 120V/16A) should be capable of charging at up to 7 miles per hour.
Not necessarily as there is the amount of energy that is wasted for powering the car, something like 250W. It's the same no matter how fast you charge.

That's why it is more efficient to charge faster (of course once you get to 32/40/48A at 240V the 250W is only a fraction of that).

250Wh of Tesla Model Y overhead when powered on equates to ~1 mile per hour less when charging, maybe a bit more. So instead of being able to charge at 6 or 7 miles per hour it should stated in the table as 5 miles per hour but not 4 miles per hour.

Reactions: frankvb
Ah, I thought the person asked about a 6-20. The numbers for the 240V outlet types are all pretty accurate. But ever since the Model 3 came out and Tesla re-published the charts with Model 3 data in it, it was obvious that the numbers for the 5-15 and 5-20 were laughably wrong.
They list the Model 3 getting only 3 mph from a 5-15 outlet! That number is directly copied over from the old inefficient pig of a Model S from back in 2012-2015. The Model 3 is way better than that!! So yes, from plenty of observation, the Model 3/Y should be at least 5 mph for the 5-15 and more like 7 for the 5-20.
So, sorry, @alekaras for not remembering to clear that up with the chart I linked to.

I'm using the standard wall charger but I can only charge at 8A. When I plug it in, it automatically drops it to that level probably because I also have a freezer in my garage. The freezer is plugged into another outlet, but they are all on the "garage" circuit on my breaker.

So far, the 8A has met my needs, but I wish it was a little faster. (I'm currently only getting 2-3 mph).

How easy/costly would it be to get the outlet I'm currently using for the charger on its own 15A breaker so that I could draw 12A? I'm guessing the electrician would just need to install another switch on the panel and just move the wires to that outlet to the new switch?