Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110 mile range with 330wh/mile consumption!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real-world range on my 2014 60Kwh model S has degraded big time in the last few years, despite having driven only 35K miles, never supercharged and rarely charge to full. After my last 90% charge, I let it run down to almost empty with before and after pics. Right after charging, the dash claimed I had 173 miles of range. (Which sounds reasonable, since it would show 180 when new.)

Tesla-range-173mi.jpg

Fast forward a few days: after driving 103 miles, I had 7 remaining - meaning 110 total range!

Tesla-range-110mi.jpg

Here's the kicker: it still has the audacity to claim that I consumed 330 Wh/mile since last charge, which is not mathematically possible. Assuming conservatively that I had 50Kwh to start with (90% - natural degradation), my consumption was actually 50K/110 = 454.5. What could account for the massive discrepancy between what it tells me I got and what I actually got?

I routinely lose 40% or more while in town. Which is to say that the now 276-mile range in my S90D is actually 130-150 miles from a full charge when schlepping about (client visits, short trips, errands).

Of course, when on the road, I can get all of the 276 miles of range on flat highways during mild wx w/ no headwinds.

Lately since *20.*, the ancillary drain is more pronounced - can be 7%/day.

That’s partly why I laugh when people say we don’t need 400-mile range. Rated range is elusive for most, regardless of the happy exceptions to the rule.

I routinely lose 40% or more while in town. Which is to say that the now 276-mile range in my S90D is actually 130-150 miles from a full charge when schlepping about (client visits, short trips, errands).

Of course, when on the road, I can get all of the 276 miles of range on flat highways during mild wx w/ no headwinds.

Lately since *20.*, the ancillary drain is more pronounced - can be 7%/day.

That’s partly why I laugh when people say we don’t need 400-mile range. Rated range is elusive for most, regardless of the happy exceptions to the rule.
Wow. Thanks for the feedback Tao! Yes, the days I was measuring the range I was schlepping around town (my commute is 6 miles of stop and go traffic) with little highway. I certainly don't expect to get as good range as on flat highways going 60, but wow, your shlepping range sounds even worse than mine! Mine definitely used to be not nearly as bad as it is now. I'll measure it on the highway over the weekend and compare.

Wow. Thanks for the feedback Tao! Yes, the days I was measuring the range I was schlepping around town (my commute is 6 miles of stop and go traffic) with little highway. I certainly don't expect to get as good range as on flat highways going 60, but wow, your shlepping range sounds even worse than mine! Mine definitely used to be not nearly as bad as it is now. I'll measure it on the highway over the weekend and compare.

You’re welcome and good luck.

As another real-time datapoint, I just left the car at 5pm at 16%. Came out at 6pm and it’s now at 11%. That’s an all-time worst in 5 years of driving these overgrown golf carts (both Model Ses). 5% in an hour? No HVAC since below 20%.

5% in an hour of PARKING?!?!?!

Will report that to Tesla and bring it up at next week’s SvC appointment.

May yer weekend results be much better.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
I'm thinking there's something up with your BMS or battery modules. If I'm understanding your pictures correctly, you charged up to 90%(173 range mi), drove it for 102.7 mi while consuming 33.9kWh and find yourself with 7 range mi (3.6%).

It's possible that your car wasn't going to sleep overnight and consuming a large amount of energy while it was parked. Try a screen reboot and monitor standby consumption (compare your charge level before and after parking overnight).

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
Base on my experience vampire drain can be quite a bit. I do have a blackvue camera constantly running and my 12v lead acid battery is about 3.5 years old base on manufacture date. I lose about 14kwh if I dont drive my car for about 4 days. I know this because I start out at 90% and then charge it back up and read what I put back into the car. All in all vampire drain goes up as your 12v battery ages because it has to charge more often. Also if it the weather is overly hot or cold, the car will kick in to keep the battery in a nice comfortable range.

So this is pretty common if it was about a few days without being plugged.

I would fully charge and drive in one session to really see if your capacity has gone down.

This is pretty common at low states of charge when the battery cools. If it’s cold enough out, the car will even warm you about it when you park with less than 20% remaining.

I recall the warning at less than 20% when cold. That day, it was in the 70s on the coast.

Not once did I experience a 5% loss in an hour with the previous Model S (S85). Same location. If this is an improved BMS, they can have it back.

This is a sell-the-car-and-go-back-to-an-ICE type of problem. It would behoove Tesla to fix it, and fix it quickly.

And that's coming from someone who hasn't pumped a single gallon of gas in just about 5 years.