Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110 Charging stuck on white T

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all;

Just picked up my Model 3 LR AWD Dual motor last Thursday. Loving everything about it. I have had issues with home charging on 110 a little sporadically. Today it hit the point where I am concerned....

I will plug in the 110 mobile charger and the white T will just stay illuminated. The dash screen states "charging stopped."

I got concerned that the charge port was broken or faulty, so I took it to a level 2 charger (thankfully ~100 ft away) and it worked no problem (though at one point it did say charging was interrupted on the app but it seemed to still be charging when I went out to check on it).

At this point given that the level 2 charger (chargepoint w/ adapter) worked, I am assuming the mobile charger was just dead/faulty to begin with... and maybe today it finally crapped out? I have successfully been able to keep it plugged in with 5 miles/hr charging overnight, but it has been a struggle to get it to "start charging" with a green T. Today I can't get it to charge at all.

Thoughts? Faulty connector/mobile 110 wand? or is charge port screwed?

Hi all;

Just picked up my Model 3 LR AWD Dual motor last Thursday. Loving everything about it. I have had issues with home charging on 110 a little sporadically. Today it hit the point where I am concerned....

I will plug in the 110 mobile charger and the white T will just stay illuminated. The dash screen states "charging stopped."

I got concerned that the charge port was broken or faulty, so I took it to a level 2 charger (thankfully ~100 ft away) and it worked no problem (though at one point it did say charging was interrupted on the app but it seemed to still be charging when I went out to check on it).

At this point given that the level 2 charger (chargepoint w/ adapter) worked, I am assuming the mobile charger was just dead/faulty to begin with... and maybe today it finally crapped out? I have successfully been able to keep it plugged in with 5 miles/hr charging overnight, but it has been a struggle to get it to "start charging" with a green T. Today I can't get it to charge at all.

Thoughts? Faulty connector/mobile 110 wand? or is charge port screwed?

1. This has happened to me a few times, for various reasons like not inserting the charger firmly. Try removing and re-inserting, also removing both from the car and the wall. You can also press "Start Charging" on the app (sometimes works).

2. The mobile connector has status lights that convey specific information. You can post those and/or lookup in the manual. No ground is one of them, IRRC. Number and color of lights, as well as their blinking pattern are what to look for.

3. As one person has mentioned, improper grounding is a likely situation.

4. Doesn't quite fit your situation

We had that problem the first time a Tesla came to visit (before we had ours). It turned out that the outlet we were plugging into was improperly grounded. Fixed the outlet, and, Voila! Have you tried charging from a different outlet?

I tried two different outlets -- one in the garage and then another through a 50ft drop cord (10g) across the entire apartment. No change.
After like an hour hold with Tesla I spoke to a rep who said to bring the charging unit into a service center without an appointment and they can test it to see if it is faulty.

Because I am neurotic I also just tested it again at the level 2 charger and once again it flawlessly worked... so... hoping it is just the 110 unit itself. Will probably test the supercharger 20 mins away from me tomorrow evening. Slightly concerned the wands themselves might not fit appropriately in the charge port. But all signs right now indicate it is just the 110 unit itself being faulty.

I tried two different outlets -- one in the garage and then another through a 50ft drop cord (10g) across the entire apartment. No change.
After like an hour hold with Tesla I spoke to a rep who said to bring the charging unit into a service center without an appointment and they can test it to see if it is faulty.

Because I am neurotic I also just tested it again at the level 2 charger and once again it flawlessly worked... so... hoping it is just the 110 unit itself. Will probably test the supercharger 20 mins away from me tomorrow evening. Slightly concerned the wands themselves might not fit appropriately in the charge port. But all signs right now indicate it is just the 110 unit itself being faulty.

Just plug it in and record the lights on the mobile connector.

1. This has happened to me a few times, for various reasons like not inserting the charger firmly. Try removing and re-inserting, also removing both from the car and the wall. You can also press "Start Charging" on the app (sometimes works).

2. The mobile connector has status lights that convey specific information. You can post those and/or lookup in the manual. No ground is one of them, IRRC. Number and color of lights, as well as their blinking pattern are what to look for.

3. As one person has mentioned, improper grounding is a likely situation.

4. Doesn't quite fit your situation

1. I have removed and reinserted about 100 times lol. Nothing helped.
2. All green lights are on but nto flowing. Manual states --- Power on. Mobile Connector is powered and standing by, but not charging. Make sure the Mobile Connector is plugged into the vehicle.
3. Wouldn't this have shown up as a problem on day one if it was faulty grounding? Doesn't seem to fit I guess, but I also don't have a tester to test the outlet(s) that I have plugged into.

1. I have removed and reinserted about 100 times lol. Nothing helped.
2. All green lights are on but nto flowing. Manual states --- Power on. Mobile Connector is powered and standing by, but not charging. Make sure the Mobile Connector is plugged into the vehicle.
3. Wouldn't this have shown up as a problem on day one if it was faulty grounding? Doesn't seem to fit I guess, but I also don't have a tester to test the outlet(s) that I have plugged into.

All on is means "Power on. Mobile Connector is powered and standing by, but not charging". They suggest you check the connection to the car. Check it visually to see if it has damage.

ah, I see you posted that also. At least your car isn't damaged.

Try a plug at someone else’s house as well, just to gather one more data point. If it doesn’t work at another location then it’s gotta be the “charger” (mobile connector), if it does work, save yourself a trip to the SC and fix whatever is wrong at home.

Question on par with “did you turn it on?” ... but ... did you check if scheduled charging is set at that location? Even moving 100’ away is enough to disable the scheduled charge setting which is GPS-based.